“Lovely find..” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Great Wall
Ranked #31 of 75 Restaurants in Tewkesbury
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Bishop's Cleeve, United Kingdom
“Lovely find..”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

We couldn't have been made to feel more welcome on our first visit to The Great Wall. All of the staff were friendly and attentive without being intrusive. We ordered a set menu and were impressed with the quantity and quality of the three courses we had for £21.00 a head. We visited on a Thursday evening and the restaurant was busy all evening. It was obvious to us that many of the customers were regulars who were welcomed with considerable friendliness by the staff. Overall we thought the menu was comprehensive and good value for money. We will definitely be returning.

Visited April 2013

Tewkesbury, United Kingdom
“Excellent take away”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

We have been regulars at this take away for at least 15 years so were very nervous when we discovered that it was under new management. Most of the dishes on the menu remain the same and there are some welcome new additions. We started with the dishes that we always had and found them to be improved on the 'old' versions. Less oily and more flavour. We still get the complimentary prawn crackers and the little ones even get lollies now. Staff as always are excellent, polite, friendly and chatty. So in summary while the dishes are not exactly the same as they were, I would say they have been improved and so we will keep coming back.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Tarik L
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great Food And Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

The welcome and food are excellent although due to the small size of the restaurant the atmosphere and ambience can be affected by the behaviour of other patrons.

The decor and fixtures could do with some updating and the temperature that the wine is served at needs sorting.

That notwithstanding this place is well worth a visit

Visited March 2013
London, United Kingdom
“New owners have taken a great restaurant and changed it for the worse”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

My family have been going to the Great Wall ever since I can remember. It was always reliable - great, authentic food (not like the usual UK high street Chinese food) and friendly, honest service. Unfortunately, since the original owner retired last year, there has been a complete overhaul of what was once a great menu. Many of the dishes are now very unauthentic. Old dishes are also completely unrecognisable, with cheap, tasteless ingredients. It's now turned into just another of this country's multitude of substandard restaurants that pretend to serve authentic Chinese food. Why take a successful restaurant and ruin it for the sake of change? Sadly, we will never be returning.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank AnnaLS_13
Crewe, United Kingdom
“Hope the new owners read this.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

I have been going to the Great wall in Tewkesbury for pver 20 years (on & off) I always thought it more expensive than anywhere else but better than any where else too. never did I have cause for complaint. It has recently changed hands, I nipped in after work on Tuesday for a takeaway, the service was good, it didn't take too long, I ordered food that I would normlly order there,
When I got it home and started to make my way through my tea, I realised it was completely different to what I had come to expect from the Great wall, The shredded chicken noodles was just noodles with a heavily MSG laced sauce with lumps of processed chicken swimming in grease!
yet there prices have remained the same?? if the new owners don't realise soon that to maintain the excellent reputation that the Great walls former owners had built up for over 40 years, they have to use decent ingredients, then I don't expect them to be in business long.
The news of their food quality will spread through Tewkesbury like wildfire!!!

• Visited March 2013