“On our way home”

Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed October 13, 2013

After a long trip to Durham for the day we decided to visit the Corporation arms it was around 6-30 and the place was already busy. Found ourselves a table and ordered from the weekend menu 2 courses for 12-99 I had a very nice platter of smoked fish followed by a steak and Stilton suet pudding. Fish excellent and the pudding also although it was a giant of a meal. My wife had mushroom stuffed with peepers and covered with goats cheese followed by chicken Kiev and as there was nothing left on the plate I decided she must have enjoyed it. The bill was less than £40-00 with two drinks each. Great value for money for good pub grub.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

Used to be really good a safe bet but must have changed hands everything is deep fried in old oil 3 people went we thought it was bad and complained

1  Thank Nick J
Reviewed September 23, 2013

It has been many years since we have eaten here, but decided going off TA reviews, that we would take elderly mother in law for early tea on Sunday - thinking that it would be a quieter time than lunch and just before evening meal time, we booked for 4.30pm. It was fairly quiet as expected and service for drinks was very prompt after we had been shown to our table.
Both myself and MIL ordered off the specials board, MIL salmon filet with leek and pea sauce and new potatoes and I ordered spicy Moroccan lamb stew with rice and side salad (I think veg would have been more acceptable) the stew however was extremely tasty. The husband chose the steak with chips and stilton pepper sauce which was just to his liking.
For sweet we ordered sticky toffee pud, brownie and mint icecream (the brownie a little dry for my taste) and 3 scoops of icecream for MIL.
With one pint and two soft drinks the bill came to £65 ish - of course the soft drinks were very expensive at £1.90 for diet coke and £2.20 for lime and lemonade.
A pleasant meal and we would visit again.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

Found the Corporation Arms as a place to stay during a mini road trip with a girlfriend, rather that a place to eat - but sooooo glad we found it.
A proper counrtry inn, complete with creaky floors in the bedrooms - a real inn - not a faked up one.
Our stay was fabulous - the evening meal (I has the Italian Lamb casserole - and could eat it again right now!!!) and beer choices at the bar amazing! Breakfast was awesome.
Hoping to go back with my Fiance week after next!
Guy who met us as we arrived! Thank you - your professionalism made our stay.

Reviewed September 14, 2013

Food amazing, homemade and good portion size. Desserts huge. People who brought out the food were lovely. As soon as we got there we were told we had to leave the table we picked by 6.30...fair enough but let us sit down first! Snooty blonde who took our payment at the reception part needs a brush up on customer service. Didn't say thank you as we paid and as my partner was saying thank you and goodbye she just turned to a colleague and started talking! Only minus point of an otherwise great first visit!