Village Hotel Solihull
Robin Hood Toby(Birmingham)
Very Good 4/5
  • Pool
2,095 results
All reviewsthe vervevictory publeisure facilitiesclub roommodern hotelbusiness parkswimming poolgreat facilitiesbusiness tripsteam roomcomfy bedwould stay againreception staffleisure clubplenty of parkingevening mealtea and coffee
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I arrived at around 9:30am for my night's stay this week as my wife had to work in Solihull for the day. I had plenty of work to do on my laptop so was going to work in the hotel lobby before checking in later.

Unfortunately, through no fault of the hotel (I counted 6 plug points) there were no available plug points to charge my laptop so at around 11:30am I thought I'd be cheeky and ask to check in early. I was pleasantly surprised when the cheery receptionist said that was fine and I managed to check in early. I will also say that my experience of the reception staff continued along this vein for the rest of my stay and I found them extremely polite, happy and efficient. Well done to the Village Hotel Solihull on this.

Our room was good without being great. We had an upper deck room which is more expensive but after a negative experience in the Village Hotel Nottingham staying in a normal room decided to upgrade. The room in Solihull was modern and nice but I feel that the chain makes the upper deck rooms to be slightly better than what they are. Starbucks in your room pretty much amounts to a few sachets of instant Starbucks coffee and some UHT milk. The main problem in the room is the 4'6 bed. It was comfortable enough with regards to it's softness but a bed of that size should not be standard in a normal room let alone an upgraded one. This is one of my pet hates because very few people these days have a 4'6 bed at home so why hotels think this is ok in their rooms is beyond me. Free wifi throughout the hotel was nice to see, all hotels should have this as standard as it costs so little but many don't, so that was good.

We used the leisure facilities which were reasonable, although the pool was extremely cold. We also ate in the restaurant. We had a good meal, no complaints over the food and the 2 for £29 deal represents very good value. However from start to finish our 3 course meal took 3 hours due to the inattentiveness of the staff. I felt that they were a little incompetent and inexperienced (had no idea what soup of the day was!) and generally took about 15-20 minutes just to clear away our plates after each course. I must say that I did feel a little sorry for them though because there was a party of around 16 eating at the same time who then, at the same time as we finished, asked to pay separately (why do people do this?!) which must have caused the staff no end of trouble.

Overall I'd recommend this hotel as long as you don't mind a 4'6 bed. Usually I will give a hotel no higher than 3* with a bed of this size, however I made an exception with the Village Hotel Solihull because of their fantastic reception staff.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 3, 2013

A group of my girlfriends and I stayed at this fantastic hotel for my hen weekend in March 2013. We loved it! Everythign you could want under one roof. The pool was lovely and the pub servied fabulous lunches and snacks including a brilliant fishfinger sarnie that went down well with all of us. Breakfat in the morning was a delicious self-serve affair and whilst there was a small wait to be seated, this was no great drama. Would definitely recommend this hotel and we'll hopefully find an excuse to visit again.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms were lovely!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

Excellent place to stay. The staff were fantastic,the rooms were spotless, and the breakfast was lovely. A little bit expensive to stay but would defo pay to stay again. Could have really done with a 2 night stay to enjoy all the facilities.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Stayed at a few de vere villages, had a family room (for the 2 of us )which had a huge bed and sooo comfortable, meal in evening was not so great but included in hotel cost, service pretty poor also on sunday morning at breakfast peas all around our table from night before, breakfast itself was lovely great fry up and the man that works there on fri and sat morning made our day so upbeat and made us laugh a real credit to the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We visited this hotel whilst we were having a day at the NEC we arrived the day before and it was a fabulous break,
Hotel reception quite big with an in-house starbucks, room / bathroom were good size and modern, and well maintained.
Coffee/tea making equipment
Full use of facilities available for guest's pool etc.
1 restaurant and 1 main you could eat in either we preferred the bar meal menu which was very good.
Breakfast buffett style really good
Excellent location for NEC / Birmingham

Room Tip: Ring ahead to ask about upgrade for £20 p/r p/n when we stayed includes Sealy SweetDreams bed Bose speaker dock SkyMovies HD* UpperDeck private website Pinchable toiletries Starbucks in my room Snuggly duvet & bed linen
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple