“What a find! And such superb value.”
Review of Gables Guest House

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Gables Guest House
Ranked #47 of 53 Solihull B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 7, 2013

This really was a surprising delight, on every level. We needed a cheap and cheerful place to stay whilst exhibiting at a trade-show at the NEC. We decided to stay overnight at very late notice and did not want to have far to travel etc. Prices varied massively and we could have stayed at venue hotel for £120 each (!!) Anyway we plumped for the Gables and would do so every time.

We arrived at 1am due to a networking dinner and rang up to apologise and check that we could still get in! The member of staff on duty could not have been more accommodating. My room was delightful - beautifully refurbished recently? Thoughtful and attractive decor, lovely shower and everything I needed for a short or prolonged stay. Dining room was also beautifully decorated, very smart and breakfast menu quite extensive if I had had time!

I also had a very comfortable night's sleep with a selection of soft/firm pillows which was great as I need a soft one to avoid neck ache in the morning.

The same member of staff was on duty in the morning, again very helpful in every respect. He ordered us a taxi and it was with us within 5 mins. We were at the NEC within 15 mins of ordering.

My boss did not seem as impressed with his room as much as I was with mine, but perhaps his was due for refurb soon. He certainly had no complaints.

Incredible value and so convenient for NEC/airport without any noise disruption which was impressive.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Gables Guest House

Reviewed August 15, 2013

Not a place to stay, here for a week whilst working localy. Tv hanging off the wall bedside light with nowhere to plug it in, shower fittings all broken, kettle lead not reaching socket had to put kettle on the floor to boil. Came back to room at 4pm one day maid had not been told reception came back 8.30 still not done back to reception guy got the bar b que cook to do it. Saw lots of bedding outside propped up the wall presumably for de-lousing.

Room Tip: Don't turn up
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

Situated close to Birmingham airport, short drive to local shops etc and Solihull. It may be basic, but then is inexpensive for the area. Chef does amazing Indian food, at a very reasonable price. The garden patio is tree lined and peaceful. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank TrioTravellers057
Reviewed June 26, 2012

We stayed here as we were going to the NEC, and its not far away from there at all. The bedding was beautifully clean, the towels pristine white, however the rooms in general could have done with a little TLC. The manager/owner told us it was being refurbished soon. Not a 5 star establishment, but the staff were lovely, served our purpose very well. Not much else in the vicinity so we were pretty much tied to the place for evening meals - lovely Indian restaurant but I thought 3 nights of that would have been a bit much. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Audster5
Reviewed March 8, 2012

Very convenient location - not far away from airport, even bus stop is available (if you want to save couple of pounds). Staff pretty friendly.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Linxmas
Reviewed February 11, 2012

Worst ever stay at a hotel!!!! Got bitten to bits !! They changed my room when I complained but then had loads more problems including mould, no tv, water flooding the bathroom from the ceiling light, smells etc..... Do not stay here !!!

• Stayed: February 2012
2  Thank Ruby200
Reviewed May 7, 2011

Good Place close to the Airport. Food was really quite exceptional. Bathroom could have used a bit of TLC. I booked through bookings.com and got a great deal. Overall not much of a complaint as I got what I paid for and if you can live without 5 star luxury the Gables is a very good place to stay. It is Family run and local so should be supported in my eyes. A very nice family run this guest house and should be commended for offering such good value in an area around the airport that is CRAZY expensive!! A word of caution for all those coming from the Airport. The Taxi drivers will rip you off if you aren't careful. Always ask for your fare price before you get in the cab.

Room Tip: Call Ahead or book through website
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank ConnieMack77
Also consider these accommodations in or near Solihull
Tri-Star Hotel
Travelodge Birmingham Airport
Travelodge Birmingham Airport
#36 of 118 in Birmingham
Ibis Styles Birmingham Airport NEC

Been to Gables Guest House? Share your experiences!