“Best food I have ever eaten!” 5 of 5 bubbles

My Great Grandfather's
Ranked #1 of 75 Restaurants in Tewkesbury
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: 16Th Century building with open fire and cosy surroundings and wonderful atmosphere. Food is of high quality and is freshly prepared. Exceptional service given by Shiho originally from Japan. Chef Mat and his wife Shiho bring a unique blend of high quality English and Japanese cuisine to the historic town of Tewkesbury. We offer a private room which seats 16 guests and our lovely beamed restaurant seats 29. Group parties are available also fine dining and business meetings.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best food I have ever eaten!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

Brilliant service, friendly people, I can honestly say it is the best food I have ever eaten...

Prawn cocktail was immense
Stake was cooked to perfection
Home cooked chips were divine
Turkish delight ice cream...what can I say!

Other than I will be coming back very very soon!

Compliments to the chef!!!!

1 Thank Jimmyallstyle
Royden100, Owner at My Great Grandfather's, responded to this review, January 29, 2014

midlands
“Lived up to the reviews”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

Travelling up the M5 recently we diverted to Tewkesbury in search of a decent, non-motorway meal. Thanks to all who recommended this restaurant on tripadvisor as it was excellent. Small and cosy, with a welcoming log fire and service. A realistic menu in terms of choice and price - the table d'hôte was superb value for money at £20 for two courses, quality food beautifully presented. And to think we might have been eating at Roadchef or somewhere similar! We're now planning a return visit - worth a special trip if we are not passing that way soon!

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank bentleyh
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“An excellent dining experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

Last night with friends we thoroughly enjoyed a meal at this restaurant, not only was the food excellent but the quality of the evening was enhanced by the friendly service from our waitress, who showed extreme tolerance to our light hearted attitude. Thank you for a smashing evening and excellet food.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank robert W
Cheltenham
“WHO WRITES THESE REVIEWS????”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

Are our tastebuds different from everyone else's or does the average reviewer on TripAdviser have no clue about food? My husband and I were completely taken in by the enthusiasm for this little restaurant and took our son their for a special lunch just before Christmas. We all skipped breakfast, so seduced were we by the glowing testimonials and the lovely food photography on the restaurant's website. There is no question that the hostess is utterly charming - people were stopping by to say hello and drop off cards the whole time we were there - but being pleasant does not, in my view, a five star restaurant make.
The decor is naff: too many ornaments for my taste but I could overlook that if the grub was good. The real fire looked to me to be a real gas one but that would not really have mattered either in the scheme of things. The food, unfortunately, was not good. Yes, the portions were large but size is not necessarily always a positive. My son ordered mussels and was served a huge bowl in a strangely flavoured sauce. My husband had the grilled goats cheese garnished prettily with strawberries in a balsamic glaze. His starter was large enough for me to share with him. Not much wrong with the grilling of the cheese but the strawberry garnish, while interesting, did not work. James' cod was competently done but the topside of beef had been cooked so long it was grey. My combination pie [steak up one end with cauliflower cheese the other] tasty meat, uncooked veg and a thick lid of curiously pale but puffy pastry that was unappetizing. This is the sort of food that I would expect to get in a pit stop pub not in a restaurant that has gathered so many 5 star reviews. It made me wonder how so many people arrived at the level of praise this lacklustre restaurant has attracted. I think it must be for the charm of the staff. I am not sure that charm alone is worth a £75 bill.

• Visited December 2012
6 Thank CAMPOLINDO
Dear Sir / Madam
We have taken on board what you have said and we are very sorry you did not enjoy your time with us.
We hope to see you another day and we wish you well
Twyning, United Kingdom
“Great food, if in a quirky setting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

Do not be put off by the "lucky" cats in the window, this is not a chinese restuarant, but a good little European restuarant. The decor is cross over country pub with real fire and "Chinese" finishings (the cats!), and the food is very good. The portion size is large, so take care hen ordering starters. The starter is the size of the main, and the main could pass as a sharing course! Order frugally, and you will not be disappointed. The food is well cooked, if a little rich, but the place is well worth exploring.

• Visited December 2012