“What a change!”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed March 19, 2013

The Continental was my local about 45 years ago, when I started drinking. The Boddingtons often tasted off because the landlord didn't clean his pipes, and all there was to eat was a packet of crisps. We called in for lunch last week on a nostalgic visit back, and what a change! Plenty of good beers, wines, and whatever else you want to drink, and a fabulous menu. The food is freshly cooked and high quality, very good value, and worth waiting for - (if you want instant service go to McDonalds). The whole place is bright and clean, even the toilets. The staff are very friendly, and they seem to have events on almost every night. In good weather it must be lovely sitting outside. If I ever move back to Preston it will become my local again.

1  Thank John P

Reviewed March 17, 2013

As an ex prestonian i visited the continental with a friend who raves about it. Last time i was in Preston was over 6 years ago and the pub was a dive despite being in a fantastic location next to Avenham park and the river. I have to admit i was impressed i am well travelled but i have never visited a venue outside the big cities which offers such a range of beers and great value wine. Not only that but one of my favourite bands from my youth was appearing there the following weekend. My friend also told me they ad a cinema and theatre! Now for the food this was no pub menu wit microwaved food this was home cooked and delicious. The staff were pushed as it was a surprisingly warm day and the beautiful garden was filling up, however they made up for this with their friendliness. my friend informed me that the chiefs were a husband and wife team ex from a restaurant i use to go to when i lived in preston, that explains the quality. Preston if very fortunate to have an independant pub that offers so much. Whenever i come back to Preston i will know where to head!

1  Thank Lesley S
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Four of us went to the Continental last night for a meal before the Ska Face gig (which was excellent!). All had mains and a pudding and boy, what a treat! We all had different mains (sausage, lamb duo, lamb shank and pork in parma ham) and two of us had duo of puddings, one had the poached pear and one had the chocolate terrine. Home made food at its absolute best! The service took a little longer than anticipated but it was very busy in there. However, the waiter and waitress couldn't have been more obliging. We will definitely go back again - can't believe we have never been here before. Thanks for an EXCELLENT meal. Only one problem really, I ate 'Much too much, much too much!'

2  Thank sunandmoon35
Reviewed March 16, 2013

We had tickets to watch a band playing in the function room and decided to book a table to eat before the gig. What a good decision that turned out to be.

We arrived for our 7pm booking and were greeted by the waitress and taken to our table. She took our drinks order and presented us with the menu. Unfortunately my husband realised at this point that the tickets for the gig were no longer in his pocket and must have fallen out when he took his money out to pay for our train tickets. Fearing that the evening was ruined, he went to see the duty manager (Craig?) who said that he would speak to the band’s manager and see if anything could be done and within a couple of minutes he returned, told us not to worry and assured us that he would get us into the gig. Thanks for saving the day Craig.

So with that hiccup out of the way and a very welcome drink in hand we decided what we were going to have to eat. I chose the duo of lamb from the main menu, OH chose a pork dish and the couple we were with chose sausages and mash and a lamb dish from the specials menu.

We waited approximately half an hour for the food to arrive and ordered a second round of drinks (3 beers and a large Chardonnay). As we waited we noticed that the bar was filling up and the atmosphere was very lively.

Our meals arrived and we realised that we should have ordered vegetables from the menu as side orders (a little OTT in my opinion as the main courses we ordered varied from £9 to £13 and an additional £1.75 for some vegetables seems a little stingy). We weren’t told this when the waitress took our order and she didn’t ask if we wanted anything else with our mains so we presumed that they were included.

Anyway, that’s by the by because the food was lovely and presented so nicely on the plate. We all thoroughly enjoyed our meals and ordered desserts. Again, it took another half an hour for the desserts to arrive but they were worth the wait. The trio of desserts turned out to be a mascarpone trifle, a chocolate brownie with brandy snap basket and homemade ice cream plus a strawberry shortcake type tower.

We got our bill and it came to just over £90 (£100 with tip) for 4 mains, 6 pints of beer, a large Chardonnay and 4 desserts which, considering the quality of the food, seemed like very good value.

We don’t live in Preston and don’t visit very often but we wouldn’t hesitate to eat there again if we are ever in the area.

1  Thank karen1967
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Ohh it pains me to be negative about the steak here as I'm normally raving about it but we went with a group of 8 and had a pate starter....you get plenty but you could tell it wasn't really good stuff. Nobody came to take our drinks order for agggesssss and then when they did, we ended up getting the starter before the drink, which was a bit annoying but it was Saturday night!

When we got our starter, a lady who I think is the manager kept on looking over to see if we'd finished, normally it's good that the staff are observant but I felt like she was hurrying us as she was literally checking every minute or so, made me pretty uncomfortable! I also noticed the same lady taking payment from a party of 3 who wanted to pay separately. She was pretty rude towards them and it seemed like a simple request was an extremely big deal. I'm sure they felt awkward too.

Anyway, that kind of thing gives me a bad feeling in my tummy and it's not what you want when you're on a nice night out with friends...which isn't the cheapest!

When the steak came, it was really thin and scrawny and full of fat! I was so upset as I told everyone in our party it was amazing and most had ordered the same!

Hopefully it was a one off, but all of us agreed it was poor. Also, we were seated in the conservatory and it was FFFFreezing! I know we've had a cold winter but turn that th'eatin on!

It has put us off going back but hopefully time will heal the pain!!!!

1  Thank RosyRoRo