“Love it here”

Ranked #86 of 264 Restaurants in Leamington Spa
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I have visited this restaurant several times - in fact I visit any chance I get, and it never fails to impress me.

The menu is excellent with the best quality food delivered to the highest standard. It has a great wine menu, a fantastic atmosphere and the service really is faultless.

When I come here I know I'm going to sit back, relax and have an enjoyable time. This is one of the most expensive Indian restaurants in Leamington but you will leave thinking it was worth every single penny.

I can't wait to go again.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

In general one can honestly admit: this is so far the best authentic indian food I have tasted in Leamington and by acknowleding this one can say that the prices are absolutely fair. I have been to this restaurant several times and in these two points it has never let me down.

Now why is this a 2 star review? I visited the restaurant with my mother (who flew in from abroad and wanted to go to a nice restaurant) and everything seemed to be fine. We were offered papadoms, ordered starters, ordered wine, ordered main dishes. So far, so good.

By the end of our evening we were running a tab of approximately 60 pounds. By checking the tab we noticed that additionally to the offered papadoms there were chutneys added to the bill. One must objectively say: yes we ordered the papadoms but we did not ask for various chutneys and we were certainly not informed that these would be added to the bill. Now to be absolutely honest: as one travels the world and visits different restaurant on different occassions one encounters these hidden charges frequently. Usually professionally informing the waiter/manager that this is - formally taken - incorrect (not being told that it is NOT complimentary) does the job.

This is exactly what we were going to do. And obviously it is not about the 3 additional pounds for the chutney, it is just purely incorrect and partially embarassing that a restaurant with a reputation as Memsaab must engage in such a crookedly manner.

After we informed the manager he looked at us with ignorant smile and asked us "So you had the chutney and now you don't want to pay for it?". Replying "No, the fact is: we were not informed that it is not complimentary so are wondering why it has been added to the bill". He just grinned arrogantly and took the chutney off the tab.

In conclusion: it doesn't take a business degree and further knowledge in customer management to realize that this kind of behaviour destroys business in the long run. And one does not have to be Leamington local to realize that this little town is crawling with tons of great restaurants that serve good food and treat customers with the respect one would expect. If this course of action continues this business will not be here in a couple of years from now. But hey, right now the place is still packed. Let's let time pass. However, I am not coming back and definitely not going to recommend it to anyone.

1  Thank MichelinMan187
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We have had take-out from Mem Saab many times before, but only recently have got around to eating in; we certainly wish we hadn't waited so long! From the moment you enter, you are looked after really well. The quality of the food is unmatched in our experience of other Indian restaurants. The atmosphere and standard of service are both excellent. Highly recommended!

Reviewed January 29, 2013

Ordering a takeaway. Should be straightforward right? Nope, not for Memsaab.

I'm lactose intolerant - so checked four times on the phone whether a particular dish had any milk, cream or yoghurt. "No, no it definitely doesn't"

Collected the curry from the restaurant and returning home - only to find that the dish did have cream (a lot) in it. Rung back - "oh yeah, it does have cream in it - sorry".

They whipped up a replacement which was watery, unseasoned dross. The chicken tikka had curdled, everything else cold and revolting.

AVOID!

1  Thank Alextomiles
Reviewed December 24, 2012

We went there for a dinner on a Saturday night. The place does not look great from the outside but the inside is worth to be seen and tested : elegant modern decoration with some interesting pictures from old India.The place was busy but the atmosphere was very relaxed, with a very efficient and smiling service. The food was very good, with interesting starters and more classical mains, even if the portions could be slightly bigger for the mains. Overall a recommended option in Leamington Spa.