“Fabulous”

Ranked #1 of 81 Restaurants in Tewkesbury
Cuisines: British
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: 16Th Century building with open fire and cosy surroundings and wonderful atmosphere. Food is of high quality and is freshly prepared. Exceptional service given by Shiho originally from Japan. Chef Mat and his wife Shiho bring a unique blend of high quality English and Japanese cuisine to the historic town of Tewkesbury. We offer a private room which seats 16 guests and our lovely beamed restaurant seats 29. Group parties are available also fine dining and business meetings.
Reviewed October 7, 2013

This was our third visit and we went with friends to celebrate my husband's birthday. Our friends had never been before and loved it. The food was superb and so was the service. I loved the starter of figs and goats cheese and the main course of halibut. They also do excellent Sauvignon wine - dry but fruity which i would recommend to anyone. Menu is a little expensive but the quality and service made you realise it was good value. Thank you.

Royden100, Owner at My Great Grandfather's, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2014

There are newer reviews for My Great Grandfather's

Reviewed October 1, 2013

I thought it would be nice to try out this restaurant. I must admit that the name is very strange but what's in a name?

The waitress who served us was in fact the only member of staff we saw but she was very attentive and helpful. Rather sadly on the day we visited we were the only patrons but it did mean we felt we could talk reasonably freely which was good since it was a business lunch.

The menu I felt was fairly limited but there were enough things to interest us. The starters when they arrived were absolutely huge; very nice but such large portions were not really necessary. The main course too was very good, an Italian Tournedos Rossini I have not had for a very long time. It was in fact quite rich with a very sweet sauce.

Naughty but nice we had a dessert too! And some very good new world wine.

If I say we were the last to leave, you may say that this was obvious but I think we would have been the last leave even if it had been full; we took our time and enjoyed the meal very much, if a bit expensive perhaps

Reviewed September 26, 2013

A delightful little restaurant with excellent service. Menu prices looked a little expensive but the quality of each course and presentation was fantastic which combined with the complimentary bowl of soup and superb home made bread made this good value for the price paid.

1  Thank apd1953

Reviewed September 24, 2013

After arriving in Tewkesbury on a Monday evening I didn't expect to find such a gem of a restaurant. The meal was excellent from the start homemade bread and a complimentary butternut squash soup. A starter of figs and goats cheese was well presented and tasty. Main course and dessert were also excellent.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

Came here with two colleagues the night before a training course. We'd been tipped off about this place by colleagues who attended a course nearby the year before. I am so glad we came. The food was absolutely fantastic.
We didn't have any starters (strict expenses budget to stick to) but after we ordered an amuse bouche was brought out to us. An asparagus soup with home made breads. Wholemeal bread stuffed with mixed nuts and a cheese and apricot loaf. Divine!
The rump steak was beautifully cooked rare-medium, served with a clever welsh rarebit stuffed mushroom, garnish, peppercorn sauce and wonderful chips. The pork also got a big thumbs up.
If we weren't full I think we'd have tackled dessert. Alas, no space left!