“Enjoyable”

Ranked #13 of 16 Hotels in Leamington Spa
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Had an excellent stay at this hotel. We encountered a problem with a generator outside our room on the first night. However the reception staff did their utmost to rectify the problem. The rooms are very comfortable There is a widescreen tv, hairdryer, iron and ironing board and free wi fi. The breakfast was absolutetely scrumptious, consisting of danish pastries.cereals, fruit , full english or salmon and scrambled eggs. I would definately return again and recommend this hotel to friends and family.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I let my boyfriend book a hotel as i was at work and when i looked at the one he chose on trip advisor i wasnt happy. When we arrived we went to our room and it was grubby, old and tired, i took my shoes off and walked to the bed and had to wipe my feet clean as they had crumbs/stones on them? I then layed down on the bed and started to feel itchy and breathless and remembered people are allowed to take dogs and im allergic! I needed a pub to have a few drinks before i could stay here so we went out. The next morning i had a bath as there was no shower not even one attached to the taps! You had to be a contortionist to wash your hair it was a small corner bath and you had to put one leg up a wall and the other dangle out the bath just so i could wash it! The curtains had paint on them! The breakfast was just ok. All this cost us £95 for one night! The hotel needs a complete refurb and until then needs to be a lot cheaper, i would not stay here again even for free!

Room Tip: There is no swimming pool, i couldnt take it off sorry
3 Thank wendyb1970

Travelers are raving about these Leamington Spa hotels

Saltburn-by-the-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 7, 2013

My wife and myself stayed at the Falstaff hotel Leamington Spa weekend of 3rd may for 3 nights plus our dog for my having previously lived in Leamington .
Reading previous reviews for the hotel we were very unsure what to find on our stay now for the good points the hotel was extremely clean full marks to housekeeping,The breakfasts were superb
full marks to kitchen team the bar was extremely welcoming,Our room was airy bright and very
comfortable.
Bad points after checking in and trying to work the tv in the room for 15 minutes with no success
on reporting issue to reception only to be told most of the televisions in the hotel were not working and they could not say when they would be working again and no other rooms were avialable,Overcharged on our booking asked to speak to the manager on several occasions only to be told he only works monday to friday 9-5 and never on weekends or bank holidays
and most members of staff barely see him or any directors they are not interested in customer service or complaints so i find it incredible in todays climate the owners take this cavalier attitude and it is sad when the staff work so hard to look after guests the management just seem to desert the hotel what could be a great asset to them only if they could be bothered.

2 Thank johnstearn
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We booked three rooms, myself and daughter arrived first so asked lady on reception if we could have a coffee while awaiting the rest of the party. No coffee, no staff o! She did suggest I go to me room and make one! Bedrooms, small, dingy, smelly and even had stains on the valance! Wardrobe broken, so didn't open. On returning at 10.30pm no staff manning the bar, had to go and find someone, breakfast was nice but it was like fawlty towers, two turned up then other two arrived 10mins later, other tables were being given the wrong food. The hotel is very tired and this made the staff appear tired too, needs a right overall, until then no chance we will return!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Bramble02
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 26, 2013

I stayed 2 nights. When I arrived I said to the receptionist that I had been reading reviews and could I have a nice room please? She said "don't believe all read on trip advisor". As it turns out the advice on this site was spot on. The hotel was very tired-exhausted in fact-and my room ,room7, was dark and dingy and pokey. The bathroom, whilst not actually dirty, wasn't clean either but worst of all it smelled of rotten potatoes. Even with the window open it was not possible to get rid of the smell.
The food at dinner was ok but not great and, as such, was poor value. On the second morning at 8.20 most of the breakfast had been cleared away and there was no hot food left, only cereals and toast. Unacceptable. Service at breakfast was haphazard.
Overall I could not recommend The Falstaff on any count. One positive, however. I forgot my toothbrush and the hotel provided one free! It has to be bad for that to be the most positive aspect of the hotel "experience"!

Room Tip: Not room 7!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank jazz057
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I stayed in the hotel as part of a group booking for an annual dinner. I had no say in the choice. When I read some of the reviews, I was a little concerned because several were very negative. I was also puzzled by the fact that they were so different from several 5* reviews that followed. My concerns were not realised. The check-in procedure was efficient and quick. My single room, while compact was well appointed, clean and well laid out. I have my own rating system for rooms and I gave it 8/10. The conference facilities were good, staff were very helpful and obliging. Breakfast was satisfactory, plenty of choice and availability, but could have been hotter. The main meals for the two dinners were very good, drinks were reasonably priced and the buffet lunch on departure adequate. The hotel is well placed and located within reasonable walking distance of the town. It is attractive, plenty of seating in the lobby, although it will probably need freshening up in a couple of years. Overall I enjoyed my stay and give it 4/5.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Birmingham
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Just had a weekend stay at the hotel with two friends for attending a wedding. We paid £68 for a family suite (room only), and I was a bit worried about what I'd find after reading the reviews here, but for just over £22 each I was happy with what I found.

I arrived half an hour before the check in time, but I was given the key to my room straight away, great. The room itself was hotter than the sun, so I turned down the radiator hoping it would be cooler when we returned in the evening. Unfortunately this wasn't the case. We reported the problem to the night porter at 11pm, and he was extremely helpful, quickly moving us to another room for the night. No problems with the night porter when we rang the bell for him to open the front door at 3am too!

The huge room itself was absolutely fine, no problems with cleaniless or the amenities. One slight problem was the bathroom though - the shower and the taps have been installed so hot water comes out of the cold water tap, and vice versa. Bizarre, but not a problem once you work it out - definitely something to note if you're in room 29!

Can't comment on the restaurant or the bar since we didn't use them, but the hotel is only a 10-15 minutes walk from the town centre, so it's brilliantly located for Leamington's many bars and restaurants.

All in all, a value for money stay, with great service from the staff.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
frequenthoteluser37, General Manager at Falstaff Hotel, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to complete your review. Your constructive comments are appreciated and have been shared with the team here at the hotel. I can confirm that the tap indicators in Room 29 have been switched back to the correct position. Thank you once again. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.