“Great Keralan Restaurant in Leam”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Kayal

Kayal
Cuisines: Indian, Asian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Kayal - The first authentic Kerala seafood speciality - has become the most popular of its kind to the people of Britain and this family run group of restaurant has become a favourite with dedication and passion for good food. Numerous awards and recognitions proved them distinctive to the normal fellow restaurants. 'Healthiest Restaurant Award' proved that Kayal do care about healthy food. Kayal is all about tradition, qualities, discoveries, fresh ingredients and aromas. Facilities: Entertaining Clients, Groups, Private Dining, Reservations, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Dessert and Bar Scene.
“Great Keralan Restaurant in Leam”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

We've been to this place once before and found it pretty good. This time, though, it was close to perfect and a sheer pleasure throughout. Cheery, friendly staff, brisk but not rushed service, even though it was the Saturday evening closest to Valentine's day and they were very busy. My wife had a beach shack prawn dish followed by a superb crab curry, an immense house salad with mango, avocado and strawberries among other things and a couple of chapattis. I've no idea where she put it all. I started with melt-in-the-mouth Cochin squid, and went on with a spicy creamy coconut-based chicken curry, rice dumplings and bean thoran. Two pints of draft cobra, and two large and exotic mango, passion fruit and strawberry cocktails were our drinks. £61 was amazing for all that, so I don't think it's too pricey. My wife, who loves seafood, said it was one of the best meals she had had in a long time. Try it!

Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
“Something different”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

If you want an Indian that is a little bit different then Kayal is well worth a try.

We were a table of 8 - with 2 under 10s. Service was ok, we asked for some guidance regarding what to order for the kids - who are used to curries - but didn't get much help.

The food was good, especially the fish dishes - as you'd expect for a Kerala restaurant. The flavours are a little more delicate than a 'curry house'.

I think it was a little on the expensive side. I would go again, but not for my regular curry fix.

Warwick
“Different from the standard fare, pricey but interesting menu”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

I visited Kayal with my wife and child, with high hopes. First impressions are very clean, modern and stylish.
We ordered a starter consisting of poppadoms, chutneys, banana chips and toasted bread. Honestly, the chutneys were not to our taste. They actually tasted rather bitter and unpleasant, specially the sharp lemon style chutney. I'm guessing this is down to personal taste, but Not to my taste.

The main course was the chefs lamb speciality, which is a lamb based dish. This tasted fine and the lamb was very tender. A fairly tasty dish, and well seasoned. The other main was the mixed seafood curry, which wasn't great. Very expensive at 15 quid, and rather lack lustre. Had a raw slice of red pepper and raw tomato placed on top, which looked rather odd. Overall the mains were a mixed bag. The naan bread alternatives (south Indian I think) tasted great, and were lovely.

I've visited previously, and the biriyini was outstanding. So I'm guessing some dishes are better than others. I would come back again, and quite happily munch the food. Rather pricey, with some great dishes (some not so great).

Warwick, United Kingdom
“Love this place.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

We went here two nights in a row because it was that great and I wanted to take my sister there. The food is amazing, really different from all the other Indian restaurants and full of flavour. Prices aren't too bad either.

• Visited February 2013
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
“Great restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

Fantastic evening, very atmospheric restaurant, great service and excellent food. The waiters were really attentive and accommodating. There was a fantastic range of food - a lot of it different from the what you would find in other curry houses, but the old favourites are there too! Plenty for everyone including vegetarians to choose from, and the vegan in our party had a great meal. I had a really nice kingfish curry and would recommend that! We shared two lots of rice and two sorts of bread between four of us, which was enough but didn't leave us too full, though maybe another portion of rice wouldn't have gone amiss. It came in at about fifteen pounds a head, including 3 pints of cobra, so it's not the cheapest but it's really good value for money.

• Visited February 2013