“An absolute star that brightened up a Monday evening!”

My Great Grandfather's
Ranked #1 of 78 Restaurants in Tewkesbury
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: 16Th Century building with open fire and cosy surroundings and wonderful atmosphere. Food is of high quality and is freshly prepared. Exceptional service given by Shiho originally from Japan. Chef Mat and his wife Shiho bring a unique blend of high quality English and Japanese cuisine to the historic town of Tewkesbury. We offer a private room which seats 16 guests and our lovely beamed restaurant seats 29. Group parties are available also fine dining and business meetings.
Nottingham
“An absolute star that brightened up a Monday evening!”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Came here with two colleagues the night before a training course. We'd been tipped off about this place by colleagues who attended a course nearby the year before. I am so glad we came. The food was absolutely fantastic.
We didn't have any starters (strict expenses budget to stick to) but after we ordered an amuse bouche was brought out to us. An asparagus soup with home made breads. Wholemeal bread stuffed with mixed nuts and a cheese and apricot loaf. Divine!
The rump steak was beautifully cooked rare-medium, served with a clever welsh rarebit stuffed mushroom, garnish, peppercorn sauce and wonderful chips. The pork also got a big thumbs up.
If we weren't full I think we'd have tackled dessert. Alas, no space left!

• Visited September 2013
Royden100, Owner at My Great Grandfather's, responded to this review, January 29, 2014

“Lovely”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

nice restaurant, ok service . Would I go back ? There needs to be more flavour on the plate .good Presentation doesn't mean a good meal . Service is charming and polite .

• Visited March 2013

My Great Grandfathers Restaurant
“Superb food, great service.”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

My wife took me here for my Birthday. I ordered the backed Camembert on a bed of strawberries....excellent, followed by braised pork, which was so tender and succulent. Just could not fault the quality of the food and the attentive service.

A couple of tips for the owners, change the music after its played once, i think we had a second loop, the route to the Toilet out back just needs a little tidy and some candles on the table would work well, not that any of these things detract from the superb food and great service and certainly is not something anyone planning a visit should have any concerns about....it's just my suggestion to make a very good experience just that little bit better.

Leicester
“Amazing place!”
Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

Had a truly awesome lunch here on a sunny Thurs afternoon. Some may see it as pricey and yes you can get cheaper in town but will it taste as beautiful as what we had today- I doubt it! We had the Camembert and goats cheese starters - delicious and then pork and beef Wellington for mains. The flavours were exceptional- alas no room for pudding :-( but did have a very nice coffee. We will be back !!

Dear Sir / madam

My wife and I are very grateful of your time to post your review.
We are very pleased that you enjoyed your time with us

See you soon

My Great Grandfathers
Taupo
“Sumptuous”
Reviewed September 11, 2013

My Great Grandfather's Restaurant provided our party of three with a sumptuous dining experience; the setting was cosy and intimate, yet not claustrophobic. We felt very much looked after by the Japanese waitress / owner at the front, who provided wonderful service and knowledgeable answers to menu questions. Amuse-bouche of hot asparagus & white parsnip soup was very much welcomed at the start, as were the selection of home-made breads. Prices were acceptable for this level of dining, and the presentation and plating blew us away with each dish. I personally found minor technical faults with the cook / composition of my dishes... but my own fussiness aside, the only other remark would be how the service wobbled a bit with the arrival of a young waiter who was apparently having a very nervy 'first night'. I'm sure he'll get it right next time, and knowing that MGG has been in Tewkesbury for 9 years, I have every confidence they'll be around for another 9 after what I experienced last night.

Dear Sir/ Madam
We are looking forward to seeing you again very soon