“Not what you expect from Best Western”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Falstaff Hotel

Falstaff Hotel
Ranked #15 of 18 Hotels in Leamington Spa
DERBYSHIRE,ENGLAND
“Not what you expect from Best Western”
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I had my stay booked by an organisation I was working with and had a weeks stay. I had read the reviews on TripAdvisor so was a little worried on what I might find. It looks ok from the outside and the entrance area. I must say I found my room clean although dated and extremely small if it was a double room. (Room 57 double bed). The room had a phone call charge list on the bedside cabinet but no phone, which was not a problem really because I wouldn't have used it. A bracket on the wall for an hairdryer but no hairdryer, again not a problem because I wouldn't have used it. What did irritate me greatly was the T.V reception or lack of it. A nice TV but lost signal about every 5 mins so trying to watch a programme became a waste of time. I reprogrammed it several times but to no avail. A colleague in another room experienced the same problem.
The hotel seemed to have more contractor custom than business or leisure custom. The breakfasts were acceptable, the young french waiter seemed far more interested in his job than the other young staff.
Only had one drink in the bar, expensive as you would expect but the beer tasted off. I did overhear another guest asking when the food he had ordered some time previously was going to arrive,I left before it did!
Got the wifi code from reception which worked once and then could not connect, the reception said that maintenance was taking place on it, never got it again.
Sorry but the £70 a night cost could find you a far better place to stay.
Note ; The photos were taken upto the wall to try and show the 'full room' the toilet and shower are in the room behind the bed head and to the right of the wall mirror.

2 Thank BROCKWELL
frequenthoteluser37, General Manager at Falstaff Hotel, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Please accept my sincere apologies for the difficulties experienced during your recent stay at the hotel. I have investigated the matters highlighted personally and can respond accordingly; The items missing from the bedroom have been replaced. Damage to the aerial cable was causing the TV signal to drop off. This has since been replaced. The planned maintenance upgrade to the free Wifi service has also been completed. Your review has been circulated to the team here at the hotel where corrective training will take place. Please accept my apologies once again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Bridlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 19, 2012

having just recently stayed at this hotel as part of a small group i felt i just had to write on here in response to all these bad and negative reviews. We had a very enjoyable weekend with excellent food and lovely clean bedrooms and probably the nicest staff I have experienced in a long time, they couldn't have been more helpful and friendly and I feel it unfair that people write such awful things. All i can say is they must have stayed at a different hotel to us because we couldn't fault anything, my advice ignore these reviews and make your own mind up you will be pleasantly suprised !!

Room Tip: we had rooms in diffferent parts of the hotel but each was equally as good
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
frequenthoteluser37, General Manager at Falstaff Hotel, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Thank you for your recent review. I have passed your kind comments to my colleagues here at the hotel who would like to convey their appreciation also. The team look forward to seeing you again in the future. Thank you once again.
UK
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I have attended 2 events here - 5 years apart and in that timeframe it doesn't appear to have changed - I haven't stayed there. The location for Leamington and Warwick is excellent.

The service for evening events is terrible. Forgotten food or drink, luke warm warm snacks and something thrown together. It's old fashioned and the rooms downstairs with no light are just drab. Makes people fall asleep. To get hold of staff to remind them to serve tea, coffee and water took half an hour and another 20 minutes to rustle it up.

When we arrived we were told we'd have to wait for the duty manager to open the room - who was waiting for a coach to arrive in the car park. There's no lift it seems so any heavy bags have to be humped downstairs.

As overnight guests the experience may be different but it has an "in need of TLC" feel about it - the building and the staff!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Leamington Spa hotels

Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Agree with comments of recent posters lots wrong at this hotel.

Yes the fittings etc are poor, but the biggest frustration for me is the general low level of cleanliness around the place. I can understand that renovations are expensive but cleaning costs nothing and I could have accepted some of the other failings if the place was spotless. It's not.
I noticed the manager has spent time on here to respond to feedback. My advice would be to save the time typing responses and put your efforts in giving place a good clean.

Sticky floor in bar area
Dusty / damp sells everywhere
Odd stains all over bathroom
Previous guests' hairs in toilet on arrival...

Final note. The town of leamington spa is a delight. Makes it even more frustrating that this hotel fails to live up to potential.

1 Thank Matt W
May I apologise for the elementary cleaning shortfalls highlighted in your review. Since receiving your feedback a number of improvements have been made to our public area cleaning schedule and frequency. Further training to maintain a consistently high standard in guest room cleanliness has also taken place. In answer to your question, I and the team here care that your guest experience is an enjoyable one to an acceptable standard. I am sorry that we did not meet or indeed exceed your expectations on this occasion.
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 15, 2012

On arrival at the Hotel I was welcomed with a statment that my Hotel was being billed back to the Company so I would need cash to buy a drink,Then on to the room it was so small there wasnt room for my suitcase in the room. there was dust everywhere damp in the wardrobe. B;lack slime in the shower. The Fire alarm went off half way through the night and there was no communication with the Guests.I escaped the breakfast Room cold coffee was the begining of the end. I travel all over the UK on business and this is the worst of the worst.

1 Thank David F
frequenthoteluser37, General Manager at Falstaff Hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Further to your review may I express my personal apologies for the difficuties experienced. I will be contacting you personally to discuss your experience in more detail. In the meantime please accept my apologies once again.
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Quite possibly the worst hotel in 23 years as a commercial traveller I have stayed in . I had room 15 which is beside the reception area so beware of constant noise of people walking through reception. I was shocked that the room given had actually been designated as a bedroom . Bathroom an absolute disgrace for cleanliness - tiles in shower cracked and broken, mould around the shower tray and a shower mat which at some stage was white but is now brown ! from what I again shudder to think - there was also staining on the walls making the whole experience of using the bathroom an ordeal. Room itself has pealing paint , cracks , cobwebs in corners and a carpet which has not been cleaned or hoovered in a long time and in one area is short of the skirting board by an inch. I have taken photographs of all the above to highlight the condidtion of the room and as proof to the above. As if things could not have got worse a false fire alarm call at 04.20 in which the guests assembled in the reception area but no staff attended for a full 5 minutes - if it had been a real fire I shudder to think what would have happened. How Bestern Western are happy to associate their name with this hotel is a mystery to me. I could understand it if the room rate for this was budget however it was not at £70 per night - this is actually higher than a number of hotels in the area - the description to the quality of this hotel on line is deceiving and the room images used certainly do not represent a true representation of what you will get.

Room Tip: another hotel
3 Thank MMPC_travels
frequenthoteluser37, General Manager at Falstaff Hotel, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
I would like to convey my apologies regarding your recent stay at our property. I have personally investigated the issues raised and where highlighted improvements have been made. May I assure you that all feedback is taken very seriously. I am sorry that you were not satisfied with your overall experience.
Weston Super Mare, England
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Spent one night here on business and it is shocking. The room was small, dark and dingy and filthy. Dust all over desk, dirty mouldy bathroom, holes in walls, hair on floor, and to top it off fire alarm went off at 4am. Breakfast terrible too, poor choice, gristle in sausages, scrambled egg like plastic and cold coffee. Do not book!

2 Thank neilbud
frequenthoteluser37, General Manager at Falstaff Hotel, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Please accept my sincere apologies for the difficulties experienced during your stay. Your review has been circulated to the departments highlighted where corrective action will take place to rectify the shortfalls identified.