“Best Tapas ever!”

POND
Cuisines: Latin
Good for: Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: A quirky bespoke tapas restaurant.. bar and deli with a difference... Serving fresh local produce with a Peruivan twist...We are allgery aware and can assist with ease...Recently Renovated with a funky bar and merged with our sister restaurant duk .... we are the perfect destination restaurant... bar and deli...Vegan...vegetarian and gluten free..
Reviewed January 18, 2013

I absolutely love Tapas and was delighted to discover this place a few years ago when searching for someplace to eat before going to the guild hall. I have since been back a number of times with friends and my partner and went the other weekend for a birthday celebration where everything sounded so yummy that we ordered 16 dishes between the four of us. We actually enjoyed the lunch time offer on that occasion where many of the dishes were £4. The portions are great, bigger than you usually get at tapas restaurants and i find the variety available amazing. The food itself is absolutely gorgeous and i always over stuff myself. Bit surprised at some of the negative reviews on here, have never experienced anything less than good service and brilliant food.

thecooksquad, Owner at POND, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

hello,
sorry for my delay... thank you very much for your review we are delighted to see that you had a good time and we hope to see you again soon.
Kind Regards
Andrea Mellon

Reviewed January 9, 2013

I recently visited the Pond for my work night out, we decided to have the £25 per person set meal because it seemed easier... well everything was swimming in oil, we shared a platter between 4, no problem but other people who ordered the platter had things we didn't and vice versa so we ended up sharing between many others. £18 for a bottle of house red wine which was warm!

I arrived early and was simply told to wait, no offer to tak me to the waiting area or to take my coat. For such an expensive restaurant you'd think service would be better.

We left the majority of the food, not because we were full but because it was such rubbish. I ended up paying £25 for a few pieces of bread and some olives!

I would not recommend this place!

thecooksquad, Owner at POND, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2013

Thank you for your feedback from your visit, i am surprised to note that you have not contacted us directly where we would have been happy to help.

We have served this banquet now for over 5 months and have had no complaints only compliments and return visitors.

The banquet consists of sharing platters which may be different depending on what we have been asked to deliver, for example in large groups for vegan and vegetarian guests the boards will be different than those of meat eaters and a selection will be sent to the table.
Therefore for tables with no dietary needs all platters are the same.

We do not have a house wine only a large selection of good quality wines from around the globe that cannot be found in shops etc.
The wines are served at their optimum temperature to achieve the best flavor we are sorry if this was not to your liking and i am sure we would have changed this for you if we had been asked, to do so.
I shall look at the staff that served on the evening and i shall investigate the coat incident as we have a cloak stand and normally would offer to help, although some guests prefer to keep their belongings with them.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us as we are busy every day and have many many new and returning guests.
I know we do have guests that prefer to wait in the lounge or at the bar for others or you can go straight to your table, if this wasn't offered then i shall make sure the staff are told to help in future.
Thank you for your feedback it serves to help us evaluate our staff and customer needs and i shall speak to all staff concerned .

Your sincerely
Andrea Mellon

Reviewed December 30, 2012

Popped into Duk Pond for a light lunch. I had the Catalan stew with Chorizo and my wife had a spicy Peruvian stew,Both dishes priced £4 each were fantastic value for money and very very tasty.We then finished with a hot chocolate with peppers. So sweet then the kick!!The service was as good as it gets,very friendly and very knowledgeable.Will certainly be going back,and would definately recommend

thecooksquad, Owner at POND, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2013

Thank you very much for your review we are deighted to hear you had a good time... A all comments are valueable to us and we look forward to seeing you again

regards

Andrea

Reviewed December 24, 2012

There aren't many tapas restaurants around. I believe the reason for this to be it is hard to master good quality food with the sheer quantity of food to cook and serve.
I had heard this place could pull it off regardless.
We booked a table and arrived 10mins early (our own fault) so we went to go to the bar whilst we waited for our table.
We had to ask twice for the menu to look at whilst we waited.
When we went to our table, the waiter said he'd be back shortly to take our order... 20mins passed and our order still hadn't been taken. At one point, another waiter was about to come over but stopped himself in his tracks to go back where he just came from.
When they finally took our order, the food was out in reasonable time.
The food was delicious. we ordered tuna steak, prawns, bread, mushrooms. The portions were on the bigger side too so maybe not order so much?
After our food it then took ages for a waiter/ess to come over with the bill. (You'd think they wouldn't want to be paid judging by the amount of time they took!)
When the bill did come (finally) it was £60 for 2 people which is a fair amount if i was judging it on the food alone. the service however, let it down. For £60 an evening you'd expect better service. the restaurant wasn't even busy! all the upstairs was closed and there were only 5 other tables occupied.
Good service doesn't cost anything.
We wouldn't come again. for the money, we could go elsewhere and have amazing food AND service.

thecooksquad, Owner at POND, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2012

Thank you for your feedback from your recent visit, we value all feebdack and respect your decision, we do have 100's of guests that come back to us on a regular basis and enjoy both our service and food.
I am pleased to hear yu enjoyed your meal...

i would encourage you to contact us directly if you wish to do so about your visit as its a shame that you have not done so nor did you fill in one of our in house feedback sheets ... i hope you find what you are looking for in a restaurant , we all strive to do the best we can i am sorry we are not right for you.
Thank yu again for your visit and Happy New Year

Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

Second visit to POND in as many weeks. Tried 9 dishes from the early bird (£4 per dish) menu, all excellent, particularly the meatballs in cooling tomato sauce. Catalan broth a close 2nd.
Service this time was impeccable, drinks ordered within minutes of being seated. Fresh food arrived 10 minutes after ordering and we were even given complimentary shots of the chilli vodka on the bar after asking how it tastes.
Coffee rounded off the meal beautifully.
9 dishes, glass of wine, a coke and two coffees all for less than £45!
Think I'll be a regular here before long.

thecooksquad, Owner at POND, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2012

Thank you for your feedback on your recent visit to pond we are pleased to hear the enjoyment of your stay and look forward to looking after you again soon...

Andrea