“Amazing dim sum lunch ”

Tang Restaurant
Ranked #24 of 567 Restaurants in Preston
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Tang KTV authentic Chinese restaurant prides itself on the highest quality authentic Dim Sum, Cantonese and Szechuan Chinese cuisine. Partnered with excellent customer service, we endeavour to provide the best dining out experience for all our valued guests.We also offer a super karaoke service with private rooms for guests to enjoy after their meal, which is great social fun and becoming increasingly popular for birthday parties, works dos or private gatherings.Feel free to enquire about our menu or karaoke service.
Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

Had another great meal at lunch time here. In my opinion best place in preston for a dim sum lunch. Very reasonably priced for a quick bite to eat. Everyone should try this place for lunch.
Suggestion to tang - maybe try doing dim sum trolleys once a month on a Sunday at slightly cheaper price cheaper prices.

1  Thank Phillsmit3
Tang Ktv C, Manager at Tang Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2014

Thank you Phillsmit3 for your review and suggestions.
I am so pleased you enjoyed your visit.
I hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

Four of us fancied a Chinese meal in a restaurant, since we had not eaten in one for years. All that will change now, since we discovered Tang.

There's street parking behind the restaurant. The building used to be the old Dr Syntax pub and it still looks like a slightly rough local on the outside. Inside it is clean and light, decorated in a fairly minimalist style with cream walls and occasional red paper lanterns.

The staff were attentive, but not intrusive, and very willing to share a joke. We had the set menu for two (twice) and, since there were four of us, we could have another main course. The extensive menu was a little daunting, but our waiter was happy to recommend something and we were not disappointed. There was a reasonable choice of desserts and sufficiently good wine list for most tastes.

We were offered our leftovers to take away and I have to say, it was almost as good the next day! I'm not sure if they do takeaway, but they certainly had proper plastic containers for leftovers.
The bill was pretty good (about £30 each I think), considering we had a couple of bottles of wine, soft drinks, three courses and tea/coffee.

I would very much recommend Tang - it's well worth a visit.

Thank you Missdebj for your very kind review and recommendation. I am so pleased you enjoyed your visit. I hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Decided to go to Tang due to good tripadvisor reviews. The host is very welcoming and does his upmost to make sure you feel welcomed and valued as a customer. We had the banquet for two, the food was top quality, very hot, freshly made and tasty. We would definitely recommend Tang and will visit again :)

Tang Ktv C, Manager at Tang Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2014

Thank you Vicky429 for your review and recommendation. I am so pleased you enjoyed your visit. I hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

I was recommended this restaurant by a friend, and was not disappointed. Loved the Dim Sum! I have no problems recommending this place to others! We'll be back!

Thank you Tom C for your kind review and recommendation. I am so pleased you enjoyed your visit. I hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

My wife and I live within easy walking distance of Tang, and have visited on a number of occasions over the last few years. It originally opened on the site of the old Dr Syntax pub after a protracted period of renovation and we immediately fell in love with it for providing a much fresher chinese food offering than the older established restaurants in Preston. Time went by, however, and the quality went markedly downhill, gaudy mis-spelled banners appeared outside the building and we stopped going. More recently, over the last (I don't know) couple of years, it appears to have turned itself around again and re-established itself as a restaurant to be reckoned with. The location remains the same, Fylde Road, far enough away from the town centre to put it away from the Friday/Saturday night crawl, but it draws in a sufficiently large crowd that would be the envy of any restaurant.

The food is good. No question. It tastes a lot fresher, less glutenous than other chinese around here and the menu presents a good choice for all. Portion sizes are large, yet we still generally manage to just about clear the plates - more a testament to the delicious tastes on offer. At this stage I should probably add that both myself and my wife have probably used and abused our tastebuds over the years and demand a less delicate, more spicy type of meal, and explaining this to the staff/manager will always result in recommendations and advice that results in food that delights us both.

Drinks are - okay-to-good. The wine can be a little pricey (I'm trying to remember some of the detail from the last year - I recall the manager explaining he was bringing in a Gewürztraminer - a common wine to accompany spicy food, which has never materialised whilst we've been there, and I within the last 6 months I've order a French Sav-Blanc that turned out to be, I think, eastern European - and something of a disappointment for the price), but they offer bottled beer which is hard to fault. A bit pricey, but I supposed that's to be expected.

Service, this is kind of a bit hit-and-miss. If you get the attention of the manager then he'll move heaven and earth to make sure that you enjoy yourself and get the food you want. He's also very aware of what's what - questioning a somewhat esoteric choice that had been recommended by one of the waiters when it was served and suggesting a more appropriate side-dish (for free) if I didn't like what was ordered. He's also saved us from ourselves in the past from too many salt-and-pepper dishes, supplementing his own advice away from this together with an impromptu jug of water to the table. He makes the whole dining experience that bit more special. The rest of the service can been good, however, often struggles during busy periods and can be a bit chaotic. We typically walk to the till to pay to avoid having to wait overly long for the bill.

And the price?, it's not cheap, but I don't think it pretends to be. I'm aware that it offers the business lunches for a very (very) good price, but for evening and 2-3 courses you're probably looking to budget upwards of £20 a head before drinks. Having said that, you wouldn't expect to pay anything less in any other Chinese restaurant around here beyond the awful buffet places in the town centre.

It's almost a victim of it's own success - clearly it's benefited from review - either word-of-mouth and/or the likes of TripAdvisor, because it is very busy, particularly at weekends - despite it's less than glamorous location, and whereas we would often think about walking around the corner to pay a visit, we find ourselves avoiding it having not made a reservation. Mid-week it is typically rather more accessible.

If I could wish for any improvement it would be in two areas: The first, to provide a more consistent service when the restaurant is packed, the second, to improve (for us locals) their online presence and get a proper ordering system in place for take-away - they ARE losing out to other local businesses that are also very good (Indian Express, anybody?). Times are changing and people are moving online - places that don't support that are missing a trick. But, that's for a different experience to the restaurant sit-down.

We've not tried the Karaoke (thankfully!), but it's never intruded on the restaurant experience. The restaurant appears to appeal to large family / friends parties.

In summary - my favourite sit-down Chinese restaurant around here (and, to be honest, it beats many of the ones in Manchester China Town hands-down).

Recommended!

Thank you Mike D for your custom and extensive review. Since your review, I have introduced a Gewürztraminer to our wine list alongside a Chablis as well as the Chilean Sauvignon Blanc, French Viognier and Italian Pinot Grigio. Thank you for your opinions and suggestions which will be considered and taken aboard.
Thank you once again for your support and I hope to see you again very soon.