“good value”
Review of Ashwood Hotel

Ashwood Hotel
Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Preston
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I stayed for one night in this hotel. I booked a single room which was excellent value. The room was large, clean and had all the basic facillities.
The bed was really comfortable, although the room itself was not ensuite, the public bathroom was clean. The hotel was only 15 minutes away from the bus station, and only 5 minutes away from the train station and the main shopping centre.
This is a no frills hotel but overall very good value for money I would definitely stay there again and would not hesitate in recommending to friends and family

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed September 30, 2012

My husband and I stayed here last night whilst we were visiting our daughter at uni. We chose it because of the good reviews after considering the Premier Inn. This was cheaper and included breakfast. We booked an ensuite room which was clean and comfortable with a lovely fluffy duvet and pillows. I would have slept well except the room was facing onto the main road and as it was a saturday night there was some noise from traffic and revellers returning home which I am not used to and may be should have asked for a room at the back. That said, if you are a sound sleeper then I doubt you would be disturbed. Breakfast was good and the service, both in the breakfast room and on reception was friendly, polite and efficient. There is limited car parking at the front of the hotel which was perfectly adequate for our purposes. Overall no frills or airs and graces but clean, pleasant and very good value and we both agreed we would definitely stay again if we need to stay over in Preston.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Moo192
Reviewed August 16, 2012

My husband book a 2 night break in this hotel. He found the hotel easy to contact by telephone, the staff were polite and helpful. When we arrived there was a place in the carpark in front of the hotel, an unusual thing anywhere in Preston city centre. The receptionist opened the door for us as it is kept locked at all times, like the majority of hotels in Preston city centre and the booking in procedure was simple and straightforward. She then showed us to our rooms after asking if we wanted her to take the cases up to the room for us. The room, room 20, is clean, bright and spacious, with a well lit ensuite shower room. The toiletries were of good quality for this type of hotel. The towles are large and soft. The hospitality tray had a 2 cup sachet of drinking chocolate and one the same size of horlicks as well as the usual tea and coffee. Milk is UHT and plentiful, mugs not tiny cups were included as was sugar and sweetners. The television worked properly, the view is of the well kept garden. The staff were all friendly. Breakfast was very good for this type of hotel. The ritz is isn't but this is reflected in the price. It is a family run hotel with everyone making guests welcome. A lovley experience. i have certain food alergies but the menu made mention of this unneccessary. WELL DONE.

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear are quieter as the hotel is on a busy road, however there is good quality double g...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank leicestereve
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Pros:
Our room was very large with four beds when we only booked a double room.
The room was clean and the staff were pleasant.
Cons:
The wifi was very flakey. There was a poor signal and, apart from one brief success, it was not possible to connect to it. I complained about it but was told it was being looked into.
The breakfasat was quite minimal. I asked for sausage, egg and beans and was given a single sausage, a single egg and a spoonful of beans.
The room was on the front of hotel and so it was quite bright from the outside streetlamp and noisy from the traffic on the road. Blackout or at least lined curtains would have helped.

Room Tip: Make sure you specify an en suite room as some rooms have a shared bathroom along a corridor. We di...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chuffalo
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Stayed here whilst on a social reunion. Friends had booked in heavily discounted Premier Inn up the road but when others tried to get the same cheap rates we were advised that they only had limited offers! Out of principle I looked elsewhere and am glad I did. The staff are as friendly as you could find and the room and bathroom were spotless and had everything you are likely to need on a short break. Breakfast was cooked to order and as good as I have had. I booked a twin as a colleague should have been coming with me for £59 which included breakfast and parking for us both (a room at Prem Inn was the same and parking and breakfast were extra). My friend couldnt make it and when I checked in and told them I was on my own, the lady immediately took £15 off the bill without me even asking. Only one issue and that was that my room was on the ground floor and at the front of the hotel in what is a busy street so there were some noisy drunks walking by in the early hours!! All in all a nice find.

Room Tip: Ask for an upstairs room away from the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Kensemple
Reviewed March 27, 2012

The Ashwood was the first stop on our Easter cruise. I up graded my room as my boss was so tight he only booked a single and I fancied the space of a double, well I’m a big lad. On arrival after having to push past the local fuzz and a random drunk the service was really good. The room was a good size with everything one could need. The bed was nice and comfy. The only real down size was the bathroom. When you had a shower the steam released the smell of cigarettes from the wall paper. This could be seen as a timesaving cigarette/shower combo, but I don’t smoke. Overall it’s an average hotel.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 18, 2012

I agree with previous reviews, this hotel has all you need for basic accommodation when on a work trip. The staff is friendly & lovely, the outside bathroom is a bit run down but clean, the room and mattress are comfortable (I took the single, cheap option).
One thing, the room I got had very clear curtains so if you are sensitive to light, don't forget your eye mask.
The shower didn't have a very powerful water flow, so don't go washing long hair in a hurry!
You will leave the place in a good mood, and this is priceless.
It's on the left outside when leaving the train station's main entrance, on a slight slope so easy walk. Tons of cabs outside train station anyway.

Room Tip: - The room I was in was sunny, and not over the main road. Quiet. - My room (I wouldn't know ab...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business