“Very good food and friendly service!” 5 of 5 bubbles

My Great Grandfather's
Ranked #1 of 75 Restaurants in Tewkesbury
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: 16Th Century building with open fire and cosy surroundings and wonderful atmosphere. Food is of high quality and is freshly prepared. Exceptional service given by Shiho originally from Japan. Chef Mat and his wife Shiho bring a unique blend of high quality English and Japanese cuisine to the historic town of Tewkesbury. We offer a private room which seats 16 guests and our lovely beamed restaurant seats 29. Group parties are available also fine dining and business meetings.
Derby, United Kingdom
“Very good food and friendly service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

Had a great visit to My Great Grandfathers at the weekend - it deserves being number one in Tewkesbury based on my visit.

The prawn cocktail was a stunner - this 1970s dish was given a good makeover, massive king prawns mixed with smaller prawns and a tasty sauce was a great (and large) starter! The mains were very good too - my wifes pork was moist and tasty served with fresh vegetables and my fillet steak (hung for 35 days) was cooked to perfection served with meal homemade chips - not French fries - which were fabulous.

Overall for the price paid (£120) for two main courses, two mains, one desert, two liquor coffees and two bottles if wine I thought it good value and I would, if back in Tewkesbury, be booking a table at MGG's.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
matgabb, Owner at My Great Grandfather's, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Dear Sir

Thank you for taking the time to post you're review.
We are very grateful for you're custom and for you're support.
My wife and I are very much looking forward to seeing you again when you plan to return to Tewkesbury

“A great find”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

It was my wifes birthday on the third night of our stay in Tewkesbury, so having reviewed Trip Advisor for the number 1 ranked restaurant we booked My Great Grandfathers, and I must admit from our experience it lived up to it's billing.
We both had Butternut Squash and Red Pepper Soup with home made bread for starters. Soup was a very generous portions.
For main course I had Lamb Shank and me wife had Portabello Mushrooms. Both meals were extemely well presented and were excellent eating.
I'm afraid with the generous portions for starters and main there was no room for sweet
Staff were very friendly and resturant was very well set out.
Definately a return visit when we are next in this part of the world.

Dear Sir /Madam

Thank you for posting you're review.
We are very pleased you enjoyed you're evening with us.
Hopefully next time you visit you can enjoy a dessert as well
We are very much looking forward to seeing you soon

Kind regards

Tewkesbury, United Kingdom
“Hidden gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

This is a hidden gem in Tewkesbury , it's cosy welcoming and fantastic food. The couple who own it are always there and so friendly and welcoming. It's exceptionally clean and hygienic and again the owners have extremely high standards regarding this. It's a romantic bistro type setting, candle lit tables, and the fire roaring in the winter. I cannot say enough about the food.. All I can say is try it, you won't be disappointed...

Dear Sir

Thank you so much for taking time to post you're review.
We are very pleased you enjoyed you're experience at our restaurant.
You're comments of our service and establishment are gratefully received as it makes such a difference to us.

Tewkesbury, United Kingdom
“Fantastic evening”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

Visited on a Monday night with friends for a birthday.
Restaurant was clean with a warm atmosphere. Only 2 other tables in on the same night but its only small so pretty good for a Monday in Tewkesbury.
Food - absolutely fantastic. Surprisingly large starters and steaks that were perfectly cooked and came with lovely sides.
Staff- one lady working and looked after us brilliantly all night.
Will definitely be returning!

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Royden100, Owner at My Great Grandfather's, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Dear Sir /Madam

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.
It means a great deal to my wife and I that you enjoyed your time with us
We hope you are well and you had a safe journey home
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Almost there”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

The restaurant is in abuilding, which is centuries old. The main room has about 24 covers.
We were there the day after the Easter Holidaywhich meant somentings on the menu were not available.
This worked to my advantage as I ordered a sirloin steak, and was given a large fillet in lieu.

For starters, my wife had the pate, which was very good, I chose the fishcake, which had lobster and crab in it.
It was beautifully presented and cooked, though for my taste it was underseasoned.

For the main course, My wife had pork loin, with a mustard souffle, which was excellent. My steak was good, The seasonal vegetabkles were beautiffly cooked, though were wer disapouinted in the soggy chips and the 'new' potatoes, which were overcooked.

Pudding for both of us, was home made turkish delight, with turkish delight ice cream, brandy snap basket and chocolate sauce, Very good
Wines range from about £17- 40 Good selection and some Belgian beers.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank RussellH39
Dear Sir/ Madam
We are very sorry about the chips but we are also very grateful for your feedback.
My wife and I have taken on board everything you mentioned and we are hoping to see you again very soon
Kind regards