“A nice pub!”

The Gardeners Arms
Ranked #8 of 80 Restaurants in Tewkesbury
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: A 16th century thatched building nestled in the heart of the Cotswold village of Alderton. Just a 10 minute drive from Cheltenham and off junction 9 of the M5 we are ideally situated for any dining occasion. Open from 9.30 am serving fresh coffee with a smile, our award winning Freehouse epitomises everything that is good about homecooking, hospitality and value for money.
Central Scotland
“A nice pub!”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We visited for dinner as we were staying nearby for the Cheltenham festival. We ordered burgers and were not dissapointed, they were huge and very tasty. The house wine was also very nice, and there were a number of guest beers on tap. The staff were very accomodating and helpful. This is a nice local pub, and well worth visiting to eat or drink.

• Visited April 2012

south wales
“Excellent service and food”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

My husband and I went to the Garneners Arms for dinner 2 weeks ago. It was Sunday night and quieter. Food was lovely and staff was friendly.
I had a pint of bitter (Track Record by Prescott).
I think they take good care of beer because it was really nice!
If we go to Cotswolds again, we will definitely go back to the pub again!

Visited March 2013
Torquay, United Kingdom
“Alright, but could have been better”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Although this is an old traditional country pub, it was far from cosy - I was frozen ! The poem on the wall, written in 1921 by a long gone villager, made pleasant reading whilst I waited for my food. When it arrived, I thought the goat's cheese starter was small in size and big on cost -rather disappointing. The main course was satisfactory, but when I paid the bill, I was stunned to find it came to nearly £18, with one modest drink, even with a discount as I was sent by a nearby B&B. Will go elsewhere next time in Alderton.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank mariecorina
cheltenham uk
“Excellent value”
Reviewed March 8, 2013

The all day breakfast, (lage version) was superb value, the best ever my husband had encountered. My fish pie was creamy and delicious. Staff welcoming and friendly, they made sure we were very well looked after. Would certainly recommend it.

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank lyn r
Newcastle upon Tyne
“Good pub food, well-kept beer and cider”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

We've been going here for years and it had seemed to go into the doldrums a bit on the food side. However, on our last visit at the beginning of February, we ate very well in the evening. They were so busy that they could only fit us in at 18:30.

Cheerful, efficient service from a couple of charming and attentive waitresses. The "tapas" starters were clearly shop-bought but were good value and the more you have the cheaper they get. The food was good, I had a very good steak and ale pie with proper short-crust pastry and a very tasty filling. My only (small) criticism is that I found the gravy a bit thin and could have done with a spoon. My wife had pheasant, which was well-cooked, although not quite as well-hung as she would have liked. However, I appreciate that not everybody likes it very 'gamey'.

The wine list is short and the still wines favour the New World. Mark ups are modest, with 16 wines under £20:00, including the non-champagne fizz.

They do take-away too. In addition to the standard burger/sausage/scampi/haddock and chips they do most of the menu to take-away at 20% off and they also do off-sales of beer and wine. Handy if you're self-catering in the Village (we were staying in the lovely Cider Mill Cottage)

They keep a (changing) range of well-kept real ales and have beer festivals in the large garden from time to time.

Dog-friendly, child-friendly. There is much to like.

• Visited February 2013