“Great food, if in a quirky setting”

My Great Grandfather's
Ranked #1 of 81 Restaurants in Tewkesbury
Cuisines: British
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: 16Th Century building with open fire and cosy surroundings and wonderful atmosphere. Food is of high quality and is freshly prepared. Exceptional service given by Shiho originally from Japan. Chef Mat and his wife Shiho bring a unique blend of high quality English and Japanese cuisine to the historic town of Tewkesbury. We offer a private room which seats 16 guests and our lovely beamed restaurant seats 29. Group parties are available also fine dining and business meetings.
Twyning, United Kingdom
“Great food, if in a quirky setting”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Do not be put off by the "lucky" cats in the window, this is not a chinese restuarant, but a good little European restuarant. The decor is cross over country pub with real fire and "Chinese" finishings (the cats!), and the food is very good. The portion size is large, so take care hen ordering starters. The starter is the size of the main, and the main could pass as a sharing course! Order frugally, and you will not be disappointed. The food is well cooked, if a little rich, but the place is well worth exploring.

• Visited December 2012
Royden100, Owner at My Great Grandfather's, responded to this review, January 29, 2014

Exeter, United Kingdom
“Impressive fish impressive dedication”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

We called in by chance between Christmas and New Year. Outside there are two set of menus displayed. One on the window which we didn't see had their special offer of 2 courses for £20 and the other near the door was a smaller display case and only had the la Carte menu. Other people had checked this out and wandered off - which I think was unfortunate as they would have had a wonderful meal in delightful surroundings. It has a Les Routier award and 5 stars for the new "scores on the Doors" hygenie rating scheme that Local authorities are running to ensure standards are high in kitchens where food is prepared. Something to watch out for in all establishments as those with low scores don't tend to display them. We found the interior, cosy with a cheering open fire on a wet and windy night. We were welcomed enthusiastically and were pleased to find details of the 2 courses for £20 offer. I chose the cod with a herb , chilli and parmesan topping. Choosing fish is often a chancy thing to do when so far from the sea. ( We live near the sea and are spoiled by having lots of fish restuarants serving freshly landed fish.) It was a good choice. The cod was superb- so fresh it must have still been swimming less than 24 hours ago. On enquiry it seemed that the lady serving us was one of the owners and had been to Birmingham fish market at 3am that morning and was still waiting on and possibly helping out in the kitchen too when we left late that evening. Their dedication and enthusiasm cannot be faulted.The food, service and presentation was excellent. This is a well-run small, family establishment and we were so happy to have found them.

1 Thank archers2009
Royden100, Manager at My Great Grandfather's, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Ross-on-Wye
“I never thought I would say this!”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

We are members of the Gourmet Society, and chose this restaurant from their selection in Gloucester. It is a small, intimate restaurant with a warming fire (we were there in Winter), with black and white beams, and low ceilings. The menu selection was good, and the charming hostess was more than helpful with our selection. The starters arrived, and I never thought I would say this, but there was too much food. I had a Prawn Cocktail which appeared to be the size of a main course meal. By the time I had finished it, my appetite had wained, and the thought of eating my Lamb Shank was challenging. At the end of the meal, the staff had no problems with giving us a doggy bag to take the remainders home and enjoy the next day. Wow! The food was well prepared and cooked, and beautifully presented.We would certainly go back again as, apart from the good food, the value for money was excellent.

2 Thank Hugh E
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“small but nice”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

This is a very nice little place, it is small but in the winter they have an open fire which is fantastic, the food is really good and the service is excellent.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank marian l
Dear Sir/ Madam
We are very pleased you enjoyed your time with us
My wife and I are looking forward to seeing you again shortly

Rawcliffe, United Kingdom
“The old chap got it just right!”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

We visited this restaurant during our weekend stay in Tewkesbury and found it to be just the ticket. The service was good, the food better and the atmosphere excellent.

After visiting the Abbey, the evening meal at Grandfathers was the icing on the cake! The portions were ample; the presentation was immaculate and taste was delicious. The only fault was that the "chunky vegetable soup" was not as good as was expected, having only a few carrots and peas and not much else.

Having said that, however, we all six of us enjoyed the meal.

1 Thank foliofreak