“Good location, awful hotel”
Review of Episode Hotel

Episode Hotel
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Leamington Spa
“Good location, awful hotel”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Where to start?! First impressions were not good. A lovely building but so shabby outside. The pictures on the website make this place look lovely but they only provide pictures of the newly refurbished rooms. I was shocked when I saw our not yet refurbished room. Dated, the wallpaper was coming off and it was pretty tiny. After reading the reviews on here I thought all the rooms would've been done up by now as some of the reviews date back to 2009.

The main problem with the room was the lights. There was one very dim one above the door but as you round the corner into the main part of the room there isn't any! Well, a very dim lamp but that wasn't very useful. I was just glad we were staying in summer so it was light outside or your wouldn't stand a chance of seeing anything. The beds were incredibly uncomfortable and the bathroom was tiny and dirty. The window didn't open in our room so it was horribly warm.

The bar staff weren't very friendly or good! We ordered 2 glasses of prosecco, we got one straight away but it was flat and then it took 5 minutes to get the other one. No apologies. Yes, the bar area and outside have had a makeover and it looks ok but the staff seem to think its amazing and act like people aren't good enough to stay there. Snobby, pretentious and arrogant.

The location is really good though, a 2 minute walk into the town centre.

I wouldn't stay here again, the rooms are truly terrible and the staff are pretty rude. They describe it as a boutique hotel which is just laughable.

1 Thank A P
sandra_sitoianu, Manager at Episode Hotel, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear A P,

Thank you for submitting your review on Trip Advisor and I am really sorry to hear your experience at our hotel did not meet your expectations.
Having investigated all the issues you mentioned I can confirm maintenance work is being carried out at the moment to rectify the noisy fan situation.
Your comment regarding the staff surprises me, as everyone praises the friendliness of our staff and furthermore the error made had been rectified straight away. Please accept my apologies about it.
All your comments have been dully noted, I hope you will find my reply satisfactory and I am really sorry you didn't inform us of any of these issues during your stay as we would have gladly rectified them for you.

Kind regards,

Sandra Sitoianu

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

Upon arrival to the hotel there was no space to park, however the hotel suggested we park in the local streets as its free. If you stay here be careful as some streets are permit holders only.

Check in was quick and easy and we were off to our room. The room was very basic and in need of some TLC with wallpaper coming off the wall, two single bed pushed together out of line with the two single head boards and scaled up shower head. However the small headed shower with some scaling was deceiving and pressure not bad. The towels were nice, big and fluffy just how I like.

We had some issues in the night as our window wouldn't stay open, when I told reception it seemed like it was a problem they knew about as they asked if I used the fan in the room. I told them I might if there was one. They provided one but unfortunately it was a little old and very noisy. Therefore giving us the dilemma of being hot and noise free or cooler and can't sleep lol.

During the night we were woken up by a drunk man knocking on doors which isn't the fault of the hotel and to be fair to them the night porter was quickly up to sort it out.

One saving grace was the breakfast which I felt was nice. I know a couple of people have moaned about the scrambled eggs and yes for some they maybe slightly undercooked but I found them ok, so a matter of opinion. I would say the black pudding and sausage may not be to everyone's taste.

When checking out we informed the receptionist about our mixed stay. She was very apologetic and even knew about the drinken man prior to us saying. we were given 25% discount. In my mind everyone has off days it's how you deal with them.

I wouldn't rush back but equally wouldn't advise not staying here just don't be expecting top quality rooms.

• Stayed May 2013
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Staying here one night. Arrived late however staff were helpful just the bed is horredous. The bottom must have collapsed as the mattress goes into a V shape and I've spent the whole night rolling into the centre and if I sleep on my right side it's like sleeping up hill! Also v noisy and an alarm in room opposite went off for half an hour. Would stay here if they bought new beds. Avoid the room at the top of the hotel.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Saralizzie

Travelers are raving about these Leamington Spa hotels

Leeds, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I stayed at the episode for a one night business trip. Staff were great and we very helpful to all on our party. The hotel was clean and the room was comfortable and modern. The only shame is that the breakfast was not great. You get the feeling the chef knows how to cook but instead of serving freshly cooked eggs (which a hotel of this size should) they are serving some processed rubbish. Real shame but otherwise a lovely little place and would stay again, will just avoid the eggs!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Mark M
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 11, 2013

My husband & I had a superb afternoon tea at this hotel today. We arrived 50 mins early but were told we could be served straight away. We were served 4 sandwiches & 4 cakes each plus a huge pot of tea!Staff were friendly,helpful,attentive & there was a lovely atmosphere in the hotel. This was a Buyagift voucher but thoroughly enjoyable

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KazzaH46
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 8, 2013

my girlfriend booked the italian wine tasting last night on a groupon voucher that cost £20 per person with dinner described by the Episode as (Hearty meal)...
i'm not a wine expert but white wines should be served cold we had 3 different wines red and white on same glass.
as for the food we had a small salad for starter a small bowl of pasta for main the pasta was tasteless no bread or butter with the meal .
for dessert we were offered tiramisu or cheese at a extra cost £4.50.
at this point i said to the waitress that i would be going for a burger next door!
and from her reaction i'm not the first to say that.

groupon deals is a opportunity to impress so that guest will return at £20 for a small salad and a small bowl of tasteless pasta with wines supplied by a company that was only hoping to sell wine and i can only assume that the hotel even charge the wine company to organise the evening .
The best thing about the night was the lady that did the talk on the wines she was excellent shame that the hotel did not give her more glasses .

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank semilha
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 5, 2013

My family received vouchers for afternoon tea for Christmas with a choice of a few locations. Despite none being particularly local we decided on the Episode Hotel for a birthday treat, as Leamington is a nice place to wander round and still within reasonable driving distance.

So having booked a week or so in advance (making specific mention of the afternoon tea vouchers) and driving an hour out of our way, we walked around the wonderful Jephson Gardens and the Pump Rooms for two hours or so to work up an appetite.

Upon arriving at the distinctly empty Episode Hotel and being shown to our seats we were informed that we would not be able to have afternoon tea as, whoever had taken our reservation had not specified what it was for.

Apparently afternoon tea is made up the day before by the chef and, as the reservation had no indication this was necessary, no afternoon tea was available. Clearly they don’t offer afternoon tea to passing trade so I don’t understand their position in offering afternoon tea through this voucher scheme.

In lieu, we were offered 3 for the price of 2 Sunday lunches. Seeing as there were 5 of us I’m not sure how they planned on that ‘deal’ working and suffice to say we declined. It seems like a fairly essential and none-too-difficult task to indicate on the reservation if afternoon tea is required. At the very least, in the unfortunate case that an incompetent minion manages to forget to make note of the seemingly essential information, a ‘reserve’ should be available. We weren’t even offered a cup of tea.

Hopeless.