“Event & stay”

Ranked #15 of 18 Hotels in Leamington Spa
Rugby, United Kingdom
“Event & stay”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

My Partner & I stayed for one evening at the Falstaff for an event which was superb, & found the staff to be friendly & helpful, Breaky was lovely & tasty, its a small Hotel which was imaculate & a great location for the lovely spa town with parking which really helps, our room was modern & to a good standard, we would definately reccomend this Leamington Spa Hotel & will return.

Thanks for a lovely stay

Room Tip: We were on the first floor at the front of the Hotel which was perfect & very quiet
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lisa s
frequenthoteluser37, General Manager at Falstaff Hotel, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
On behalf of the team here at the Falstaff Hotel I would like to thank you for your recent review. Your comments have been circulated around the departments highlighted and are much appreciated. Thank you once again. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I've been staying off and on at this hotel for 4 months now. The staff are always friendly and go out of their way to help. The rooms are of mixed quality but overall the hotel is much improved with a lot of investment gone in to refurbishment. The food quality is great and I frequently eat in.
The WiFi is free, although a bit patchy throughout the hotel. I've found other reviews a bit dsingenuous... Its a 10 minute walk to the Town centre, and the same to the station (although you do ave to take the short cut through the park..).

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank P3scatore
Thank you for your feedback. I have passed your comments on to my colleagues here at the hotel who would like to convey their thanks also. Following a recent upgrade to the WiFi system the hotel does benefit from a much improved signal strength and coverage. Further improvements to the bar, restaurant and introduction of the new A la carte menu are also being well received. Our continued improvements to the bedrooms are ongoing, thank you for your acknowledgment. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.
Ornex, Rhone-Alpes, France
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Due to a cancelled flight, I was booked into this hotel by the airline company. I have stayed on the Parade in Leamington on a couple of occasions and, for the same price, this hotel was certainly superior, if a little bit far from the town centre. The room was very comfortable, clean and well-equipped, as was the bathroom. While I could close the window over, I could not shut it entirely. Also, the heating did not work and it was snowing outside. However, when I complained about the heating, the staff brought a little blow-heater immediately and the room warmed up nicely. I had a nice drink in the bar with my kids and the evening meal was delicious. While the hotel itself is very presentable, the real gem here is the staff. All those I met were extremely helpful, friendly and polite. It is located a good ten-minute walk from the Parade which is not really a problem if the weather is reasonable. However, when leaving for the station, it would be best to take a taxi. Would I return? Yes, definitely.

Room Tip: I was in room 31 and happy with it. However, there was a conference on at the time and one of the p...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Emmajo01
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Your feedback is very much appreciated. I have circulated your comments around the team here at the hotel and ee look forward to welcoming you back when you are in the area in the future. Thank you once again.
United Kingdom
Reviewed January 15, 2013

The hotel is very good value and the rooms reflect the price, a fair deal for a good price.

The receptionist was very nice and extremly helpful on arrival and departure, it was what happened in during our stay that left us coming away wondering how this hotel suvives.

My friend had travelled from Guernsey to meet me for a birthday celebration in Leamington, we booked the hotel due to its location, this was the first disapointment it was at least a 20 minute walk to the centre of town and even further to the railway station, due to luggage and also being 2 ladies in our 50's we decided that it was too far to walk with luggage and also too remote to walk to and from after dark, so we ended up spending over £30 in taxi fayres (minimum charges to go anywhere in Leamington is £6!)

We arrived back at a reasonable time on the Saturday evening, very tired and in need of a good nights sleep as my friend was travelling on to Scotland the following day on the train. We were awoken in the early hours to a party that was happening in a nearby room, it went on until nearly 5am! we tried to call a night porter to complain, the phone in the room did not work and there was no mobile reception.
On Sunday morning we dragged ourselves down to breakfast, we made it for 10am to be told that last orders for breakfast are 9.55am and the chef had gone home. We were then served some stewed coffee, which was undrinkable and advised we could help ourself to what was left of the continental breakfast, this consisted of prunes, peaches (no yoghurt) cereals, half a glass of orange juice between us and bread (the toaster wasn't working) We asked the waiter if he could do us a toasted sandwich, he said the best he could do was a normal sandwich so we decided to forget it and go to Weatherspoons. Whilst we had no problem with the waiter, he was as helpful as he could have been, maybe the chef could have gone slightly out of his way? we only actually would of wanted a bacon sandwich or similar as neither of us are big breakfast eaters.

The hotel was truly good value for money but they need to work on their customer satisfaction, a sleepless night and a poor breakfast experience surely should be the central focus of the business? We did understand that we only just made breakfast and would have been happy to have had toast/bacon sandwich, the fact that the chef had gone home at 10am and was not flexible ended our stay at the hotel in a bad light.

Thank goodness for the very nice and polite receptionist!

Room Tip: Do not stop here if you want a lazy Sunday Morning
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank greenfriendly
frequenthoteluser37, General Manager at Falstaff Hotel, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Thank you for the kind comments regarding the receptionist on duty during your recent stay. Please also accept my sincere pologies for the difficulties experienced. Your comments have been circulated around the team here at the hotel. May I assure you that corrective action will take place to prevent future repetition. I am sorry that we did not exceed your expectations on this occasion.

Travelers are raving about these Leamington Spa hotels

Montrose, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 30, 2012

This hotel has virtually no resemblance to their advertisement. On arrival were were placed in probably the smallest room in the hotel, even though there were few residents. There was mould around the bath and the room was not fresh with a strong smell of damp. The shower pressure was very low and failed to give us enough water to bathe properly. Reported same to the receptionist who advised it would be repaired. Full English Breakfast next morning consisted of one small egg, two rashers of bacon and a single sausage. Despite staff apologizing for the lack of completeness, we left the table hungry.

On returning to the hotel in the evening, we discovered our room had not been made up. On advising the receptionist we found she was aggressive and cared little about correcting the issue...no management or staff on evening shift she advised. All rooms were apparently fully booked (sic). A passing barman, assisted by intervening and at least, getting us some fresh towels. Unfortunately nothing had been done to repair the shower!!!

Breakfast next morning was an disorganized affair with many items again missing from the buffet and given out only on request from myself and other residents.

I strongly urge you not to consider this hotel during a stay in this lovely town. We will certainly not be using it again!!

Room Tip: Go to another hotel!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Whurlyburd
Leamington Spa
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Well I called before going there to get a twin room and got told there was one available room number28 so gave the receptionist (Dennis) my money for the room and stuff and when I got to the room there was holes in the ceiling couldn't close window properly so room was very cold despite me trying to go downstairs and couldn't find Dennis so when I checked out the lady in reception told me that her manager would get hold of me yet its been a week now and still no call what so ever

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Jon A
frequenthoteluser37, General Manager at Falstaff Hotel, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Thank you for your recent review. Please accept my apologies for the difficuties experienced. I have passed your comments to the maintenance department where corrective action will take place where required. Please also accept my apologies for not contacting you following your stay. I have a very proactive approach to guest feedback so please feel free to contact me at a time convenient to you to discuss further. My apologies once agan.
Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Having read some of the less than complimentary reviews of the Falstaff I was a little apprehensive. However, I should not have worried. There is plenty of parking, both in front and to the rear of the hotel but a SatNav takes you to the front. We were greeted by a very cheerful receptionist on Friday evening who was very professional in her approach (sorry that I didn't get her name as I like to give praise for good service). I had asked for a king-size bed which was achieved by putting two singles together; despite this it was a very comfortable couple of nights' sleep. My only real quibble was that although there was a very nice corner bath, there was no shower, or even shower attachment on the taps. I can see that there might have been a bit of difficulty in putting one in as the walls of the bathroom were curved in shape, which meant the ceiling over the bath was a little low. The heating in the room was almost too efficient! The bar was well stocked and Julien (?) the French barman was great, very friendly and helpful. Breakfast the first morning was served by Louis (?) - again very pleasant - and on the second he was assisted by Julien. It was the usual help yourself buffet on Sunday but orders were taken for the full English on the Saturday. Surroundings were all very clean and tidy, I loved the decor in the Pistol bar and restaurant, quite theatrical which was no surprise really given the name of the hotel. We didn't have an evening meal there but I spoke to some people who seemed more than satisfied, the cost was very reasonable as well. If you have a well behaved dog I understand they are accepted in the hotel, which is far from usual. Just a word of warning about taxis from the hotel, we ordered one which was incredibly late, not the hotel's fault at all but be careful if you are attending a function as we were. All in all then a very pleasant stay made even more so by excellent staff.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank akay07
frequenthoteluser37, General Manager at Falstaff Hotel, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to complete your guest review. On behalf of the team here I would also like to thank you for the kind comments contained within your feedback. Your review has been circulated around the team here and we all look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.