“Great family restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Sylhet Bangla

Sylhet Bangla
Ranked #76 of 531 Restaurants in Preston
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Bangladeshi, Balti, Eastern European
Good for: Romantic, Dining on a budget, Large groups, Business meetings, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Preston, United Kingdom
“Great family restaurant”
Reviewed February 27, 2011

We have visited the Sylhet on many occasions and can honestly say it has the best naan bread I have tasted outside of India (albeit they do use rather a lot of oil). The staff are always very friendly, the restaurant is comfortable and the food is great.

• Visited February 2011

Preston, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Korma Ever!!!!”
Reviewed February 22, 2011

Very friendly,amazing food and clean evironment. We went for my brothers birthday and had a fab meal. The owner made a special starter just for my Dad. The Korma is so creamy, it is like heaven on a plate. The staff are very friendly and always have a smile on their face.

• Visited February 2011
“Good old fashioned ruby!”
Reviewed February 18, 2011

We have visited the Syhlet on a number of occasion and have never been let down. The hospitality of the head waiter is second to none, the service given by the rest of the staff is excellent.
Food is perhaps a little predictable However the specials menu does not disappoint. A range of dishes to suit every taste from mild to madness! They will also cook dishes to your request. On te downside I have been on a couple of occasions when the place lacked a little atmosphere and was frankly quite cold, but I am an early diner so I expect the place livened up after I left.

Dartmoor National Park, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 4,250 helpful votes
“Good but nothing overly special”
Reviewed January 14, 2011

We ate here on a Saturday night, turning up without booking having seen it was number 1 on Preston tripadvisor. Fortunately enough there was a table available, but we were sat down right by the front door (not the best seat with people constantly walking in front of us) to browse the menu before being taken in to the restaurant itself. It took an age for us to be asked what we would like to drink, with us having to ask the waiter to take our order, but when we did order them we received them quickly.

The menu is fairly typical in terms of an Indian restaurant, all the mainstream dishes, plus a house specials section. We opted for three dishes from this menu, preceded by poppadoms and chutney, and then mixed starters to share. The poppadoms and chutney were very good; large portions of tasty chutneys, all of which had their own distinctive taste. Te mixed starters included Chicken Tikka, Lamb Tikka, Sheek Kebab and Onion Bhaji, and all of these were good, perhaps a little better than your average Indian.

The mains - Lamb Rogan Josh, Chicken Pathia and Lamb Saag, I believe, were all good but not spectacular, much like the starters, and the naan bread was also good, but not the best I have ever tasted. The best dish was probably the Rogan Josh. We did not have desserts or coffee, but even without these the cost for three was around £50. The restaurant was very busy and is obviously doing a good trade, and yes, it is fairly good, but for number one on tripadvisor, nothing really stood out to put it above many other Indian restaurants I have visited.

• Visited October 2010
4 Thank chammp
Glasgow
“Reasonable prices, good curry”
Reviewed October 31, 2010

The Sylhet Bangla is a fairly typical curry house which brings itself up on the quality of its staff and the reasonable prices it charges.

The food was quite good with a decent array of chutneys with the poppadom starters, and tasty main courses. You get a good sized naan bread which I like. The waiter allowed me to modify my main course to include Paneer cheese which was decent of them.

I am a little disappointed that this is rated the best restaurant in Preston however - not to criticise too much but out of 100 restaurants in Preston we were expecting something to justify first place. It was fine but there were some notable flaws.

The toilets were a bit run down for instance. The coat-rack was full so we had to take our jackets to our seats. The waiter forgot our order for additional water. There was also a large table of guests who were drunk and singing without a consideraiton for others. It was awful - these guys were loud and out of key and it lasted for our entire meal. I think I asked for the bill at "It's a long way to Tipperary". Could the restaurant have done anything about these guests? Probably not but the fact remains this particular restaurant attracted such a clientel. You run the risk that they'll be back for Act Two if you decide to eat at Sylhet Bangla in the future.

5 Thank rufax12