“Worth a try.”

Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Staff not over friendly. Food prices a bit steep. Service a bit slow. On the whole the food was decent enough (apart from the mash and chips, strange taste.) Varied menu and lovely desserts. Would probably visit again at a quieter time or reserve a table first. (land lord not sure he could fit us in at first and also staff added 2 items to our bill that were not ours.)

Reviewed November 25, 2013

Took mum here for her birthday - one of the few places open on a Monday lunchtime. Mum had garlic mushrooms, which were good but the bread they were served on was too tough for her to cut. Husband's Thai fishcakes & my haddock goujons were delicious. For mains, mum had 1/2 portion of fish & chips, which was perfect for her. Husband had full size portion & I had 1/2 portion of hotpot. We all really enjoyed our meals and were too full for a sweet. Coffee was very reasonable at £1.20 for a latte. Service was attentive & the waitress was very helpful. I would definitely eat here again.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

After a long trip to Durham for the day we decided to visit the Corporation arms it was around 6-30 and the place was already busy. Found ourselves a table and ordered from the weekend menu 2 courses for 12-99 I had a very nice platter of smoked fish followed by a steak and Stilton suet pudding. Fish excellent and the pudding also although it was a giant of a meal. My wife had mushroom stuffed with peepers and covered with goats cheese followed by chicken Kiev and as there was nothing left on the plate I decided she must have enjoyed it. The bill was less than £40-00 with two drinks each. Great value for money for good pub grub.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

Used to be really good a safe bet but must have changed hands everything is deep fried in old oil 3 people went we thought it was bad and complained

1  Thank Nick J
Reviewed September 23, 2013

It has been many years since we have eaten here, but decided going off TA reviews, that we would take elderly mother in law for early tea on Sunday - thinking that it would be a quieter time than lunch and just before evening meal time, we booked for 4.30pm. It was fairly quiet as expected and service for drinks was very prompt after we had been shown to our table.
Both myself and MIL ordered off the specials board, MIL salmon filet with leek and pea sauce and new potatoes and I ordered spicy Moroccan lamb stew with rice and side salad (I think veg would have been more acceptable) the stew however was extremely tasty. The husband chose the steak with chips and stilton pepper sauce which was just to his liking.
For sweet we ordered sticky toffee pud, brownie and mint icecream (the brownie a little dry for my taste) and 3 scoops of icecream for MIL.
With one pint and two soft drinks the bill came to £65 ish - of course the soft drinks were very expensive at £1.90 for diet coke and £2.20 for lime and lemonade.
A pleasant meal and we would visit again.