“They forgot about us!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Punchbowl Lapworth

Punchbowl Lapworth
Reserve with OpenTable
Punchbowl Lapworth is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #106 of 288 Restaurants in Solihull
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Scenic view, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
birmingham
“They forgot about us!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

Second visit to the punchbowl. The first was better, which is why I returned. Everything started well, its a nice pub. Friendly staff. The menu reads well and I could have eaten any of it so I chose whole baked plaice from the specials (on recommendation). There was a bit of confusion over availability of the plaice, but it was resolved quickly enough for me to get what I wanted. We ordered a steak for little man, and a Mexican board for my wife. When the food arrived it was nicely presented. The steak was cooked medium which was fine for us, I was expecting it well done as the waiter didn't ask how my boy wanted it. The Mexican board was the better of the three dishes. The fish could have been trimmed and black skin removed and I don't think it was the freshest. Although the crushed potatoes and aioli accompaniment was delicious. I had Side of veg which was not cooked nearly enough (lucky though, I don't mind raw veg. It was quite like crudite dipping it in the aioli). Little man's onion rings were greasy, a flaw in most homemade rings I've ever had. The steak was good quality, and chips were cooked in fresh oil. My wife's platter was very nice, a variety of Mexican flavours with a nice salsa and guacamole.

Once finished, it was a good hour before we went in search of a Waiter. The bar had filled up and all attention was now on a couple of large tables ordering drinks. We had been forgotten about! I'll assume it was the manager, apologized for the situation, they HAD just forgot us and offered desserts on the house. I hate accepting freebies, I would much rather a good meal and good service to deliver it. especially on our anniversary. It was so late by this point but we ordered some sweets which were very nice. Sorbet, ice cream and a very sweet apple crumble. We got some more apologies, which were heartfelt, paid and left.

I would go back at some point. I liked the menu and would like to try some more of it. Hopefully I'll be giving the punchbowl a better review then. But for now, regretfully, they didn't hit the mark.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Warwick
“a little pricey, but worth it.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

As always, superb food and in a stylish but relaxed atmosphere. It can be a touch expensive, but it is well worth the money if you enjoy good food. Worth particular mention is the children's menu which is possibly the best I can recall seeing if you want your children to be able to have something a bit more advanced than chicken nuggets and tomato pasta, if you don't, they do have more basic options, but you are not forced to go basic, and if you do, it is done well. The one blot on this visit, was that we had booked for 1.15 and when we got there we were booked for 2.15. Errors happen, it may even have been a mishearing at our end that caused the problem, I don't know, the important thing is though that they dealt with it well, we were made comfortable white we waited and they had our order ready for when our table became available. to be honest the hour of waiting flew by, which has to be a good sign!

• Visited November 2013
Glossop
“Superb”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

First visit here, which had been influenced by previous reviews. Not disappointed. Family lunch on a Saturday - 9 people including one in a wheelchair. Staff were welcoming and very attentive. Food quality and atmosphere were excellent and a good time was had by all. Well worth the visit and would recommend this one strongly.

Solihull
“Never fails to impress”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

Very lucky to get a table at short notice on a Saturday night - think because half term. Just had main courses - I had beautiful Moroccan Lamb, Harissa Rub, Baby Ratatouille, Couscous, Tomato Fondue, Tzatziki - yummy mixture of flavours and daughter had a combination of two dishes which they are good like that - Corn Fed Chicken with what normally accompanies the Calves Liver - Cippolini Onions, Smoked Bacon , Creamed Mash Potato & Shallot Gravy plus a side order of vegetables. Brilliant service and attentive waitress. Lovely atmosphere and ambience.

Coventry, United Kingdom
“Lovely pub but too darn hot!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

We went to The Punch Bowl with 2 friends to celebrate 2 of our birthdays so it was a double celebration. When my friend booked the table she did say that it was a double birthday and asked for a good table, however we were still put into the main dining room even though there were empty tables at the other end of the bar so this was a little disappointing. The food however was lovely as were the staff who were very welcoming from the moment we got there. Price wise my husband and I paid £8 for a large glass of wine and a coke (he had the coke as he was driving!!) and the meal was £120 approx for all four of us having 2 courses each.
The only other downside was the temperature with the pub, it was absolutely boiling!!! Do not whatever you do wear anymore than a thin top, you will not need a jumper or a cardy of any sort.
Overall a lovely evening, but don't wear a jumper and don't expect a private table as its pretty tightly packed!!