“Excellent idea Preston!”

Ranked #7 of 67 things to do in Preston
Reviewed November 18, 2012

What a wonderful legacy for the 2012 Guild. The route is well marked and almost enrirely off road. I would recommend doing it clockwise to avoid the steep climb from Brockholes to Red Scar. Great to see it well used by numerous cyclists.

2  Thank Paul M

Reviewed November 11, 2012

My husband and I completed the Guild Wheel today after recently acquiring and updating a couple of 25-30 year old Raleigh bikes. This was the first time I'd ridden mine any further than around the block, so we weren't sure how it was going to pan out for us.
We decided to start at the beginning in Miller Park and travel anticlockwise around the route: which I'd highly recommend, as it turned out we'd get the tricky bit out of the way early on.
We had picked up a route map weeks before, which helped with orientation and gave some handy hints like who has right of way, but I wouldn't say it was essential reading.
The route is mainly along shared cyclist/pedestrian paths, and unsurprisingly this sunny autumn day meant it was very busy, hence the time it took: 4+1/4 hours! (Timed from home, 25miles total, with three pit stops). We were quite surprised though at the variety of cyclists out there! Amongst the usual groups and families we also came across two unicycles, a tricycle, an eliptigo, and a fancy dressed clown and nun!
Underfoot/wheel it's mainly perfect for any type of bike, we have very skinny road type tyres on these bikes and only struggled on a couple of sections, one of which the map actually states that cyclists are strongly advised to dismount, as it's so steep, and we agreed we'd even have struggled to ride up it on our mountain bikes! It's a relatively short section, between Brockholes and the crematorium, where the path was covered in mulch, this is where I was glad to be going anticlockwise and pushing up it rather than down, as I'd fear falling down it with my front-heavy basket-laden bike! My leather Clarks dolly-shoes possibly not the most sensible of footwear choices today!!
All in all it is an excellent asset for Preston, and a great way to spend a day. There are plenty of places to stop around the route, so no need to worry about being caught short, or not bringing every piece of kit from your tool box! You can easily tailor the ride to suit you, we opted for a picnic, but there's many a pub lunch available along to way too!
Enjoy!

2  Thank Matilda82
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Have not ridden a bike for ages but set off on a crisp sunny Saturday. Thoroughly enjoyed every aspect, would definitely do it again. may I suggest more historical information boards for any who may be interested. Well done Preston!

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Started at M55 J1, clockwise and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Not done that many miles on a bike (44 years old) in years, so the last quarter took its toll on me. Have started a training regime now to do it some justice when I try it again next year.
Took me just over 2 hours.

Jewel in the crown was the river section, absolutely stunning scenery.

Finished off with a couple of pints at Fulwood and Broughton Cricket Club.
Only a few hundred metres from my start / finish point.

Brilliant Sunny day, with a beer, cycling and cricket. Heaven

3  Thank PrestonCoolerKing
Reviewed October 7, 2012

What a nice few hours fun with friends and family and great way of keeping fit the route is well thought out and get to see a lot of Preston area you may of never seen would recommend