“Lovely Sunday lunch”

Ranked #1 of 81 Restaurants in Tewkesbury
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: 16Th Century building with open fire and cosy surroundings and wonderful atmosphere. Food is of high quality and is freshly prepared. Exceptional service given by Shiho originally from Japan. Chef Mat and his wife Shiho bring a unique blend of high quality English and Japanese cuisine to the historic town of Tewkesbury. We offer a private room which seats 16 guests and our lovely beamed restaurant seats 29. Group parties are available also fine dining and business meetings.
Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

Called in here for Sunday lunch after spending the afternoon in Tewksbury. They were very welcoming considering lunch service was nearly over.
The food was lovely and service great.
Would recommend and revisit if back in Tewksbury.

1  Thank Faye M
matgabb, Owner at My Great Grandfather's, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

Dear Sir/ Madam

Thank you for posting a review regarding our Sunday Lunch menu.
We are very pleased and grateful for this as sometimes the Sunday menu does get over shadowed by the weekday menu and not many people know we offer Sunday Lunches.

There are newer reviews for My Great Grandfather's

Reviewed April 23, 2013

We went here on the second night of a two night break soley on the recommendations of tripadvisor. It didn't disappoint and exceeded our expectations. The waitress was polite and unobtrusive and told us right at the beginning that as they didn't have one of the desserts on the set meun, we would be free to choose any other pudding from the menu. Myself and partner both chose the 24 day aged steak which was cooked exactly to our tasting and was a wonderful cut of meat. The hand-cut chips were to die for, fresh and crisp. The mushroom with a cheddar and horseradish topping complimented each other resulting in an unexpected delight.

The puddings (mine a poched pear and partners, sticky toffee pudding) were beautifully presented and delicious. This is clearly a chef who gives much thought, love and attention to everything he cooks, starting with the warm homemade brioche that greeted us after we had ordered.

My partner often travels abroad for work and has eaten at many upclass and expensive restaurants. He said that this was a meal that stood out as the best meal that he could remember having for a long time.

To top it all it was incredible value- GBP22 for a two course meal.

I would recommend this to anyone visiting Tewkesbury and even those who are not, to make a trip to this great restaurant.

Dear Sir/ Madam

Thank you for taking the time to write you're review.
We are so pleased you enjoyed you're meal and also thank you for reflecting on the fact we do our very best to obtain fresh quality ingredients.
Reviews and comments such as this make it all worthwhile and we greatly appreciate you're custom and you're feedback

Reviewed April 22, 2013

11 diners was beyond their ability to cope with. Service was slow (an hour and a half for one course) The main course came on a stone cold plate, so the vegetables went cold very quickly but at least the duck was ok. They said they had kitchen problems on the night. So ok, life's like that, things go wrong BUT tell us that at the start of the evening - we can always make a choice and come back another day when we'll both have a better experience. Telling us at the end means a wasted evening. Not at all sure why this restaurant is so highly rated

3  Thank dmb100
Royden100, Owner at My Great Grandfather's, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Dear Sir

My wife and I remember you well.
We did have problems with our kitchen equipment as you pointed out. We returned from holiday to find our kitchen refurbishment had not gone to plan as the gas in the kitchen was not connected back properly as the gas valve was half closed.
We did our very best that evening and we did not know what was happening until the next day when the engineer came to fix the problem.
You pointed out we did not inform you of the problem this is not the case. As the evening progressed with more customers arriving, the demand of gas grew and grew causing the pressure to drop. As soon as we knew of the problem all of our customers were informed including yourself and your wife.
My wife offered you a complimentary bottle of wine as compensation to the fact you could not have the brandy basket with the Turkish delight dessert. This was because we did not have the oven power to produce your brandy basket for your dessert.
My wife Shiho is very upset that you left very unhappy but please understand my wife and I did everything we could to make the situation better.
My wife offered you to dine with us the following night on the house to show you what we really could do but you refused. Should you change your mind please contact me with your booking details on the night in question to arrange an evening for you and your wife, Please understand we require the details from the night in question to prevent fraud when contacting us.
Please accept our sincere apologies
My wife and I work very hard to ensure our customers receive the best and it fills us with great disappointment when as you say ok life is like that when it comes to equipment malfunction.
My wife and I have spent a lot of money investing in new equipment to avoid nights such as this one.
We are very grateful you came to try our restaurant but are very saddened you left unhappy
We hope you take us up on our offer

Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

Had a great visit to My Great Grandfathers at the weekend - it deserves being number one in Tewkesbury based on my visit.

The prawn cocktail was a stunner - this 1970s dish was given a good makeover, massive king prawns mixed with smaller prawns and a tasty sauce was a great (and large) starter! The mains were very good too - my wifes pork was moist and tasty served with fresh vegetables and my fillet steak (hung for 35 days) was cooked to perfection served with meal homemade chips - not French fries - which were fabulous.

Overall for the price paid (£120) for two main courses, two mains, one desert, two liquor coffees and two bottles if wine I thought it good value and I would, if back in Tewkesbury, be booking a table at MGG's.

Dear Sir

Thank you for taking the time to post you're review.
We are very grateful for you're custom and for you're support.
My wife and I are very much looking forward to seeing you again when you plan to return to Tewkesbury

Reviewed April 21, 2013

It was my wifes birthday on the third night of our stay in Tewkesbury, so having reviewed Trip Advisor for the number 1 ranked restaurant we booked My Great Grandfathers, and I must admit from our experience it lived up to it's billing.
We both had Butternut Squash and Red Pepper Soup with home made bread for starters. Soup was a very generous portions.
For main course I had Lamb Shank and me wife had Portabello Mushrooms. Both meals were extemely well presented and were excellent eating.
I'm afraid with the generous portions for starters and main there was no room for sweet
Staff were very friendly and resturant was very well set out.
Definately a return visit when we are next in this part of the world.

Dear Sir /Madam

Thank you for posting you're review.
We are very pleased you enjoyed you're evening with us.
Hopefully next time you visit you can enjoy a dessert as well
We are very much looking forward to seeing you soon

Kind regards