“Excellent food, knowledgeable and friendly staff, mixed clientele, good atmosphere. Not everyday, special occasions”

The Stag at Offchurch
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Stag at Offchurch philosophy is to provide country food and value for money. Our outstanding location being a 16th century thatched pub in the centre of the picturesque and historic village of Offchurch is just 3 ½ miles from Leamington Spa town centre. We use fresh seasonal produce, locally sourced wherever possible, to produce first class wholesome food on the premises by our fully trained chefs.
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We ate here on our wedding anniversary. Managed to get an early table and when we arrived and were seated, it was just us inside the restaurant part of the pub. Lots of people sat and ate/drank outside, but the fact it was just us to start with added an air of exclusivity.
Given it was a special occasion meant we could justify to splash out a bit. Staff gave us free olives and bread while we browsed the menu.

For starters, I had Brixham crab cake which was delicious, nicely balanced flavours but quite rich. My husband opted for the liver pate which was very tasty and served in a rustic jar.
Mains were grey mullet which was wonderful and the Cornish lamb, which were out of this world. We tried to savour the food as it's not the grub to just snaffle. When I asked the waiter/chef about which wine would go with the grey mullet, he came up with the perfect recommendation and he did seem a very personable chap as well.
Despite us quickly filling up, we could not resist a dessert, which is unusual for us, but we thought it would be good to push the boat out a bit. It did not disappoint: the lemon tart, Italian meringue and raspberry sorbet were just the ticket after a rich main meal and the warm brownie my husband gave me to try was equally taste bud-tickling. Highly recommended, although it would not be my every day choice of venue to eat out but then again a wedding anniversary is not every day. Go and try it as a treat.

England
“Excellent Sunday lunch”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

This place has a very good reputation amongst locals for the quality of the food. It's been a while since I've eaten there so I decided to take my Uncle there for Sunday lunch yesterday. I'm pleased to say the food was excellent and the service friendly and attentive without beng intrusive. I'd recommend it and I'll definitely be going back. Bythe way, it's a lovely walk across the fields from Leamington to The Stag if you fancy a walk before lunch.

manchester
“Good food and service”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Had Sunday lunch here with family on Sunday 28th July.

The food was really good and the pub is a pleasure to visit. There were a couple of niggles with the outdoor seating area. Bird droppings on some of the wicker seating wasn't great and should have been sorted before opening in my opinion but we just swapped the chairs round. Also whilst we are dog owners and lovers ourselves it's not on to have doggy deposits on the grass right next to where people are eating. Accepted that the dog owners should have dealt with this but if they didn't then the pub should have sorted it. That said when we raised this, as we have a small child determined to toddle round in the grass, they sorted it immediately and the service was generally good.

We will go back and I would really recommend the food.

• Visited July 2013
“Will think twice about eating here again”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Venue excellent, very clean, but very disappointed with the meal, portion size of the main course was more like for a 5 year old and one of the waitors was very acid

1 Thank M3rl1n
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wish we had discovered it sooner”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

My girlfriend and I are moving to Yorkshire this week and unfortunately only discovered this place last night. As a chef myself it is rare for me to have a Sunday off work, but as I had yesterday off thought we'd go out for dinner. We could not have been more delighted with the stag. The service was excellent, they stocked some of our favourite beers and the food was to die for! I am generally quite picky when I go out to eat, but found absolutely no fault with our experience at the stag, we will certainly be back when we come back to visit friends and family in Warwick and will bring them along too!

• Visited June 2013