“Stay over after work Christmas Lunch”

Travelodge Preston Central
Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Preston
Reviewed December 14, 2013

A little way out of the centre, so taxi required to get there. A Nice and clean, no frills hotel.

The good stuff: The staff are probably the friendliest staff I have ever encountered at any hotel. Nothing was too much trouble. Had a pizza for supper, which was really good. The room was basic but functional. We were given a complimentary breakfast, I have to admit I wasn't expecting much, but was pleasantly surprised by the choice. I will definitely include this next time I stay. Denise is a star!!

The bad stuff: we had booked a twin room, we arrived to find one double bed. I like my friend but didn't want to share a bed. We asked at reception, who advised we were in a family room and the spare beds were stored under the double, okay. Went back to the room pulled out the bed, it was stained with urine, not nice, there was no additional bedding. Back to reception, The night manager was fantastic, she came and took the stained bed away, showed us our second spare bed, which was clean, provided us with the bedding, extra pillows, towels and a complimentary breakfast.

Overall a really pleasant stay and would definitely recommend it.

The chief executives of Travelodge really need to acknowledge the hard work the staff at Preston put into making this hotel a friendly place to stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank ANNEFLO

Reviewed December 12, 2013

Be warned - the Preston Central Travelodge seems to exist purely to feed young drinkers alcohol until they completely lose control and run amok around the hotel.
It has a bar which is open until 5am every morning and on the night we stayed (a Monday - goodness knows what weekends are like) there were already a fair few VERY young males knocking back beer in the small cafe-bar area (connected to reception) at around 11.30pm.
What followed was the worst night I have ever spent in a hotel. By about 12.30am the noise had started as more and more young people congregated in the hotel - shouting, swearing and screaming as they ran around the corridors beating on doors. I understand from the receptionist that the police were called twice and arrested at least two groups. Sadly they did not eject the charming pair of locals in the room next to us who brought two young Eastern European prostitutes back with them and proceeded to shout explicit instructions at them.
From what we heard from inside the room (we were too scared to venture out into the corridor) at least some of the revellers were friends of people working in the hotel - who'd presumably sorted them out with cheap rooms so they could drink all night. "You can't do this where I work", was one such hissed comment.
The next morning the woman at reception explained that there had "been a party" in a nearby club and apologised for the commotion. Her demeanour suggested this was a fairly regular occurrence. She said that we would get a full refund by way of an emailed e-voucher. Over a week later this has not arrived - meaning the staff at this Travelodge are not only indulging in borderline criminal behaviour but are also liars.
I've stayed in many Travelodges before and have always found them to be fairly decent for the price. This experience will certainly make me think twice before using one again. As for Preston, I think I'll steer clear completely in future.
I should say that I completed an emailed questionnaire sent to my by Travelodge which asked if I would like somebody to contact me about my complaint within "two working days". I said I would be happy for somebody to get in touch but nobody has since bothered. Ludicrously bad customer service.
I'm still awaiting a genuine apology or the promised refund but I'm not holding my breath. Maybe they'll respond to this as they seem to keep a close eye on Tripadvisor, if not their own customer surveys. Over to you Travelodge...

Room Tip: Go to any other hotel or sleep in your car.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 9, 2013

We booked this for 2 nights to visit Preston and Manchester for a Christmas shopping weekend . When arriving we thought it looked a little dark but we were pleasantly surprised when we arrived at reception , a nice small bar and eating area , we were greeted nicely and helped with taxi numbers and info about the hotel . We went to Manchester the first night by train and before we left ordered a pizza from reception for our room . Breakfast the next day was very good an all you can eat full English went down well . Sat night we arrived back after a night out about 11.30 and had a drink in the bar and a bite to eat , the bar staff were great very friendly and we had a good laugh with them . We paid at total off £60 for 2 nights between 3 of us so an absolute bargain as the travellodge in Manchester was £112 a night !!!!!!! The rooms were basic but very clean and everything we needed, though the fold out bed was a little uncomfortable . Would most definitely recommend this for the price it was fabulous.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 18, 2013

It's easy to tell that this hotel has been refurbished recently. The room was pleasant and the bed was more comfortable than many other travelodges we've been to.
My main gripes with the hotel were:
1. They had removed the sofa from our room. As our room was long and narrow, with the bed at one end, it made the TV difficult to see as it was so far away.

2. The carpark! Where do I start with the carpark!!! Although the hotel do warn you online that the carpark is tight, you really don't get an appreciation of how bad it is! There are pillars at regular intervals throughout the whole space, in every direction. Whilst I don't drive the biggest of cars, I really wish I hadn't attempted to use the carpark after I scraped the back end on the way in and took more than 10 minutes and a lot of inch by inch manovering to get out again. Don't get me wrong, this isn't a testiment to my driving skill, this is because the space is so tight. Trust me when I say this, if you're car is anything bigger than your average SMALL, 3 door hatchback, then do yourself a favour and avoid using the carpark at all cost!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 765amyb
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Travelodge always have good clean rooms and friendly staff.
Preston Central is no exception, although I would warn of the car park; its very tight due to the steel columns; you have to drive round/through them and there are plenty of scratch marks! And there are vans parked in the drive as there is no where else for them.
If you happen to be on the front of the hotel there is traffic all through the night (lorries), add this to a very hard bed and sleep may be not too good (I find all Travelodge beds hard, not just this one). That said the rest of the hotel is fine.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 11, 2013

This hotel is very interesting, as it is in a renovated cotton mill. Travelodge has done a good job in creating this hotel, with a large undercover car park (although it's quite tight to enter). The staff are really nice and helpful (as long as you are not a pain). It's a 10 minute walk to the centre of Preston, and there is a Lidl supermarket right across the road.

Rooms are quite spacious, with good views from the top floor (see my photo). Comfortable beds, good central heating and excellent wifi (at a cost). TV's are flat screen and of a reasonable size. Bathrooms have plentiful hot water and are of a good size.

I've stayed at this hotel several times and am still impressed.

Room Tip: Just be nice to the staff and they will give you a very nice room. My recommendation would be a fam...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Not the most welcoming hotel, entering through a hidden door & having to take a lift to reception only to be kept waiting for scruffy staff. Don't let that put you off though, the usual Travelodge cheap comfy rooms more than make up for the frosty welcome. Free parking underneath the hotel but don't expect to be able to fit through the entrance or park here if you have a big car!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends