“Room 220 avoid”

Ranked #11 of 25 Hotels in Solihull
London
“Room 220 avoid”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel many times. Its location is great, the breakfast good and if you get a ground floor rom facing the bowling green a pleasant stay.
However, if you do not expect a long walk around the hotel and me some distance from the bar and reception.
They convinced me to become a loyalty club member as I would be upgrade. I duly did and my preference for a ground floor room (disability noted). Next visit all well - great room. Next one a long way away.
The most recent visit - room 220. Second floor above the reception and where guestssmoke. Extreamly hot. No fan. Windows not left open. When you opened them the cigarette smoke and noise from the smokers was an issue - to 3am. This coupled with taxis arriving, the coach load of Swedish guests leaving at 6am and the lift engineers starting on replacing a lift immediately next door at 8am meant that I got little sleep.
The bed mattress had failed anyway. I could feel each spring. The digital TV box had to be reset every few minutes and the last straw no plug in the sink.
On complaining I was told the hotel was being refurbished and they were very busy. Great for them but what about my stay that night!!! Not at all happy with the response I got or the receptionists. Was given a free newspaper in recompense. Speachless. Probably a 20 room booking once a month lost to them!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Customer Servic... S, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Birmingham Solihull, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
My sincere apologies if you were disappointed during your recent stay, this has been responded to directly as the room number is incorrect.
Our new lifts are now in place and the room mattress has been changed (which is not the room as stated in your response).
Whilst we are undergoing a great deal of work we are doing everything possible to minimise any disruption to our guests and apologies if we were unable to do so on this occassion.

Customer Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
essex
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Turned up around 8.00pm after a very long hot drive, and in desperate need of a little TLC.

Reception seemed efficient enough , but not exactly brimming with bonhomie. Check in took just a few moment, and then I was directed off to my room - in the wrong direction. You have no idea how frustrating and irritating this is, especially when you are weary and dragging an overnight bag around.

Anyway, after a return trip to reception, I finally reached my room. It wasn't really worth the aggro.

It was old fashioned, outdated, and with absolutely no guest appeal whatsoever. As I was only staying the one night I dumped my bag and met up with my colleague to find a bite to eat. It's definitely not the hotel's fault that we ended up at an overpriced substandard Chinese restaurant, but it didn't add to my mood by the time we got back to the hotel.

We wandered around in search of a nightcap, and found the hotel bar to be extremely pleasant. The problem here was inconsistent pricing as we purchased subsequent (identical) rounds.

Anyway - off to bed. No chance of sleep however. The bed was quite literally a pain the the neck, the back, and the bum. Worst hotel bed I have stayed in for years.

I could whinge about the redecorating, the non-functioning lift and the long dark corridors, but what the heck - it was just one night.

And it will be just the one night - I'm not going back there (not out of choice anyway).

Room Tip: Just don't.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Customer Servic... S, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Birmingham Solihull, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor.
I am sorry you were unhappy with your stay and will do my best to answer your concerns.
The hotel is undergoing a refurbishment programme and we now have two brand new lifts in operation, the corridors have been renovated with new ceilings, lighting and redecoration.
Many rooms have new beds and remaining beds are being replaced.
Your comments regarding the bar charges have been forwarded to the bar manager for further investigation.
I hope you will reconsider visiting us again in which case please contact me and I will do everything to ensure your stay is enjoyable.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I took my mother here for afternoon tea for her 60th birthday. George's restaurant was clean, relaxed and very comfortable. The staff in the restaurant were extremely friendly, polite and helpful, especially Liz. The food was delicious and beautifully presented. We sat in a window looking out over a bowling green. It was lovely. I would definitely recommend this place and hopefully go back there myself!

1 Thank cmb2621
Customer Servic... S, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Birmingham Solihull, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor.
Liz and all the team at Ramada Solihull are pleased you enjoyed your visit and we all look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Geneva
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I held a meeting with a client at this hotel, and only have experience of the charming old pub (now the bar) which is known locally as "The George", together with the restaurant. The staff were superbly friendly and eager to please in both departments, with the bar charmingly retaining an old-world feel and atmosphere. Little touches such as offing the parking charges were explained, and also for once I was actually spontaneously proposed the wifi access code. The lunch menu was very comprehensive, with several choice for vegans and vegetarians - which one of my guests happened to be. Very respectable Shiraz was available by the glass, and the service was attentive without being obtrusive. With a view over the centuries-old bowling green, it was hard to imagine we were just a few miles from the centre of (arguably with Manchester) Britain's second largest city.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Customer Servic... S, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Birmingham Solihull, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor we are pleased you enjoyed the hospitality you received and look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

East Riding of Yorkshire
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I love a hotel with a sense of history and character and I wasn't disappointed. A lovely, clean comfortable and cool room in the hot weather. Great to sit out overlooking the bowling green in the evening. I understand the hotel chain would like to build a gym or a car park on this historical and tranquil open green oasis and Solihull Bowling Club are trying to get it listed! Loved the location, right on the pedestrian High Street and directly across the road from the church. The staff were very helpful and friendly and the food delicious. I will definitely return.

1 Thank XantheSG
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor, we are pleased you enjoyed your visit.
The Bowling Green is the oldest in the UK and loved by tourist and locals alike, I assure you it is here to stay!
We hope to welcome you back very soon.

Lisburn
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Not only was the weather HOT' 30 degrees' but our welcome at this quaint yet modern hotel was also warm and welcoming. We had travelled most of the day and arrived after 8pm hot, tired and hungry, the receptionist was quick and efficient so we soon entered our suite (although we had quite a walk before we got to the lift!)...split level with large king sized bed up a spiral staircase...I left my luggage downstairs and used wardrobe there as it was too heavy to carry my bag up these narrow stairs. The restaurant is overlooking a bowling green and is restful, menu has quite a good choice & the dishes we ordered excellent. This hotel has a long history with the town and is close to the centre which has many shops, bars & restaurants also Breuton park is on the doorstep with ducks to feed and scenic walks, so lots to see and do.
The only drawback was no air conditioning, but the weather was exceptionally hot.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Whilst we can do nothing about the weather I am pleased the staff contributed to give you a warm welcome!
We hope to welcome you back to Ramada Solihull (hoefully with more comfortable weather).

thailand
Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

Pros:
The service was good and whenever we rang reception we were dealt with efficiently and politely.
The location is great for Solihull shops and restaurants
The bathroom was lovely.
The bar staff and hotel staff were friendly, helpful and polite.
Cons:
Poorly ventilated rooms.
Corridors with pungent odours.
Broken fan which was fixed quickly, however it was so tiny that it did nothing to help aid our sleep during the heatwave.
Uncomfortable beds thus two nights with little sleep.
Broken fridge which to their credit was fixed quickly.
Mouldy bread at breakfast.
I had to ring to have my room made up even though our door hanger was on the door. It was done quickly but the tea, sugar, milk and coffee were not replaced. Our towels were changed but they had a less than pleasant odour.
Overall an adequate place to stay but I would not return.

• Stayed July 2013
Customer Servic... S, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Birmingham Solihull, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor.

There are some issues which I cannot reply to without further information, please contact me directly on customerservices@ramadasolihullhotel.co.uk and I will be happy to offer more details.

Most of our rooms have new beds and we do inspect immediately if any guest has an uncomfortable night stay to make any possible improvements.

The time of arrival can reflect on when rooms are ready and although we do have a check in time of 2pm many guests arrive before this time. We will always do our utmost to accommodate early check ins, where possible.