“Better service this time”
Review of Pizza Express

Pizza Express
Ranked #145 of 335 Restaurants in Solihull
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed July 3, 2012

I have previously reviewed this restaurant, and the service can be a little hit or miss, but my partner and I went for lunch here on Friday 29th June 2012 and the service was very good!! As soon as we were seated, the waitress came and asked us what we wanted to drink, and we chose a bottle of White wine (chardonnay) for £13.95. It was an excellent wine, and I would certainly have it again. For starters the two of us shared a garlic bread with mozzarella - very nice but not quite big enough to share!! For main, I had the Pollo ad Astra Leggera (classic pizza with a whole in the middle, filled with salad - less than 500 calories), delicious!! My partner had the American classic pizza - very nice, but his personal favourite is the American Hot. I didn't have a dessert, but my partner had the raspberry cheesecake with mascarpone - excellent. The bill came to £42, which we thought was good for such a nice meal. We had a most enjoyable meal, and will come again!!

Reviewed June 1, 2012

We're fans of the Pizza Express chain and generally find them to be consistent and reliable and this was the case on the strength of this visit. This location is a little tucked away in Touchwood and maybe not as obvious as Giraffe and La Tasca but it's a nice, small restaurant and threw up no surprises. Service was good, food was good and we had no complaints. Pizza Express is certainly a more authentic feeling pizza chain than Pizza Hut or similar and we'd be happy to return.

Reviewed May 25, 2012

Visited at on a Sunday lunchtime.
With Pizza express you know what you are going to get.
Ambiance not as good as some other branches but considering it is on the upper level of a shopping centre you should not expect too much.
Food was good as it always is but felt that portions had got smalled and prices had risen.
Still fairly good value at about £15-£20 each for starter, main and a drink.
Staff were great and place was pretty busy but other people’s children behaving like they were in a playground took a little of the shine off.

Reviewed May 20, 2012

I go to this restaurant regularly at lunchtime, as I use Tesco vouchers to pay for the meal (only the food, not the drinks). It used to be a great place to eat, I always have the pizza with a hole in the middle, with a salad - about 500 calories, and a starter of rosemary garlic bread (yummy, we have one for the three of us). However, the last time I went there was a serious lack of staff, only 2 people waiting on tables, and they were rushed off their feet!! Don't know if this happens a lot, but I will go there again, as I like the place, and the views from the restaurant are very good.

Reviewed April 16, 2012

Visited mid afternoon on a monday and so the place was almost empty with only two other groups in and so one would assume that the service would be good as the staff are hardly rushed off their feet. Oh how wrong we were! After standing for a few minutes waiting to be seated with no staff members insight a waiter rushed over from the back sat us in a window seat and within a few minutes a waitress was over taking our order and (as there was hardly anyone else in and the chef was bored!) our food came quick. It was after eating our food that it all went down hill..
After about 5 - 10 minutes of having finished eating the waitress finally came over to take our plates and as soon as we declined any desserts we were ignored for nearly half an hour. For half an hour me boyfriend and I sat at the empty table with purse/wallet out clearly waiting for the bill but not one person came over. They could clearly see us sitting there waiting and did absolutely nothing. The waitress who served us when we sat down was hopeless and seemed to be standing around giggling to herself instead of doing her job. After 20 minutes we felt like walking out as it was getting ridiculous as no staff were to be found and when they did reappear getting their attention away from themselves was impossible. Finally, one waiter realised we were just sitting there and brought us our bill. Needless to say we didn't leave a tip and didn't complain when we were given too much change! This branch really lets the chain down as other Pizza Expresses have been excellent; I'll definitely stick to other branches in future!