“Hotel with character”

Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Leamington Spa
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Hotel with character”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Enjoyable stay , friendly helpful staff ,food was excellent especially the steaks and bar staff ensured that my specific requested cocktail was made well. The room was an good size (room 5) and had an lovely decor .Bathroom clean with a good size bath and a powerfull shower. The hotel has a lot of character and is an great place to explore Leamington Spa from.

Room Tip: Room 5 is an good size and the steaks are great value.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed March 24, 2013

In Leamington on business - hotel is nothing like the website. It is tired, worn and in need of major refurbishment if it wants to be considered "boutique". Room was large but bed not comfortable (could see matress through the sheet) and the shower was on a fixed fitting that flooded the bathroom. Wifi very slow. Breakfast very basic with limited choice.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank travelsalot321

Travelers are raving about these Leamington Spa hotels

York, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Booked a two night stay as a gift experience - hotel not as described. A mix of old and new. We were provided a Superior room (28) - sloping ceilings but told not an attic room. Bathroom clean but basic - with powerful shower - none of the usual basics such as shower cap, glasses for drink/mouth rinse.

Bedroom dark no natural light. Furnishings (apparently recently refurbished). We looked at a room next door (as the only alternative) and it seemed that the furniture between the two rooms had been mixed up by the builders! (did mention this to the receptionist). We kept no 28 as the best of the two.

TV - very poor reception not really watchable and no wi-fii reception in room.

Window very small and wouldn't open. Black mould on window frame and puddle of water on cill. Room cold radiator seemed not to work but when I mentioned it to staff at 7pm - was told just needed to switch the main on and I wondered how many people don't say anything and freeze.

Restaurant - food ok but nothing flash and does not live up to expectations from web site. Tried smoked salmon and scrambled egg at breakfast - salmon was the cheap off cuts so poor quality. Asked for yoghurt and they'd run out. Breakfast spoiled by people wandering around checking facilities for a meeting - the hotel is small and probably books out to local organisations for training/meetings as further income generation.

Service - restaurant no-one to greet for dinner so we sat and helped ourselves to menu to be "told off" by the waitress who asked if we had booked and sighed when we told her that we hadn't and that reception had said it was ok just to come down for dinner. The waitress abruptly told us that we should have gone to the bar first so that she could see us and take us to our seats - and that we must do that next time. It's a shame that hadn't been pointed out or that we hadn't taken a crystal ball. Having said that she was pleasant thereafter.

Good points - central for Leamington town centre, free parking and easy distance for Warwick.
Literature says they are two thirds through a refurb - may improve in time.

Would we stay again - no.

Room Tip: Superior rooms are on the top floor - no lift. Rooms at rear of building quieter. Key locks and ol...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Stayed overnight in this hotel whilst on a business trip. Staff were very good and helpful. It is a typical mid range British independant type of hotel, so a bit faded but it does the job. Excellent location for center of town. Good value in quite an expensive town, and wi-fi made it good for work and meetings.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

Here on business so only stopping for one night. Seen other reviews so thought episode would be a little bit of a treat at the end of a long day. Unimpressed overall - reasons:
No wifi.
No free view tv- just 5 barely tuned channels.
No in room air con. A radiator that is off and no way of turning it up.
Extract vent in bathroom that comes on noisily whenever you switch on the bathroom light and then does not turn off for nearly 10 mins once you turn off the light.
Shower set at one height that can't change ( unless you direct jet straight ahead into bathroom) and at 5'3" I had to duck under to wet my head.
Prehistoric door locks that mean you cannot check if your door is locked once inside the room. No chain on door either.
No safe in room.
Furniture is filthy and most is falling apart.
Super thin walls so I can hear everything going on outside and around room.
Leamington is low on hotels within walking of town but I would not come back here unless I had no other option. The angel in town is more central and has better facilities despite being same price range. Or as much as I hate to say it as they are so generic- head for the new premier inn on the parade. Good value, clean and secure. Secure for me being the big key here given that I am travelling alone

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank jolo336
sandra_sitoianu, General Manager at Episode Hotel, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear Jolo,

Thank you for submitting your review on Tripadvisor and I am really sorry to hear your experience at our hotel did not meet your expectations.
Having investigated all the issues you mentioned I can confirm mantenance work is being carried out at the moment to rectify the noisy fan situation. With regards to the TV, we are currently upgrading the television system in the entire hotel, unfortunately, the works hadn't been finalised at the time of your stay.
Your comment regarding the price paid surprises me, as our rates are very competitive and commensurate with the local market and facilities offered.
Furthermore, I would like to confirm that all hotel doors do lock if you push the button on the door handle, and they are all safe.
All your comments have been dully noted, please accept my apologies with regards to the inconveniences encountered. I hope you will find my reply satisfactory and I am really sorry you didn't inform us of any of these issues during your stay as we would have gladly rectified them for you.

Kind regards,

Sandra Sitoianu
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 7, 2013

We booked for a two night stay with KGB deals which included a glass of wine on arrival. Check in with the receptionist was very quick & she hardly looked up from what she was doing and no mention of the wine but on asking was told "just to mention it to the waitress in the bar". We were allocated room 15 which was up in the loft space (I'd already checked out the hotel on Trip advisor & had read about this room!!) The first thing that hit you as you walked through the door was the horrendous smell of drains - it was quite overpowering because the room was so small. The bed was built into the eves and there was a small settee and dressing table but cramped and nowhere really to put our suitcase although there was a cupboard to hang coats. The bathroom was nice enough. I wanted to change rooms but my partner pursuaded me just to "put up with it cos its only for two nights & we'll be out most of the time!" The bed was large but although the window was only small there was a gap round it that you could poke your finger through and it was minus 3 outside at night so you could feel the cold on the top of your head!
Breakfast was nice and the waiting staff were pleasant. The decor was very nice downstairs and they had some amazing light fixtures!
The same receptionist was on duty when we left and when she asked us if we'd had a nice stay I told her that it was ok apart from the room being very smelly & clostraphobic and no good for tall people because of the eves she seemed so uninterested!! I would stay again but NOT in room 15!!

Room Tip: Avoid room 15
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hull
Reviewed March 4, 2013

This was my second visit to the Episode, great location, car park was easier to get into this time around which didnt help on my last visit.
the mattress was best its best and I was also awoken in the small hours by other guests, otherwise it would get full marks.
decent value, bar prices a little high and the food was fine.
Yes I will return.