“Excellent Value”

Ranked #3 of 14 Tewkesbury B&B and Inns
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Excellent Value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

No long saga from me with niggly complaints. I went for a two night break from day to day chores -not with the attitude of a Hotel Inspector.
Lovely two night break (in the snow) with a clean ,warm comfortable room and all the facilities I would have expected. Excellent breakfasts and extreemely pleasant staff.
The cost - it would have been more if I stayed at home. EXCELLENT VALUE

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

Like many others a good deal was there for the asking. Having spoken to a senior manager at Green King HQ, (owners of The Bell Tewksbury), some time ago, and explaining my wifes' immobility problems, we were allocated a room totally unsuitable for our needs. We rang Green King HQ and it was agreed that we could transfer to another of their hotels and the booking would also be transferred. However, we have been charged for both hotels although we did not stay at the Bell. It is probable that when staying at a hotel, we, like most folk, expect and prefer accessable rooms, friendly helpful staff, amiable surroundings etc. In this case we obviously thought The Bell at Tewksbury would offer the service and surroundings of other green King Hotels. WE WERE MISTAKEN!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Tewkesbury hotels

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

I had booked a last minute deal and this appeared to be a genuine saving unlike some supposed "bargain deals" offered on a last minute book a room website. As such, and having read reviews, I was not expecting a 5 star room or service for my 2 star price tag. The minor issues or faults with the room, or the food, or the service became a bit of an amusing game, sort of "What will happen next?"

However, there may be some guests who will lose sleep over the fact that the bathroom door hook is dangling and there is a large hole in the door beneath that hook, or that the shaving mirror is loose. If these things and a few more quirks are likely to cause you angst ask to see the room first. On arrival I asked the young man in reception if I could have a quiet room, and he very kindly offered me room 12. Room 12 overlooks the outside drinking courtyard which on a cold winter evening was quiet. The room was as clean as it could be and well presented, many thanks to the person who prepared it. The bed and the room size and furnishings were all clean and good and fine for me. The window lock was inoperable but it did close sufficiently to prevent any draft. The bathroom door did also close, almost completely, good enough for me as I was on my own. The damp piece of skirting board in the bathroom did not bother me, but some may not like it.

A friend met me for supper and we both had a cheese and bacon burger with fries, in the bar. What a lovely meal, hot and tasty. Excellent evening food and good service. Good selection of beers and wines. We sat in the lounge by a wood fire and were offered last drinks by the manager(?) before the bar was shut down, that was a nice touch.

The fire door on the landing which leads down to the kitchen area was permanently open and could not be closed due to a pipe that had been fitted across one side of that doorway. The fire door locking handle was missing. I had worked out that I could slide down the roof from my room into the courtyard if necessary, You should always have a back up plan.

The bed was comfortable and the room warm. Having set my alarm for 7am, I slept very well.

At 0630 my room was bathed in light and then the sound of a base beat from a radio had me intrigued, what was that tune, what station was it? Amusingly, or maybe for others irritatingly, it was too quiet to determine who was singing what, and equally amusingly or irritatingly, too loud to ignore, so I got up. I only lost 30 minutes or so sleep, no huge issue in the big scheme of things.

Breakfast was okay and I used my pipingly hot baked beans to heat up the bacon and the scrambled egg. Note to self: never ask for 1 egg to be scrambled, it looks pitiful on a plate. As a test I waited to be offered a second cup of morning coffee, and I eventually got one.

Overall I had an entertaining and enjoyable stay, and I would stay again, and I would suggest this as a place to others with the proviso that you need to be a bit relaxed about some aspects of the place. I did fill in a comments card and left this with the morning manager who asked me how my stay was. When I replied "Interesting", he did ask how and I showed him the card. Perhaps wisely, he did not pursue this, I was clearly not upset and as I had told him did not lose much sleep over the stay, and he could not carry out repairs there and then. An interesting place with character features the best features were the staff.

Room Tip: Some are near the kitchen extractor, some overlook the Abbey and the bells. Ask to see the room if...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
OldEnglishInns, Manager at The Bell Hotel, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Thank you for your review on your recent stay. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay. The staff work very hard to make our guests stays an enjoyable visit. I apologise for the issues you experienced in your room and the hotel I will endeavour to have these faults dealt with. We look forward to you staying with us in the near future.
Halesowen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

We spent a two night New Year package at the Bell. The food was excellent especially the New Years Eve Buffet. Service was very good provided by helpful staff. Our bedroom was adequate but needed a heater in the bathroom. We shall be returning to the Bell again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review on the Bell hotel. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your New Years Eve stay with us. I am sorry to hear about the bathroom, Rest assured we will have that rectified to avoid it happening in future.
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

Stayed at the Bell in room 9 - 29th/30th Dec.
Crisp white bedding and comfortable twin beds. Clean and ample size bathroom with power shower/ bath. Creaky sloping floors add to the atmosphere as it is an old country inn. Only downside is the slight drone from the humidifier unit in the kitchen nearby this room.
It's probably a listed building so double glazing to help this isn't an option, I suppose.
Restaurant/bar at night was not very busy, but this can happen at Twixmas. Food and ambience was okay though and Staff were pleasant. Kitchen ran out of some basic things at breakfast, e.g. orange juice and porridge. But there was enough choice.
Building not lit up for Christmas. Lights outside would have given a better look as you approached along the road. All in all a pleasant stay.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

Stayed 2 nights recently as a christmas present for my wife. Perfect location in this lovely town and friendly staff. Our room was comfortable (if small) apart from the bathroom (shower) having no form of heating. As the window catch was broken we could not keep out the drafts so any showers were taken in double quick time! We were also treated to the sound of some form of heating unit on the wall outside our room starting up at 6.45 each morning. Very loud so no lie ins! I must say that the pub itself was lovely and we enjoyed an excellent meal there on the last night. On checking out however, the hotel tried to charge someone elses drinks bill to our room! Would stay again mainly because of the good location but some tlc needs implementing in the rooms.

Room Tip: Perhaps ask for a room in the annex, which appears to be a little more modern.
Bath, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

This hotel is in an excellent position opposite Tewkwsbury Abbey and near the river. Staff friendly and helpful, food good and public areas well maintained but let down by bedrooms, which are cramped and whilst recently redecorated have poor quality damaged furniture, mouldy shower cubicles and noisy central heating. Also bedrooms can be accessed from the hotel or directly from the car park resulting in dirty corridor carpets.

Room Tip: Ask for a bedroom in the main hotel.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
OldEnglishInns, Manager at The Bell Hotel, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Firstly I would like to offer my apologies you found the room of poor quality, I can assure you maintenance is an ongoing process at the Bell, Bathrooms are currently in the process of having all the Mastic replaced and grouting redone, I will be sure to pass on you comment to the team that they are friendly and helpful.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tewkesbury
The Royal Hop Pole
Hilton Puckrup Hall, Tewkesbury
Royal George Hotel
Royal George Hotel
#1 of 1 in Birdlip

Been to The Bell Hotel? Share your experiences!