“Great afternoon out and what a fantastic team doing their bit for the birds”

Turbary Woods Owl and Bird of Prey Sanctuary
Ranked #1 of 67 things to do in Preston
More attraction details
Owner description: Sited at the rear of GARDEN CENTRE Turbary Woods Owl and Bird of Prey Sanctuary is a pure volunteer based, non profit group of volunteers.The flying display give you the visitors, Children & Adults, the chance to participate in the flying display and have our birds land on your gloved hand as they fly to you for their food.We have a collection of over 80 birds of prey including eagles, hawks, falcons, owls, vultures and more unusual species.All the birds are housed in large open fronted aviaries, sheltered in a woodland setting. We assist conservation and education of these beautiful Birds and we are involved with an average of 50 rescues each year.
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Adults and kids alike will enjoy it here - there is so much TLC on display and heartwarming to know there are people out there who really care on the welfare of the many birds who lodges there. Fair price to get in and staff always happy to help and answer any q`s.

2  Thank pnrsmith

Reviewed January 12, 2013

Great little sancturary tucke away. We watched the birds fly and even got to participate. Great value

2  Thank cooperspreston
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Fantastic place to visit....I live locally, so I visit quite regularly. As a small attraction, it's never overcrowded, so during the flying displays (2pm at the weekend), every visitor gets the chance to don the gauntlet and allow an owl or hawk to sit on their arm....magical...kids of all ages will be impressed-don't forget your camera!

4  Thank iain1965
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We went today for The first time ever, and we are 32 and 35, and I tell you what it cost 5quid each, and they have a good 5 birds, some small owls etc and some huge eagle things, absolutely amazing, plus as they fly them and tell you all about em ,whilst they land on ya head or kids arms etc, was a great few hours this afternoon, and I will be contributing to the fund, as they survive of people paing to get in and contributions/donations etc, and they are superbly well looked after, and it was a great, I think anyone whim goes and gets a few pics of their kids etc with em and looking n sheer disbelief, will have a great day...

2  Thank Ravingeddie
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I took my 2 year old Son here. It is located behind the garden center. We paid £5 to look around and I was pleasantly surprised to see the variety of birds there.

In my opinion it is a mix between a "bird zoo" and a "rescue centre". We saw around 70 different species of bird from Vultures to Eagles and owls to hawks.

While we were there, it was fairly quiet and we were invited to feed the eagles. I was very frightend at first, but they placed the glove on my hand and remains of a chick and they said hold your arm out away from your face and whistle.

Within seconds a magnificent creature swooped across the field and landed on my arm. It had barely no weight, which I dont know if this was surprising to others or not. I had incorrectly assumed that because of their size, that they would be heavy. They werent.

They are wild and you should excersize a degree of caution around young children only because, kids tend to scream and that scares the birds, rather than the kids being in any danger.

It was a worthwhile visit and I would urge rather than recommend anyone looking to treat their children (or themselves) in Preston.

3  Thank Usercart