“Not the easiest hotel to find but good when we did.”

Legacy Preston International
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Preston
Hampshire
“Not the easiest hotel to find but good when we did.”
Reviewed June 22, 2011

I came here with three colleagues. It is not, as I suggest in the title, an easy hotel to find. It is located within the university area of the city. Indeed it is surrounded by halls, faculties etc. That said I believe it is fairly close to the centre but I did not explore as I was exhausted by the time I got there.

There is a reasonable amount of parking which is free. Remember to enter your details on their electronic system at reception to ensure that you do not have a problem in the morning.

One colleague had dinner there. He was impressed with the Thai green curry, a vegetarian choice - and the service too.

The rooms are all very similar to Premier Inn etc. Not that much character but the bed was very comfortable, the bathroom and shower were good, the tv was a fair size and the tea/coffee facility was supplied with plenty of choices.

Breakfast was fine in the morning. It was a buffet, located in the basement, as against evening meals on the ground floor.

I had a problem getting to pay in the morning as there was no one on reception when I passed through. However, all was sorted out before I had to get away to work.

Recommend it ? Yes.

Room Tip: Get this new format sorted TA !
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 12, 2011

I stayed here one night on Friday 10 June 2011 with my teenage daughter so we could go to the University Open Day. The location was ideal as we could walk to the Uni sites and parking was free for 24 hours from arrival (you must enter your car registration number accurately at reception).

The room was clean and spacious for a 3 star hotel and breakfast was excellent. Bed very comfy but toilet did make a dripping noise when flushed for sometime. All the staff were helpful and cheerful. It was alittle noisy at night with guests coming and going but this is only to be expected in any city centre hotel. I did not hear too much traffic noise (our room overlooked the car park).

I would recommend this for any short stay in the area if you want to be near the university or city centre.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank brads_clarke
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 31, 2011

We had got a great deal from Booking.com for this hotel and we stayed in this hotel for 4 nights due to business & bank holiday weekend. The location is tricky to locate, you have to put in the full postcode in the navigator and programme the device with " Leighton Street". We got lost and had to call the reception around 10pm as we drove round and round a couple times.

The receptionist was helpful. Make sure you put in the correct car registration number on the parking registration screen by the reception. The room is spacious & nice powerful shower and bath. There are plenty of tea & coffee with lovely Walkers biscuits as a complimentary every day. Free Wi-fi and all you need to do is log in with your email address when the web page prompt your laptop.

The breakfast is the best out of all, nice & welcoming staff in the breakfast room and you can eat as much as you can!! Nice little touch that, you have some paper cups and tea & coffee (all free!) outside the breakfast room if you want to grab a cuppa before you go. We had room service on the first night, ordered a couple side orders with our meals. The £2 vegetable side order turned out to be microwaved carrots, mangetout for the size of a small fist. Our supposed to be roast salmon looked like deep fried and so as it roast potatoes!

We had a room on the second floor facing the dual carriage, it can be noisy if you are a nice sleeper!! One of the annoying thing that they didn't do when I requested to service my room was to hoover the floor. I can see the dust in my room for 4 days that I was there. You can walk to town centre in 5-10mins, very convenience for getting a quick lunch or dinner.

Same as the previous reviewer that we were in the hotel when the fire alarm happened numourous times!! We didn't get any information (or letter) from the hotel to let us know what happened. Well, at least you know that there fire alarm facilities do work!!

Last but not least, they charge £3.95 additional for any credit card payments. Overall, this is not a bad hotel to stay for a couple nights because the breakfast has won over our hearts.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Corelegacy
England
Reviewed May 29, 2011

This hotel is not too far from the railway station and very convenient for the university. It is a clean, modern hotel and the rooms surprisingly spacious for the money. We came up on a bank holiday weekend to help my son move out of his uni halls and stayed for two nights. We had one big problem on both nights - the car park is nowhere near big enough. There are only about 35 spaces (just checked the hotel website and it says 40, but not convinced of that) in a hotel with 75 rooms, with on street parking outside the hotel not even an option as there are double yellow lines in the surrounding area. If you arrive early, you can find a space, but if you choose to go out for the evening, either walk or expect to find a space when you return. It is not that close to the town centre, so expect a fairly long walk.

My wife was delighted to have a proper bath, rather than just a shower, and there are plenty of nice toiletries provided.

We had a disturbed second night. A large group of revellers returned to the hotel at 5am and created a huge amount of noise, running up and down the corridor, banging on doors, smoking (in a hotel with a complete no-smoking policy). I have since found that nine of them were partying in one room. There was only one member of staff on duty, the night porter, but when others came on shift at 7am, they were all thrown out. As a leaving gift, they set off the fire alarm, making sure that not just our floor but the whole hotel were woken up. Police were then called and arrived quickly, and in considerable numbers (three vehicles) but it might have been nice if they had been called earlier, rather than two hours of disturbance being caused to multiple guests.

A lot of reviewers have commented on street noise, but being five floors up, this was not too major a problem for us as long as the window was kept shut.

The staff, to their credit, were very apologetic, and their standard of customer service was, on the whole, quite good. It is just a shame that they were so slow to react decisively to this problem. Naturally a single night porter cannot be expected to deal with nine people on his own, but if he had requested assistance earlier our break might not have been so badly spoiled.

Just to make matters worse, while attempting to reset the fire alarm, it was set off again at 8am, but by this time most people had already made their way to the breakfast room. We got back after breakfast to find a letter under our door apologising for the earlier false alarm and saying the first alarm had been set off "in error" by a hotel guest. Why they could not just be honest and say it was a disgruntled drunken evicted guest on his way out the door is beyond me.

Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Datamonkey
nottinghamshire
Reviewed May 23, 2011

My husband and I booked this hotel at the last minute and now wish we hadn't. It is on a main dual carriage way/by pass around Preston. The double glazing was totally in-adequate and the drone of traffic was constant, no where in the literature did it say it was situated at the side of a dual carrriage way, hence to say we were awake all night , I thought about counting sheep to make me sleep but I counted taxies instead hence to say with the noise nothing worked. was awful. Rooms are average, boring but functional. The double duvet on a king size bed didn't help. The pillows were like rocks and they had nothing softer. The sheets were ripped. The shaver point did not work and neither did the fan in the bathroom. At 4am we phoned reception to see if we could be moved the porter said they had another room but the noise issue would still be there as guests often complained about the noise. He said he would tell the duty manager in the morning that we had complained and we would more than likely receive a refund. I was also bit several times by something in the room (and it wasn't the husband) it looks like flea bites.
The next morning we saw the assistant manager a odious woman who constantly patronised me by telling me that we should expect to be situated by a busy dual carriageway as we were in a city centre hotel. I have stayed in many city centre hotels but never so close to a dual carriageway. When I showed her the bites I had received she was not happy.
Hence to say never again!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Don't bother going
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank christine w
Crewe
Reviewed May 17, 2011

Very convenient as I was working for the University which is just across the road. Very clean. Staff friendly. Dinner surprisingly OK. Didn't mind the traffic noise as I live on a main road.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room if not used to traffic noise
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Bristol, UK
Reviewed May 5, 2011

First of all make sure you book through a 3rd party (bookings.com or similar), because if you book direct with Legacy they insist on pre-payment! I was even advised to do this by Legacy staff. Finding the hotel is tricky, due to Preston's one-way system but once you do there is ample car-parking and efficient check-in. Rooms were a decent size with comfy, modern bed and fittings. Modern bathroom but only soap provided. Bar was open until 2.00 a.m. but had no atmosphere. Really just an annex to reception. Breakfast was very good; self-service and nice full English, included in the rate of £75.00.
Now, these rules; You have to electronically input your car registration at reception. No problem, until you read the signs that threaten a £90 fine if you make a mistake inputting the number! Also the fact that you have to pre-pay on Legacy's website and their restrictive cancellation policy is a pain.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business