“If this is the best hotel!!!”
Review of The Park Hotel

The Park Hotel
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Preston
North East
“If this is the best hotel!!!”
Reviewed April 19, 2007

Trip Advisor ranked it as the No.1 hotel in Preston. It's website informed us it had a 2 rosette restaurant. We therefore booked 2 rooms for 2 nights and dinner for the second night. We were telephoned before our arrival to say that the restaurant no longer had any rosettes due to change in ownership and anyway a wedding was on that night so did we want to book a restaurant elsewhere. Thankfully we did so. The Chop House. Very good.
It is right to say that the double room was clean, quite well furnished and decorated nicely. It was, however, very small. The single room was not good, decor was dated, the bathroom old and tired, and the room small, even in comparison with the general broom cupboard that single travellers are usually levered into. The smell in the annex where the rooms were situated varied between overpowering vanilla to that of sweaty feet and damp.
However, the real problem was the lack of staff. When we arrived there was no one on reception and it took some time for the bell to be answered. When we wanted a taxi there was no one about. When we sought a drink from the bar it was void of a barman. When we returned to the hotel at about 10pm hoping for a nightcap all was in darkness and the door securely locked.
On arriving for breakfast no waiter was in sight. The very average breakfast was long in coming and supplies of cereal appeared not to have been replaced from the morning before. Condiments were, like the staff, nowhere to be found.
All in all, if you want an adequate B and B this place will do you. As a hotel (and it's prices seek to suggest it is) it fails.
If this change is down to new ownership the No.1 rating will tumble fast. We stayed here to avoid the usual "one up on the travel lodge chain" hotels. Next time even corporate blandness would be better.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank Gums

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed February 26, 2007

Our room looked brand new. Literally, even the building addition it was in looked brand new. The en-suite looked like a display in a plumbing showroom - brand new everything, absolutely spotless. The bed was a Queen, not just a full, and appeared to be brand new. The other furniture looked brand new as well. The TV was a brand new flatscreen with a DVD player in the side. Breakfast was okay. I love the combination of a modern, spacious room and the classic older reception and dining room.

• Liked — immaculate, new bathroom
  • Disliked — price
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
4 Thank Richard320
Bolton, Lancs
Reviewed November 29, 2006

For the size and grade of this hotel you cannot possibly do better.

I have stayed at this hotel a couple times and the owners know how to be both professional and friendly - I really cannot find fault. Working hard during the day and needing to relax at night - all the staff create that evironment where you are able to let yourself unwind.

I would stay here again given the chance.

The hotel is nicely situated for Preston or as far as St Annes. The bold traveller could head for North Wales, Southport. The Lakes, ect.

I cannot leave this review without mentioning the food. I have added this to a list of places to take client to for dinner, the presentation is superb and the combinations both interesting and different but remains traditional and apears to be sourced locally - always good.

Typical things on the menu are :

Seared Bowland Fillet Steak with Wild Mushroom and Foie Gras.
Red Snapper.
Cod Fillet wrapped in Cumbrian Dried Ham.

I think the hotel has two rossettes (AA) and they are well deserved in my opinion.

Well Done - The Park.

• Liked — The food. The decor.
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Tips/Secrets — I have had trouble booking before. Worth booking early.
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank PaulWork
Consett, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2006

Stayed at the park 31/10/06
As I pulled up thought the place looked very nice - staff were very friendly and helpful.
I booked into a single room as I was travelling for work and was quite suprised when I was directed to an extension onto the main house - I hadnt realised that you probably wouldnt be in the main building (just assumed so as have stayed in few places like it before). I got what I booked which was a single room only large enough for a single bed + ensuite. However, it was very comfortable/ clean and warm and after a long day travelling + working was very pleasant. Unlike some other reviews - i didnt have a dvd player in my room - but I didnt ask about it and it didnt really bother me.
The breakfast was lovely and the service was quick.
Overall i thought it was a nice place and would stay there again for work.

• Liked — Knowledge of staff
  • Disliked — Should have booked the double room for solo occupancy - but thats my fault
  • Tips/Secrets — Fab shopping near the football ground and you dont have to pay to park
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
3 Thank Tammy-Lynne
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 2, 2006

After a long day at the office, it was a lovely to find a place that bothered. Even though I was late in (9.30pm) and the restaurant was quiet by the time I eat, I was not rushed and the food was fabulous. I believe that it has 2 AA rosettes which the waitress assured me was unique in Preston and hard to achieve, I can vouch for that as it was the best fillet that I have ever tasted with lots of wines available by the glass which is unusual.
A quiet nights sleep completed a pleasant stay and I will certainly be back.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dorset, UK
Reviewed February 16, 2006

We stayed at this hotel for one night in Feb 06. Our first impressions were great. I messed up the booking (I booked it for the wrong night by mistake!) and didn't realise until just before we arrived at the hotel. They would have been within their rights to charge us for the wrong night we booked it and then charge us again but they were very understanding and just amended the booking. The staff were really friendly and helpful. Our room was quite small but looked like it had been redecorated recently and was spotless. There was a DVD player in the room which was a bonus!

Breakfast was lovely. We both had full English which they cooked freshly for us. We didn't eat dinner at the hotel but a friend of mine has and said it's fantastic!

One other thing worth mentioning is that it's not particularly close to the centre of town - this didn't bother us but might do it you don't have a car.

I'm not giving it 5/5 as it was quite expensive (we paid £85 for 2 inc breakfast which is steep for Preston) and the room was quite small. Everything else was 100%.

• Stayed February 2006
7 Thank Julia99
Leeds
Reviewed August 30, 2005

How surprised was I to find a beautifully restored small hotel with the most fantastic food and friendly service in Preston of all places? The little extras in the room such as the DVD player was unexpected and the owner lent me various films throughout my stay from her eclectic collection.
Must mention the food again. It says "award winning" in the blurb and I can really believe it.
Will definitely be back next year.

10 Thank LouiseLeeds