“Good food, Good service, Good play area, Good Value.”

Highfield Restaurant
Ranked #379 of 555 Restaurants in Preston
Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Bromborough, United Kingdom
“Good food, Good service, Good play area, Good Value.”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Went to the Highfield restaurant March 2013 with my son and wife. We chose here because it was on route to Southport and it has a large indoor and outdoor play area for my 3 year old son to play in. We let my son play in the play area first which was free because you dont pay for kids on a Tuesday. Then we had our tea in the restaurant. I had hunters chicken which was lovely and my wife had the lamb shank and we only had to pay for one meal because all meals are on a 2 for 1 deal. My son had chicken nuggets and chips which was only £1 because kids meals are all £1 on Tuesdays. Great value . Food arrived quickly, and the staff came to see if everything was ok with our meals which were delicious. Ignore the bad reviews give it a try especially if you have kids.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Steve B
Highfield R, Manager at Highfield Restaurant, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Thanks Steve for your lovely review.I am glad that you enjoyed your recent visit.We have recently recruited some new staff for our funhouse,and we are going to introduce a toddler club on Tuesday mornings.It's good to know that people have a good time and I look forward to welcoming you to the Highfield again very soon.As you say,Tuesdays are great value with kids eating for £1 and playing free. Mike Elsworth.

Chorley, United Kingdom
“Anyone got a chainsaw?”
Reviewed December 1, 2012

We have been coming here for the last 10 years. This pub had fantastic food and service. Now the menu has changed and ownership by the looks of it. We called for a Sunday carvery, only to find there was only beef to choose from. Apparently the turkey was put late in the oven, the lamb and pork were no where to be seen, probably still running around. Anyway, my wife and I decided to have the beef. There were no Yorkshires available. However, we did help ourselves to plenty of veg. Good job really. To say the beef was rare was an understatement. I was tempted to ask the waitress for a chainsaw who kept running past our table every 2 minutes which was a bit strange as where we were sat there was only 1 other couple. I won't be rushing back to eat here again unless the pub gets some good reviews.

• Visited November 2012
Lancs UK
“DREADFUL!”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

This USED to be a super pub, not been for years but decided to take grandson to the play barn and a snack for a treat. What a waste of money! In order to stay in the play area, we had to eat and drink from the 'Nibbles' menu. Our cups of tea arrived quickly. Grandson's chicken poppers arrived about 15 mins later, no sign of his chips, which he kept asking for. THEY ARRIVED 25 MINUTES LATER! With a muttered apology 'we've changed caterers and the instructions are different'???!!!!!!!? Our sandwiches also took 30 mins to arrive, they were very nice, but by then we had drunk our tea! The chips didn't arrive.
The play area is excellent and extremely safe BUT it needs a really good clean! Behind all the sweet/drink machines near the window lies six months of dust, dirt and plastic balls. Would love to know when it was last closed for a 'deep clean'. The seats are also in need of a good clean, many of these are torn or split. This is a shame, but we were warned before we went that it's 'not what it used to be and needs some attention'. Agreed. We spent a total of £20, it was not worth it. There didn't appear to be anyone behind the bar to complain to when we left.
Oh, we were the only ones in the playbarn and eating so I'd hate to be there if they had a rush on!!

• Visited November 2012
Preston
“Worst meal Ive ever had”
Reviewed June 18, 2012

We went on fathers day but I wish we hadnt I dont know what sort of fish they use for their battered fish but it was slime in batter. the reast of the meals i.e. the scampi that my wife and son had were ok but all our chips were definately frozen not fresh

• Visited June 2012