“Unique with a Bohemian touch”
Review of Mystery Tea House

Mystery Tea House
Ranked #32 of 576 Restaurants in Preston
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Very different from the usual town centre tea and coffee houses. Gives you that vegetarian quirky feel to it...though its NOT vegetarian. Small, so could get crowded quickly but if you are a tea connoisseur (needed spell checker for that one!) then its heaven. Teapots and cups are both quality and quirky and they sell various tea related goods- strainers, cups, tea pots etc . This is not an English tea shop its run by non English with very friendly service. Food is again quite different- I had pea soup with hungarian sausage- very tasty.Prices are quite reasonable.
The one downside - and it could have got only 4 stars if I was feeling mean, is the service is slow- its relaxed and its slow.
I will definitely go again.

1  Thank cagedavid

Reviewed March 16, 2013

I have visited this tea house twice. The first time I went, we left after 45 minutes because even though we had asked several times if we could order some food, no one had been to take our order and you are not allowed to order at the counter. Looking for somewhere a little different for lunch with a friend, I went again today and I really wish I hadn't bothered. If you want a cup of tea you will be fine, but if you want something to eat, give it a miss. We waited for someone to take our order for about 10 minutes. It was then another fifteen minutes before we got our drinks and another 20 minutes before our toasties arrived! I could have got the bus home and made a better one myself in that time. My order was wrong too, but because I had waited so long I didn't say anything - I might have had to wait another 20 minutes. The hungarian soups and casseroles do look very nice but they all have sausage in, so nothing suitable for veggies apart from toasties. On leaving, we had to wait again over 5 minutes to pay. A very polite waitress kept apologising that we had had to wait (not that we said anything - its probably just what she says to everyone). I will not be making the same mistake again!!

Reviewed February 18, 2013

On my first visit to Preston one of my friends suggested that we meet here for lunch. We had to wait a short while for a table as it was packed, but we just seemed to arrive at a busy time as we sat for the rest of the afternoon and there wasn't a queue again.

There's a huge selection of teas and I opted for Cherry & Rum, which was nice and well presented in a matching teapot and cup. We all had stews for lunch and there are some good options for vegetarians and vegans. There's a really good, relaxed atmosphere and the time flew as we chatted away.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Off the main drag in Preston , we discovered by accident this magical place piled high with teas with exotic names such as white dragon pearl ,himalayan pleasures, spicy chocolate.
All tables fully occupied as customers leave immediately others arrive to take their places.
The food filling tasty and very reasonable, the menu small but beautifully formed giving the diner information but not a deluge of dishes.
We will be back (again and again).......

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Went here to meet up with an old friend hadn't seen for ages. From the outset I wasn't rushed and encouraged to just sit back and listen to the music , whilst I perused the extensive tea menu. In the end settling for an Apple & Cinnamon black tea, I added honey as have a sweet tooth and just relaxed whilst I waited for my friend. She was nicely surprised when she came in and decided to go for the more adventurous tea ( the name I can't remember , there were so may!), which you drink through a metal ornate straw. She had toasties and I a Greek Salad. No the menu isn't extensive but it's not about the food. This is a non commercial chain cafe that suits the bohemian and quirky, give it a try if you want a break from the plastic chains! We walked away with smiles on our faces and some cakes to eat back at home, a lovely end to a late afternoon catch up!