“Wonderful Old Building and Location”
Review of Tudor House Hotel

Tudor House Hotel
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Tewkesbury
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Wonderful Old Building and Location”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

We had a lovely welcome and were shown to a simply furnished and clean room. The Tudor Rose is set on a main road in the town and near to the river that made for a good base to explore the town on foot. We never ate there in the evening but the food looked good. Breakfast was first class. In summary a reasonably priced charming historic building with parking at the rear. Would stay again.

Room Tip: Room 1 appears to be huge with a river view but was booked when we stayed.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Thai first
Surrey, England
Reviewed November 21, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 4 nights in October 2013, and would stay here again if we revisit Tewkesbury. We found all the staff to be friendly and helpful. Ourr room was clean and comfortable.

We were booked into room No. 1, a quiet four poster room on the 1st floor in the main building, and paid £115 a night bed and breakfast.

I booked by calling the hotel direct and when I booked I gave our email address and got a confirmation by email within an hour of booking.

The room was large and comfortable with a large bathroom. (See photos) it looks out over the rear car park, river and fields beyond. We had nothing to complain about with regard to the room, turning on all the radiators made it a bit hot, so you could say it’s well heated! I understand some of the rooms are in an annex at the side of the car park, which may not be up to the standard of our room, and involves crossing the car park to get to and throw for breakfast etc. Our bathroom had a shower and a Jacuzzi, but we didn't get round to using the Jacuzzi. There is plenty of storage room for clothes etc, but no safe box.

The car park is at the rear of the hotel, and I counted 16 parking places. There are 25 rooms in the hotel. Access to the car park is via some pretty narrow back roads. My advice is to go down Quay Street off the High Street and take a right into Red Lane, rather than try and squeeze down Red Lane from the High Street. Thankfully we never met anything coming in the other direction!

Breakfast was good, we had no complaints: cereals, fruit juice, a choice of full English, or haddock, or continental breakfast, though someone from the continent might not recognise it as such.

The bar was quiet and relaxing: no loud music, no games machines, no TV and no loud lager swilling youths. Down one wall of the bar are a number of cosy alcoves to sit in and have a quiet drink and chat.

To the right of the hotel at the front is a ‘secret garden’ which would be a nice place to sit on a summers day or evening. Also at the back is a garden terrace to sit out in with a well (See photo).

A restaurant operates at the area at the back of the bar in the evenings. (There’s also bar food). We had mixed fortune with the food: the cannon of venison was really good, and could have eaten that every night. We had a ‘Tegine’ (Tagine?) one night and would have expected something in the Moroccan style, but it came with chopsticks (?) and was incredibly spice. The mushroom soup didn’t taste of mushrooms.

We ate at the Bay Tree Restaurant in Church Street one night and found this to be really good. It’s an easy walk from Tudor House. It was roughly the same price to eat there as in the Tudor House Restaurant and would eat there next time. Booking is advisable. Bay Tree is what you might call ‘Modern English’ menu with well thought out dishes in the modern style. During the day it’s a tea shop type place.

Tewkesbury seems a quiet sort of town. Saturday night for instance didn’t seem very lively. On the Wednesday and Thursday, when we were there, there was the annual Mop Fair. This harks back to Victorian times when the Mop Fair was held to sign up agricultural workers for the year ahead. Nowadays it’s a fun fair which involves sealing off some of the main streets, but you wouldn’t have known it was on at Tudor House end of town.

It’s an easy walk to the museums and Abbey from the hotel, and there are a number of riverside walks you can do from the hotel. The Tourist Information centre can supply maps.

Is it wheelchair friendly? My first reaction would be to say no, but I may be wrong, best to ring and check.

Room Tip: Try and get room No. 1 :-)
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 19, 2013

I only had a fleeting visit to the hotel however I was greeted to friendly staff, and was made to feel welcome within seconds of my arrival.

There is plenty of parking available, and the hotel is easy to find.

I had a single room (which was fine for the 1 night I was staying), and the rooms were clean with tea/coffee making facilities. The bed was comfortable and the heating works well, and can be switched off if you want to.

The bathroom was clean with hot water immediately available.

The breakfast looked amazing, however with it starting at 8am it was too late for me to try it which is a shame as I love small hotel breakfasts they're usually rather nice!

I'd definitely stay there again if I ever go to that part of the world. However, owing to my very fleeting visit I don't have much more to say about the hotel. It has free wifi too.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank William R
tewkesbury
Reviewed November 12, 2013

Booked the function room for my 60th birthday. It's a lovely wood panelled cosy room just right for us-about 18 people. Good 3 course menu with home made food including scrumptious pies. Attentive staff and well organised. Family who stayed in the hotel were impressed by the beamed rooms and canopy beds. Also good breakfast served.
Hotel did us a deal which was well received by all. Would certainly recommend it for anyone wanting a venue for a small wedding or celebration party like ours.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 11, 2013

A fabulous VIP room,with four poster bed and Jacuzzi bath. The breakfast was delicious. Friendly and helpful staff. Location was perfect. Loved the alcove seating in the bar area and the winding staircases. Would definitely recommend and stop there again.

• Stayed November 2013
Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

We've just come back from a weekend anniversary visit to the Tudor Hotel.
After reading the reviews and checking out a few photos, I decided the hotels VIP Four Poster room would suit us perfectly.

May I say the photos do not do this room justice, it's such a beautiful room, wonderfully high ceilings, immaculate bathroom with double shower and excellent spa bath. The four poster sits in a massive room with complimentary furniture, and has lovely views.

I've uploaded shine photos of this room, room one, but they still don't do it justice.

The staff are well informed about both the hotel and surrounding areas, and are both polite and attentive.

The food here is also worth a mention. Freshly cooked, and well presented. The breakfast choice was more than acceptable, yes you didn't get a huge serving but it was beautifully cooked... and No, you don't get any beans but why keep complaining about it... lol

It's the most wonderful and interesting hotel I've ever stopped in, we'll definitely be back and I think I'll struggle to ever find another room as stunning as room one.

Thankyou to all the staff for making this a perfect weekend :)

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Great Torrington, UK
Reviewed October 31, 2013 via mobile

Only in Tewkesbury for one day and called here for lunch. Lovely old building with good lunch choices. Excellent staff and good food. Wine menu good and reasonably priced. Definitely go again if in the area.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tewkesbury
The Royal Hop Pole
#4 of 22 in Cheltenham
The George Hotel
The George Hotel
#13 of 22 in Cheltenham

Been to Tudor House Hotel? Share your experiences!