“Staff will not go out of their way to avoid an unnecersary bad customer experience”
Review of Falstaff Hotel

Falstaff Hotel
Ranked #13 of 16 Hotels in Leamington Spa
Reviewed January 15, 2013

The hotel is very good value and the rooms reflect the price, a fair deal for a good price.

The receptionist was very nice and extremly helpful on arrival and departure, it was what happened in during our stay that left us coming away wondering how this hotel suvives.

My friend had travelled from Guernsey to meet me for a birthday celebration in Leamington, we booked the hotel due to its location, this was the first disapointment it was at least a 20 minute walk to the centre of town and even further to the railway station, due to luggage and also being 2 ladies in our 50's we decided that it was too far to walk with luggage and also too remote to walk to and from after dark, so we ended up spending over £30 in taxi fayres (minimum charges to go anywhere in Leamington is £6!)

We arrived back at a reasonable time on the Saturday evening, very tired and in need of a good nights sleep as my friend was travelling on to Scotland the following day on the train. We were awoken in the early hours to a party that was happening in a nearby room, it went on until nearly 5am! we tried to call a night porter to complain, the phone in the room did not work and there was no mobile reception.
On Sunday morning we dragged ourselves down to breakfast, we made it for 10am to be told that last orders for breakfast are 9.55am and the chef had gone home. We were then served some stewed coffee, which was undrinkable and advised we could help ourself to what was left of the continental breakfast, this consisted of prunes, peaches (no yoghurt) cereals, half a glass of orange juice between us and bread (the toaster wasn't working) We asked the waiter if he could do us a toasted sandwich, he said the best he could do was a normal sandwich so we decided to forget it and go to Weatherspoons. Whilst we had no problem with the waiter, he was as helpful as he could have been, maybe the chef could have gone slightly out of his way? we only actually would of wanted a bacon sandwich or similar as neither of us are big breakfast eaters.

The hotel was truly good value for money but they need to work on their customer satisfaction, a sleepless night and a poor breakfast experience surely should be the central focus of the business? We did understand that we only just made breakfast and would have been happy to have had toast/bacon sandwich, the fact that the chef had gone home at 10am and was not flexible ended our stay at the hotel in a bad light.

Thank goodness for the very nice and polite receptionist!

Room Tip: Do not stop here if you want a lazy Sunday Morning
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank greenfriendly
frequenthoteluser37, General Manager at Falstaff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

Thank you for the kind comments regarding the receptionist on duty during your recent stay. Please also accept my sincere pologies for the difficulties experienced. Your comments have been circulated around the team here at the hotel. May I assure you that corrective action will take place to prevent future repetition. I am sorry that we did not exceed your expectations on this occasion.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

This hotel has virtually no resemblance to their advertisement. On arrival were were placed in probably the smallest room in the hotel, even though there were few residents. There was mould around the bath and the room was not fresh with a strong smell of damp. The shower pressure was very low and failed to give us enough water to bathe properly. Reported same to the receptionist who advised it would be repaired. Full English Breakfast next morning consisted of one small egg, two rashers of bacon and a single sausage. Despite staff apologizing for the lack of completeness, we left the table hungry.

On returning to the hotel in the evening, we discovered our room had not been made up. On advising the receptionist we found she was aggressive and cared little about correcting the issue...no management or staff on evening shift she advised. All rooms were apparently fully booked (sic). A passing barman, assisted by intervening and at least, getting us some fresh towels. Unfortunately nothing had been done to repair the shower!!!

Breakfast next morning was an disorganized affair with many items again missing from the buffet and given out only on request from myself and other residents.

I strongly urge you not to consider this hotel during a stay in this lovely town. We will certainly not be using it again!!

Room Tip: Go to another hotel!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Whurlyburd
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Well I called before going there to get a twin room and got told there was one available room number28 so gave the receptionist (Dennis) my money for the room and stuff and when I got to the room there was holes in the ceiling couldn't close window properly so room was very cold despite me trying to go downstairs and couldn't find Dennis so when I checked out the lady in reception told me that her manager would get hold of me yet its been a week now and still no call what so ever

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Jon A
frequenthoteluser37, General Manager at Falstaff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2012

Thank you for your recent review. Please accept my apologies for the difficuties experienced. I have passed your comments to the maintenance department where corrective action will take place where required. Please also accept my apologies for not contacting you following your stay. I have a very proactive approach to guest feedback so please feel free to contact me at a time convenient to you to discuss further. My apologies once agan.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

Having read some of the less than complimentary reviews of the Falstaff I was a little apprehensive. However, I should not have worried. There is plenty of parking, both in front and to the rear of the hotel but a SatNav takes you to the front. We were greeted by a very cheerful receptionist on Friday evening who was very professional in her approach (sorry that I didn't get her name as I like to give praise for good service). I had asked for a king-size bed which was achieved by putting two singles together; despite this it was a very comfortable couple of nights' sleep. My only real quibble was that although there was a very nice corner bath, there was no shower, or even shower attachment on the taps. I can see that there might have been a bit of difficulty in putting one in as the walls of the bathroom were curved in shape, which meant the ceiling over the bath was a little low. The heating in the room was almost too efficient! The bar was well stocked and Julien (?) the French barman was great, very friendly and helpful. Breakfast the first morning was served by Louis (?) - again very pleasant - and on the second he was assisted by Julien. It was the usual help yourself buffet on Sunday but orders were taken for the full English on the Saturday. Surroundings were all very clean and tidy, I loved the decor in the Pistol bar and restaurant, quite theatrical which was no surprise really given the name of the hotel. We didn't have an evening meal there but I spoke to some people who seemed more than satisfied, the cost was very reasonable as well. If you have a well behaved dog I understand they are accepted in the hotel, which is far from usual. Just a word of warning about taxis from the hotel, we ordered one which was incredibly late, not the hotel's fault at all but be careful if you are attending a function as we were. All in all then a very pleasant stay made even more so by excellent staff.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank akay07
frequenthoteluser37, General Manager at Falstaff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to complete your guest review. On behalf of the team here I would also like to thank you for the kind comments contained within your feedback. Your review has been circulated around the team here and we all look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

On Tuesday 6 November I held a training day at this hotel. The training room that we used was clean and comfortable and set up exactly as I had requested. The staff were courteous and helpful and the few additional items we requested were provided within minutes of the request being made. Refreshments were served on time which is essential for a training day - some hotels that provide conference and training facilities do not seem to understand the importance of this. Having plenty of free car parking was appreciated by the trainers and delegates.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
frequenthoteluser37, General Manager at Falstaff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2012

I behalf of the team here at the Falstaf Hotel may I thank you for your feedback. Your comments have been circulated and are much appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future. Thanks again.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

Good room, good food, great value. Breakfast was good and just a short walk from the centre of Leamington, which we were really impressed with. Staff very friendly and could not have been more helpful.

Room Tip: We had a downstairs room, with no view. Perhaps ask for a room on the front, which has better views.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank david t
frequenthoteluser37, General Manager at Falstaff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2012

Thank you for your guest review. I will circulate your kind comments around the team here at the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future. Thank you once again, your constructive comments are appreciated.

Reviewed November 1, 2012

I have stayed in Best Western hotels in the States so thought this would a reasonable place to lay my head over a weekend whilst visiting friends. On our arrival I was rather agast at the appearance of the place; we seemed to have come at it from the rear but soon realised that the main entrance was around the corner. The place was almost deserted (a Friday afternoon) and we were directed to our room which was on the ground floor. Whilst the bedroom was somewhat satisfactory, (if one discounts the bed cover which was seemingly burnt with a cigarette and needed washing) that cannot be said for other things.I read from the literature in the room that many Best Westerns are 'pet friendly' and this was one, a feature we discovered later that night, with yapping and almost constant scratching audible from the bedroom across the corridor. The following morning we discovered that there was some sort of convention in progress, (which explained our grotty bedroom location) and the main dining room was awash with countless noisy men on some kind of religious get-together. Thus, were were directed to a pokey room elsewhere for breakfast, this being served almost cold from it's trip from the main dining room. I did not enjoy it, the accompanying lone sausage being akin to some type of dense rubber door stop - amongst other things. More scratching and yapping the following night. Evening meal was given the thumbs down, more on account of the price than anything else so I cannot comment on this. We considered the price of our stay over the weekend excessive for what was offered and would not go again.

Room Tip: Avoid, if possible, ground floor bedrooms.These are noisy if there are functions on progress.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback and may I offer my sincere apologies for the difficulties experienced during your stay and the frustration caused, I investigated the issues raised and it would appear that a catalogue of events have culminated in this below standard experience for you, this is well below what I would expect our guests to receive.

I regret to hear that you would not wish to use the Hotel again however if you are in the area and do reconsider I can assure you that I will handle your booking personally in order to reassure you of our commitment to guest satisfaction.

Please feel free to contact me at the Hotel should you wish to take advantage of this offer, in the meantime please once again accept my apologies.