“5 star rating - out of date!”
Review of Riverside Barn

Riverside Barn
Ranked #6 of 11 Preston B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We phoned and booked six weeks in advance of our one night stay, supplying our card details. However, it appears that when they processed it it failed to go through so the next day the owner phoned and asked for the card details again. We paid with a different card.
When we arrived for our stay we were presented with a piece of paper on which was printed our reservation, complete with card details and security code from the back of the card, and on the back was written the card details, with security code, from the other card - alarming to think that all the details of 2 cards were available to them for 6 weeks!
We were shown to our room and had to fight our way through the full length net curtain which hangs over the door and picture window, and flies out of the door anytime that it is opened. The whole room smelled very strongly of some sort of air freshener, which I tracked down and found to be a 'plug in' - so strong that even though I turned it off straight away my clothes still smell several days later.
The room was pleasant enough, with a very comfortable four poster bed, and there was an ample supply of tea and coffee etc, with fresh milk in the fridge, and complimentary biscuits. The breakfast hamper was very good - we weren't quite sure what to expect, but the smoked salmon and cheese bagel was delicious.
We wanted to get a weather forecast so turned to the array of electronics supplied - TV, Sky box, Freeview box, X-Box, DVD player etc, each with their own remotes - but I failed to get anything on the TV - Sky reported that there was a malfunction. I could not get a Wi-fi or mobile phone signal.
We were told that there was underfloor heating, but when it got a bit chilly we turned up the stat on the radiator and the heated towel rail - but nothing happened.
As reported elsewhere on Tripadvisor there are 3 folders in the room, one full of ads for local places to eat, and comments on them - many of which were quite a few years old, another folder of local walks etc, and one rather bizarre one which was basically a glossy advertising feature for the owner's hair dressing business. Just a few words of help on things like the TV and the heating would be much more useful.
Overall our stay was pleasant enough in spite of all of the above, but I do feel as though we were mislead - as others have reported - by the fact that these wonderful ETB 5 stars were awarded several years before the present owners took over. The Home page of the website goes on about what a wonderful year 2007 was for awards, but in a reply from the owner to another comment on Tripadvisor it is clear that the present owners took over in 2010, and are now reaping the benefit of someone else's work!

Room Tip: Read the website very carefully - especially regarding the breakfast The Hothersall suite does not...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank ChishillPhil

Reviewed September 3, 2012

We booked this hotel through Late rooms as part of my husband's birthday celebrations but were really disappointed with our stay. It definitely wasn't the tranquil, relaxing break the owners suggested we would experience.
On arrival the water was not hot enough for a bath & we reported this straightaway to be told it would be fixed shortly. We couldn't wait as we were due to join other family members for a birthday celebration.
The following morning before it came light we were awoken by noises from the adjoining farmyard buildings & a tractor engine was left running for a long time. When we ran the water again for a morning bath it was still only luke warm & not a comfortable temperature for a relaxing bath. Also it was not obvious on the initial booking information that breakfast would be delivered to our room which we didn't really like either. So all in all a very disappointing experience!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Sue G
Reviewed June 10, 2012

We stayed for a Saturday night in June with our young daughter. The owner asked us to leave a review as he delivered breakfast, so here it is. Lovely location, and in some respects the attention to detail in the room is fab (box of DVDs, wine glasses, ironing board etc). Breakfast was great, delivered at our requested time at 8.30am. A few points that echo comments from some other reviewers - bed v uncomfortable, and lumpy pillows from Ikea were clearly low quality. Heating in the room was stifling - it would have been great to have a quick instruction on how to use it rather than having to try and work it out at 1am. We ended up sleeping with the patio doors open. I also felt being charged an additional £30 on top of the £95 for our daughter to sleep on the sofa bed was steep. Lovely, but poor value for us, and unfortunately a bad night's sleep.

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank Daytrip2
Reviewed May 14, 2012

I booked this as a birthday treat for my husband, as we had not had any time to ourselves away from the kids in over 12 months!!! We arrived earlier than expected and was told our room was ready so we could check straight in, and the young man who showed us to our room even offered to get our bags for us. When we walked into the room it was superb!!! Large four poster bed with scented rose petals scattered on there and a lovely big bath that was more like a boat ( I enjoyed a lovely soak in there!!) We has a mini fridge with milk and water in there and plenty of tea and coffee supplies. The breakfast hamper was a lovely touch, as personally when I wake up I don't want to have to try and eat a full english breakfast, as you get with most B&B's. The location was second to none absolutely perfect and the views were stunning. This is definitely one to remember and come back too, and compared to some places was so reasonably priced!

Also The White Bull pub is highly recommended for a bite to eat too, fab food and a lovely atmosphere and the staff were very friendly!!!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Hothersall Suite....highly recommended!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jo_Rab
Reviewed May 3, 2012

We nearly cancelled this holiday after reading a couple of the reviews, but thankfully we took note of the positive reviews. All I can say is there must be no pleasing some people.

We arrived early and was greeted by the owners who invited us into their study to sort out the paperwork. We didn't mind paying on arrival as this took the pressure off our depature. The Ribble suite comes with a four poster bed, underfloor heating in the bathroom, a lovely wet room shower area, two sofa's, sky sport/films and an x box!!!

The room also had extra touches such as crystal gems and petals on the bed, dvd's, games, food treats and French doors out onto the decking area where the views of the garden, river and up towards Pendle hill are fantastic. A really beautiful place to relax and enjoy the surroundings.

Ribchester holds some great little pubs with excellent pub meals, we walked back around midnight and the quietness and real fire smells from the village took me back to my childhood.

All in all a great place to stay with friendly owners and in a superb location to explore the countryside.

Would I Stay again?.....like a shot!!!

Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed February 25, 2012

Recently I traveled to the United Kingdom for a business trip and was placed at the Riverside Barn by my company. I can say right off the bat that this is not your typical business destination when traveling, it is definitely geared towards more of a couples pleasure endeavor. While I would definitely recommend this establishment to any couples looking to enjoy the Ribchester area, I can not say the same for business travelers.I would recommend that individuals looking to stay at the Riverside Barn have some sort of agenda planned as the surrounding area is very underdeveloped, and you will need a car to get anywhere that can provide some excitement.

The Pros: I can say without question that this was one of the nicest establishments I have stayed at during my business travels. The room is very luxurious and the property is in a very secluded area, which is both a positive and a negative. The bathroom is something to be envious of, with the heated radiant floor, over sized rain shower head, and dual sinks. Definitely a luxury you seldom find in the United States. Now the one thing I wish all hotels provided is the outstanding breakfast service that the owners provide. Other reviews mention that they could only get breakfast delivered early in the morning, and that is true but was not a problem for me as I was up early anyway and had to be on my way to work. A very generous selection of baked goods, juices, coffee, fruits and cereals are offered and all stand out in quality and freshness. Breakfast was something I definitely looked forward to every morning. Another nice amenity was the SKY satellite channel service, although it would have been nice if it was an HD box to go along with that nice HDTV in the room.

The Cons: Going back to my main point - this establishment is not suitable for the business traveler. The number one thing a business traveler needs (in my opinion) is an internet connection, and the Riverside Barn did not deliver on its 'high speed internet' advertisement. I was unable to get a signal anywhere besides right next to the door of the room, so I often spent my nights on a chair sitting uncomfortably and awkwardly at the entrance of the suite. While sitting near the door, I often heard the owner on his side of the house talking very loudly and one night even yelling at his kid, which was extremely discomforting. Another gripe was the extremely confusing thermostat, which seemed to only like to make the room extremely cold or blisteringly hot. I was unable to figure out how to adjust the temperature and just ended up turning the entire unit off. Finally, and probably the second most important thing to a business traveler, was the bed. It was like sleeping on a stone tablet. That is all I will say about that.

One more thing I would like to mention, which I don't think fits in either of the two categories above was the welcome that I did/did not receive upon arrival. Because of a misunderstanding between the owners and my company, I actually ended up arriving two hours early and the room was not ready as the previous guests had not left yet. Upon ringing the bell and meeting with the owner, I was told that I was early and that I would need to find somewhere else to stay for the time being. I asked if there was somewhere I could sit inside, and I was given the slightly rude response of 'this is my home, so no'. Luckily it was a decent morning out and i found a bench to sit at near the river. Eventually I returned and the owner did invite me inside and sat me in his office until the room was ready. Again, not really the owners fault, or problem, but turning a guest away like that was shocking to say the least.

To sum up, I did enjoy my stay at the Riverside Barn, the owners were extremely nice and the room was above average. Although I did list some pretty serious cons in this review, I can guarantee that the owners will take notice and amend any outstanding issues so future guests do not have the same experience. Again, just to hit it home, I wouldn't recommend that you stay if you are a business traveler, but if you are a couple looking for a nice quiet getaway, this just may the best place you can go in the area.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank stevey5036
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Recently stayed in the Ribble Suite situed with a lovely view of the river. Beautiful room, with walk in shower and plenty of room to sit and relax. This was helped by all the mod cons including Sky Sports/Movies. The room was lovely and warm with underfloor heating, towel rail and radiators, (if anything a bit too warm!). The Breakfast hamper was fantastic. Would definately recommend and we will be back to stay again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple