“Comfortable town centre Holiday Inn” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crowne Plaza Solihull

Crowne Plaza Solihull
Ranked #9 of 25 Hotels in Solihull
Otley, United Kingdom
“Comfortable town centre Holiday Inn”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012

I stayed here on business recently for one night.
The hotel is situated in a very convenient position for Solihull town centre.
The reception area was large and welcoming with a fireplace and loads of sofas dotted around the bar.
My room was comfortable and clean but could have done with a bit updating. The TV in the bedroom was old and not a great picture and the remote control didn't work properly.
The bed was a large double and was comfortable and there was a good size full en-suite bathroom.
I used the swimming pool and the leisure facilities at the hotel which were good but not brilliant. The steam room didn't produce much steam and the pool was a very peculiar shape to swim in!
Again, I felt that the leisure club could have done with a bit of modernisation.
I had breakfast the next morning at the hotel which was fine with a good selection of hot and cold food.
The staff all seemed to be ok, no complaints, but not excellent customer service either.
All in all though I would have no problems with staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Martin W, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Solihull, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Solihull

I was pleased to read that you found our hotel to be comfortable and convenient for your needs

Whilst I appreciate it may be of little consolation to you, but since your stay, we have replaced all televisions within the hotel with up to date flat screen models. Additionally, during December, our Leisure Club underwent a refurbishment of the gymnasium, dance studio, reception and changing rooms.

Thank you again for taking the time to post your review and we hope to welcome you back to the Holiday Inn Solihull in the future to experience the improvements we have made since your last stay

Martin Woods

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Corby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

This is a nice, comfortable, average hotel that I used for an overnight stay while attending an event at the NEC Arena. My room was comfortable if a little dated. I've come to expect the TV to be a flat screen LCD in contemporary hotels while the one in this room was so old it was still using teletext. I had a very peaceful night's sleep and both my check-in and check-out processes were fast and efficient. The staff were very helpful throughout my stay and I would certainly consider using this hotel again if required.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest

I was pleased to read that you found our hotel to be comfortable and our team to be helpful throughout your stay

Carmarthen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

I stayed here with my mom (girls weeknd) and we had a great weekend.
There was a wedding going on at this hotel,the couple being from Newport and we all hit it off.
Welsh kilts and all!! six nations was on too,although we didnt mind. The staff were very pleasant,the room was excellent,breakfast to die for!
We spent 2 nights here and enjoyed every minute.Being from Birmingham ourselves it was nice to catch up with family at the bar,then move on to the new shopping centre for a fab meal and wine !
Our room over looked the lake,lovely and bright.lots of clean towels etc. We did ring reception as one of the bulbs had blown n the main light and within 5mins a lady appeared and fixed the problem for us.
Would definately stay here again.A short walk to the railway station,hoped on a ten min ride to city centre to the museum and have a peek at Davinci's sketches! Then cake and coffe in cafe rouge............bliss

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank EMMA J
Dear Guest

I was delighted to read that you had a great weekend with your Mum and that you found our team to be pleasant, room and amenities excellent and “breakfast to for”

Thank you again for taking the time to post your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Solihull in the future

Blandford Forum, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

The rooms were clean and the bed comfortable. The staff were welcoming, friendly and efficient. didn't eat an evening meal there but it did not look to be cheap. Plenty of alternatives nearby.
Two problems
a. breakfast: plenty of choice, good coffee, on both mornings the scrambled egg looked as if it had been put out about 4 months ago
b. they charge residents to park at the hotel. This is not noted on the website and when I complained that this was the case the money was removed from my bill but it is sneaky. Parking is sufficiently difficult in the centre of Solihull that I am sure they need a barrier but charging £5 per day on top of the bill and concealing the charge is not on. The charge for wifi is also unacceptable. More and more hotels have either made it free or reduced their charges and it is about time this chain caught up.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jeremy69Uk
Dear Guest

I am pleased to read that you found our rooms to be clean and comfortable and our team to be friendly and efficient.

Thank you for your comments concerning the plentiful breakfast offering however I must apologise that the scrambled eggs were not up to standard. I have of course followed this up with the Head Chef to ensure there be no reoccurrence in the future.

I have noted your comments concerning the charge for car parking. We do state on our website that parking charges apply at £5.00 per car per night however please be assured that we regularly review our pricing for car parking to ensure that we remain competitive with other city/town centre hotels and the charge for residents is significantly discounted.

Unfortunately our Wi-Fi, and the technical support for this service, is provided by an external company therefore it is necessary to charge our guests for using their services.

Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

Using the 2 for 1 offer I treated myself to an executive room, cost about £125 for 2 nights. Huge room with king size bed (enough room for 3!!!!), separate TV room and luxury bathroom. Desk and chair was good, power sockets as expected, did about 4 hrs of work. Had a chicken burger from room service, top notch grub if your in a rush. Didn't have time for the spa, gym or pool.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Martin W, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Solihull, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for posting your review following your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Solihull.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your room so much having treated yourself to an upgrade. I think, from your description, you had been further upgraded to a suite. I was also pleased to read that our room service food offering was to your liking and that the prompt service met with your requirements

Once again thank you for taking the time to post your review of our hotel and I hope that you will choose to stay with us again in the future.

FARNHAM, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

Easy, short drive from the NEC. Used Avios points to pay for the room. We had a room on the third floor at the front, over the entrance canopy. The room was a good size with two double beds - our preference would have been for one king-sized bed but we weren't given an option. The mattress was of the sort that when one person moves the other can feel it which was a bit disappointing. There was a choice of pillows which all felt pretty similar to me but comfortable nevertheless! There were three bedside reading lights for the two double beds and one of the lights was "on the blink" - I left a note and hope it has been fixed now. For some of the night we could hear tapping on the plumbing but not so much that we had a ruined night. The curtains had come off the rail a bit and they overhung the radiator by quite a way, which was a bit daft - I think the heating is independently controllable for each room which is a good point . The bathroom was clean and all in working order (with a bath and shower over) and the bath towels were a good size. There seems to be plenty of parking but website didn't mention that there is a £5 parking charge. We didn't think it was worthwhile to pay the internet access charge, or £14 per person for breakfast. We ate in the restaurant and service was fine - we had the two course meal for two for £29.95 and both enjoyed our choices.

Room Tip: the rooms at the back of the hotel have a view over a lake
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mermaidFARNHAM
Dear Guest

We have addressed the points you raised concerning your bedroom and I am pleased that the bathroom amenities were to your liking. I am also pleased to read that you enjoyed our dinner offer of 2 dine for £29.95 including a glass of wine.

Heald Green Cheshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

This is a nice hotel, next door to the Touchwood shopping centre, and a 10 minute walk to the train station.
The Breakfast is good
The only disappointment is the evening meals, they are not good quality or value, and having stayed there several times, i have stopped eating my evening meal in the hotel. I now go into touchwood shopping centre where there is many places to eat.
Please sort out the evening meal quality Holiday inn management. when i next return on 7th November.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Paulandbetty
Martin W, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Solihull, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear Guest

I am sorry that the evening meals did not meat with your expectation. We always endeavour to use our guest’s feedback in a positive manner in order to improve our service and offering. To that end we would very much appreciate further detail from you, either by e-mail or in person on your next visit, on what it was you ordered so that we may address your concerns and improve our offering. I note that you were scheduled to stay with us again last week and I hope that all was to your liking during your visit.