“Cheap, no frills and does what it says on the tin”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Ashwood Hotel

Ashwood Hotel
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Preston
London
“Cheap, no frills and does what it says on the tin”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

Stayed here for a night when I needed a room at short notice. Receptionist was friendly at check in and the room was tidy and of a reasonable standard given the very budget price of the hotel.

I should point out the few negatives as well though. The obvious one was that my room wasn't ensuite, a shared bathroom isn't something I've had before, having said that, it was clean and available when I needed it.

The breakfast was ok, though veggie choices were limited. Again, friendly service and no complaints given the price.

The final negative was that the parking spaces at the front aren't the best, and you have to be careful when parking and leaving.

Overall though, more than happy given the price paid. Wouldn't hesitate to use for a night or two. Any longer and I'd want some creature comforts.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank h_kanLondon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

My partner Sue and myself arrived at the hotel about 5pm on saturday 24th November as we were going to the Runrig gig at the Guildhall that night. We were met and greeted by a nice friendly young lady who showed us to our room.
The room was spacious and clean and the bed comfortable, we slept very well. The shower room/ WC was quite small but functional and clean. Very nice to have facilities to make tea and coffee.
The thing that spoilt our trip was when we went for our breakfast. The dining area is not large and we stood at the door waiting to seated as we have done at other hotels. I know the waitress was busy but she walked past us at least 4 times without acknowleding us. We would have been happy with '' Good morning I'll be with you in a minute''. Sue approched two ladies on a table and asked if we could share and they kindly agreed. The waitress passed us again and cleared a table as two people got up to leave and almost immeadiatly two people sat there and she served them. I went for some ceriels but there was no milk or fruit juice and came back without anything. Sue was now getting fed up and as the waitress was passing us again she asked if we could be served, rarther surily she asked what we wanted.
We asked what the veggie options were and she replied Beans or Egg on toast. So we asked for beans on toast which was one slice of toast with a few lukewarm beans, everyone else had full english and Im sorry but in this day and age keeping a few Quorn sausages and mushrooms in is not too much to ask, most other hotels I have stayed in do this now!!
We were brought tea and coffee without any milk and had to ask someone on another table to use some of thiers and we were not brought or offered any toast.
Sue filled in the comment card with all this on but as yet (5 days) later they havent been bothered to contact us, they have contact details.
What a shame really and what should and could have been a good stay left us feeling rather let down.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bob H
Burnley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

I stayed for one night in this hotel. I booked a single room which was excellent value. The room was large, clean and had all the basic facillities.
The bed was really comfortable, although the room itself was not ensuite, the public bathroom was clean. The hotel was only 15 minutes away from the bus station, and only 5 minutes away from the train station and the main shopping centre.
This is a no frills hotel but overall very good value for money I would definitely stay there again and would not hesitate in recommending to friends and family

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here last night whilst we were visiting our daughter at uni. We chose it because of the good reviews after considering the Premier Inn. This was cheaper and included breakfast. We booked an ensuite room which was clean and comfortable with a lovely fluffy duvet and pillows. I would have slept well except the room was facing onto the main road and as it was a saturday night there was some noise from traffic and revellers returning home which I am not used to and may be should have asked for a room at the back. That said, if you are a sound sleeper then I doubt you would be disturbed. Breakfast was good and the service, both in the breakfast room and on reception was friendly, polite and efficient. There is limited car parking at the front of the hotel which was perfectly adequate for our purposes. Overall no frills or airs and graces but clean, pleasant and very good value and we both agreed we would definitely stay again if we need to stay over in Preston.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Moo192
leicestershire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

My husband book a 2 night break in this hotel. He found the hotel easy to contact by telephone, the staff were polite and helpful. When we arrived there was a place in the carpark in front of the hotel, an unusual thing anywhere in Preston city centre. The receptionist opened the door for us as it is kept locked at all times, like the majority of hotels in Preston city centre and the booking in procedure was simple and straightforward. She then showed us to our rooms after asking if we wanted her to take the cases up to the room for us. The room, room 20, is clean, bright and spacious, with a well lit ensuite shower room. The toiletries were of good quality for this type of hotel. The towles are large and soft. The hospitality tray had a 2 cup sachet of drinking chocolate and one the same size of horlicks as well as the usual tea and coffee. Milk is UHT and plentiful, mugs not tiny cups were included as was sugar and sweetners. The television worked properly, the view is of the well kept garden. The staff were all friendly. Breakfast was very good for this type of hotel. The ritz is isn't but this is reflected in the price. It is a family run hotel with everyone making guests welcome. A lovley experience. i have certain food alergies but the menu made mention of this unneccessary. WELL DONE.

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear are quieter as the hotel is on a busy road, however there is good quality double g...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank leicestereve
Bristol
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

Pros:
Our room was very large with four beds when we only booked a double room.
The room was clean and the staff were pleasant.
Cons:
The wifi was very flakey. There was a poor signal and, apart from one brief success, it was not possible to connect to it. I complained about it but was told it was being looked into.
The breakfasat was quite minimal. I asked for sausage, egg and beans and was given a single sausage, a single egg and a spoonful of beans.
The room was on the front of hotel and so it was quite bright from the outside streetlamp and noisy from the traffic on the road. Blackout or at least lined curtains would have helped.

Room Tip: Make sure you specify an en suite room as some rooms have a shared bathroom along a corridor. We di...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chuffalo
Holmfirth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

Stayed here whilst on a social reunion. Friends had booked in heavily discounted Premier Inn up the road but when others tried to get the same cheap rates we were advised that they only had limited offers! Out of principle I looked elsewhere and am glad I did. The staff are as friendly as you could find and the room and bathroom were spotless and had everything you are likely to need on a short break. Breakfast was cooked to order and as good as I have had. I booked a twin as a colleague should have been coming with me for £59 which included breakfast and parking for us both (a room at Prem Inn was the same and parking and breakfast were extra). My friend couldnt make it and when I checked in and told them I was on my own, the lady immediately took £15 off the bill without me even asking. Only one issue and that was that my room was on the ground floor and at the front of the hotel in what is a busy street so there were some noisy drunks walking by in the early hours!! All in all a nice find.

Room Tip: Ask for an upstairs room away from the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo