“Simply the best”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

I use this restaurant on a regular basis either to sit in or take away, the service is superb the quality of the food is outstanding & the atmosphere is great.if ever in tewkesbury make sure that you have a nite out at the spicy life as its well worth a visit you won't be dissapointed. If you like a good curry their are plenty to choose from & too anyones tastes as my wife only likes a mild curry and I like the full works (hot)

1  Thank maddog37

Reviewed August 23, 2013

After sampling other Indians in the area, this is by far my favourite. The food was lovely, i recommend the specials such as the byriani special and although the décor wasnt jaw dropping the taste made up for it. I have had the joy of trying a range of mains and starters and both times have been full and taken home all my leftovers to have a great curry breakfast! Also we were allowed to bring our own drinks with no corkage even though they sell drinks there. I have since returned whenever i pass Tewkesbury to visit my family!

1  Thank AshSalam
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Coming back from Gloucester last Saturday, five of us walked into the Spicy Life purely because it's the highest ranked Indian In Tewkes however I was mindful that it still only ranked as 17th out of all the restaurants which must be unusual.
First impressions weren't good, It was desperately quiet, with only three tables occupied on a Saturday night it didn't fill us with confidence. You couldn't say it's a smart place either, the layout at the front is not much different to a take away especially when the delivery driver walks through every few minutes. The door was also permanently open as a consequence it is was also cold & noisy.
When a very grubby menu was handed out we nearly walked out but if this is the best ranked Indian in Tewkes and you are 45 miles from home, where would we go? We decided we had to make the best of it.
Our waiter certainly wasn't rude but he was far from friendly and not particularly helpful, so I'll be generous and say the service was functional.
On to the food, the poppadoms were good, warm & fresh with stanadard dips and things started to look up when the starters arrived. My sheekh kebab was ok, the mince a bit dry and it was covered with an unusual "sweet & sour like" sauce which wasn't unpleasant. The kids loved their chicken chat and so no real complaints thus far.
The main courses were generally good too, the wife's biriani was huge, the korma and masalla was also enjoyed but my jalfrezi was very oily and consequently a bit thin on taste.
There were no complaints with any of the sundries. Food wise it wasn't bad but with only average and very good as a rating I can't go any higher based on our overall experince.
The atmosphere and decor was a big minus, some of which made you question the cleanliness, this was a big shame because we thought the food is good, possibly very good with only me having a couple of gripes.
More customers would have made a big difference, I would like to see a little refresh of the decor and definitely new menus.

1  Thank CurryholicDudley
Reviewed August 2, 2013

It was ok, nice food but quiet. Not a great atmosphere. a little cramped at the tables, had a table for 2 and struggled to put everything on the table when the food arrived and the beer was already on the table. No reason not to go back.

2  Thank David T
Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

after friends recomendation we thought we would give it a try. we did not eat in we had our food delivered. food arrived in time specified when ordering. the delivery guy was nice and friendly and well mannered. on opening up our food it looked very nice and tasted even better and was loads of chicken in each dish very good portions. will definitely be using again as great value and very nice tasting

1  Thank shane m