“Our gateaway”
Review of Ashwood Hotel

Ashwood Hotel
Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Preston
Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

Me, my boyfriend and a friend stayed here this weekend while we were looking for a flat. Although we didn't book in advance, the lady was really flexible and got us a really nice room w/breakfast included. For the first day we wen't for the private bathroom because we were afraid the shared ones would be dirty or always busy but we were wrong, they were really clean so we decided to change room to one without a bathroom (cheaper £7).
The breakfast that was served was really nice (English Breakfast) and a great way to start off our days!
Totally recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2013

Reviewed August 20, 2013

what a lovely place in preston town centre ideal for shopping or as a base point withinin easy reach to chorley euxton etc spotless all throughout friendly full choice of breakfast ideal for family couples business people and only 58 pounds for a double room with en suite and breakfast for us both . A really cheap but spotless place we were made up

Room Tip: we were at front of house slept a treat
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Staff were helpful, welcoming and friendly. Room was fine, good shower, bit warm but that was the summer heat. Slept well and came down to a good traditional breakfast, well cooked. Inexpensive. What more can you ask?

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I took my own advice based on my stay at the Ashwood 4 years ago and was not disappointed. We had booked the same room as last time but on our arrival about 8am Diane was ready to store our luggage until our room was ready. She also had 2 other rooms that she thought we might prefer over the one we had booked and we definately did as one was larger and on the main floor rather than up the stairs to the second floor. How did she know that 'old legs don't like stairs!'. Although we were at the front of the hotel, directly on the main road, we had absolutely no problem with street noise. Breakfast was better than the average B&B, freshly cooked to order, more than sufficient and served in a very classy looking dining room. The only negative I have with the Ashwood is that it is too far away
from Canada for me to visit both the hotel and the very friendly staff more often.

Room Tip: For tired legs, ask for a ground floor. Also note that some rooms are not ensuite so book according...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Visited my daughter who is attending UCLAN for a semester. Booked an ensuite single for a week via email. I arrived a couple of hours before check in, and decided to at the very least drop my bags and find somewhere to have lunch - no worries there. The receptionist checked and my room was ready so I was able to check in early. The room was very comfortable, toward the back of the hotel so I wasn't getting traffic noise, bright and welcoming. The bed was comfortable, plenty of storage for my clothes. Room was clean. I loved the HUGE window that let in lots of sun. On Friday during my stay there was a problem with the hot water system on my end of the hotel, so Marjorie at first gave me the key to an unoccupied room so that I would have access to a shower until repairs could be made to the system. (Why do things like that always seem to happen near or during the weekend?). By Saturday she was moving me across the hall (into another wing) and into a twin ensuite for the weekend because the problem had returned.

Room Tip: Be sure to request an ensuite if you're not into shared bathrooms, although any time I passed th...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 22, 2013

A test of a place is sometimes whether it is as good the second time around. I had stayed here overnight a while back and this was a revisit. Arriving late, having booked a basic single room I asked about an upgrade (to an en-suite). This was only an extra £5 and because there was spare capacity, I was given a double - quite a bonus. The room was light and airy with all the facilities you would need plus a compact en-suite shower room. A comfortable bed with good quality linen and, in the morning, a decent breakfast, cooked to order.

This was all for £40 B&B in a central location only a few minutes from the station and therefore really useful for onward travel. Nothing fussy but staffed by people who aim to please.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Stayed here for a night when I needed a room at short notice. Receptionist was friendly at check in and the room was tidy and of a reasonable standard given the very budget price of the hotel.

I should point out the few negatives as well though. The obvious one was that my room wasn't ensuite, a shared bathroom isn't something I've had before, having said that, it was clean and available when I needed it.

The breakfast was ok, though veggie choices were limited. Again, friendly service and no complaints given the price.

The final negative was that the parking spaces at the front aren't the best, and you have to be careful when parking and leaving.

Overall though, more than happy given the price paid. Wouldn't hesitate to use for a night or two. Any longer and I'd want some creature comforts.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo