“Good food but service is ssssslllooooowwww”
Review of The Villa

Cuisines: International
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 18, 2013

The food is well cooked, inventive and beautifully presented.

The two course £10 lunch and set menu dinner is a real bargain and the standard of cuisine is great. My mother love it here and she is picky as only a Northern old dear can be.

The trouble is that even if you are the only people in the dining room service still takes an age. I've counted out over two and a half hours for an evening meal from seating till bill on a very quiet Tuesday night. It's not a bother to us when we have nothing else planned of an evening but I can see this really annoying others.

Not stayed here so cannot comment on accommodation but food is well worth it. And in my humble opinion worth the over long wait for it to arrive.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

Celebrated my daughters wedding breakfast and evening reception here in August. Lovely venue, delicious food, excellent service, fantastic 'in house'D.J and sumptuous bedroom suite to end a perfect day.
Faultless

Reviewed July 29, 2013

We visited the Villa; the venue of our daughter's wedding last year to celebrate her first wedding anniversary. We could not have been more delighted.

We booked dinner for 6:30 and benefitted from the special low price (6:00 - 7:00). We were welcomed at the desk and taken straight to our table. There's a short a la carte menu and a seasonal menu with some very interesting choices. We all chose from the seasonal menu which is fantastic value. I had sardines as a starter; beautifully presented and very tasty. For the main course I chose the duck breast which was absolutely gorgeous. Dessert was lemon drizzle cake, making its first appearance on the menu. Excellent.

Service was under-stated and attentive throughout the meal. I would highly recommend the Villa for excellent food, service and value. It is also a wonderful wedding venue.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

I thought the menu looked a cut above when I looked on-line, but that can always be deceptive. Typical starter: confit belly pork with black pudding, pear and blue cheese croquette, main: braised blade of Northern Gold beef, saute mushrooms, rhubarb pure, cabbage and bacon.This place has the air of a country house catering for larger weddings and has plenty of rooms, but it seems the Chef has some ambition. I called in mid-week recently with wife, son and mum. Son and I had neck of lamb, the ladies confit of duck. Everything was very good or excellent, from starters to puddings - serious cooking - not quite michelin star, but not a million miles away. The wine list looked good with a range of prices from reasonable to very special occasion. Even more impressive were the food prices - 19 PDS for two courses, 25 PDS for three. However, at lunch or from 6 to 7pm (which is when we ate) this reduces to 14 PDS and 18 PDS. There can't be any better value anywhere than this!
Very few in the restaurant on this evening, and service was good. I'm not sold on the heavy gothic style of the interior, and a little investment wouldn't go amiss, but this pales into insignificance if this standard of food is maintained at these prices. We went back a few days later and tried the bar menu (served all day), Quality was again good - I had an excellent burger, the wife had fish and chips, but value didn't really compare to the restaurant, especially if eating early!
I'll be going back to see if the quality is maintained!

Reviewed May 30, 2013

Arrived hadn't booked and welcomed as if we had. The food service and environment were all great. The food was perfect for all three of us.

We will definitely be back - thank you