“Keep left!”

6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Keep left!”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I rode it clockwise and, a week later, anti-clockwise, starting from Broughton. For some reason, I found the AC route more tiring, possibly because the climbs come in the last quarter. I lost the route twice each time. The signs are there but they`re not always obvious. It helps to know that Route 622 is the Guild Wheel. The steep climb (or drop) by Brockholes is verging on dangerous, especially in the wet. Going anti-clockwise at busy times is a bit hairy at times as most go clockwise and parties tend to spread themselves across the road (especially ladies!) so you can come round a bend and meet someone head on. Pedestrians appreciate a warning on the bell. All in all, a pleasant ride through nice country. 2 hours and 20 minutes.

1 Thank philip b

Manchester
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“The Guild Wheel, a gem in the North West of England”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We bundled our bikes into the car and set off the half hour's drive to cycle the Guild Wheel. I was impressed by this great facility and thought it should be a shining example for other areas to follow. It was clearly signposted and mostly off road so a great day out for families even if only part of the route is completed. We passed a place called Brockholes which looked like a great stopping place. I note criticism from some other reviews and agree some keen cyclists were too intent on getting round the circuit quickly above safety. On the other hand some group walkers formed a line across paths and weren't happy about moving aside. The signs ask us all to share the route, might be a big ask but perhaps some people need a bit of etiquette spelled out in a sign!

2 Thank Judi2009
Preston, United Kingdom
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Always go Clockwise”
Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

As most people also say, clockwise is the easier and probably most enjoyable way round.

We stopped for an ice cream and a wander round Brockholes (about half way for us) and then for lunch at the contiental.

My only criticism of the Wheel is that keen cyclists go dangerously fast. Not only ruining the route on a busy day but for locals who share the path in their area. People who want to go dangerously fast should stick to the roads.

5 Thank MooseJawSk
Burnley, England, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Would definitely recommend”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

As per previous reviewers, I'd recommend the clockwise route. My husband and I cycled the route as fairly new cyclists and didn't find it difficult. Lots of scenery and different terrain. There are cycle paths for the parts of the routes which are along roads. Any hills are only short other than one long gradual climb at about 9 o'clock but I didn't see anyone pushing. It's a busy route (with other cyclists). My only slight criticism is that although the route is well signposted the signs are often at the last minute and without warning (and yes, you do go through the crematorium). It took us about 2 hours, next time I'd take more time doing it, taking in the sights and taking advantage of one of the several cafes we saw along the route. There are also many signs to other cycle routes which I'd like to investigate further. Would highly recommend and looking forward to a return trip soon.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Helen H
Lancaster
65 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 306 helpful votes
“Lovely route -Better to go clockwise.”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

This was a very enjoyable mixed terrain ride, including the banks of the River Ribble, through woodland and fields,passing by Brockholes nature reserve, along suburban streets and hidden cycle paths. Reasonably flat and easy, with just one section through woodland which was a bit hairy- downhill on muddy path- OK for mountain bikes, but slippery on hybrids, and difficult to keep going when the path was shared by walkers. I prefer doing this the way we did (clockwise), as negotiating this stretch, when muddy, would have been trickier. Lots of places to stop for lunch en route- I would recommend the cafe at Brockholes. The great thing about this circular route is that there are lots of places to be able to park the car and start off from (if coming from afar).

Visited April 2013