“Alright, but could have been better”
Review of The Gardeners Arms

The Gardeners Arms
Ranked #13 of 78 Restaurants in Tewkesbury
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: A 16th century thatched building nestled in the heart of the Cotswold village of Alderton. Just a 10 minute drive from Cheltenham and off junction 9 of the M5 we are ideally situated for any dining occasion. Open from 9.30 am serving fresh coffee with a smile, our award winning Freehouse epitomises everything that is good about homecooking, hospitality and value for money.
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Although this is an old traditional country pub, it was far from cosy - I was frozen ! The poem on the wall, written in 1921 by a long gone villager, made pleasant reading whilst I waited for my food. When it arrived, I thought the goat's cheese starter was small in size and big on cost -rather disappointing. The main course was satisfactory, but when I paid the bill, I was stunned to find it came to nearly £18, with one modest drink, even with a discount as I was sent by a nearby B&B. Will go elsewhere next time in Alderton.

1  Thank mariecorina

Reviewed March 8, 2013

The all day breakfast, (lage version) was superb value, the best ever my husband had encountered. My fish pie was creamy and delicious. Staff welcoming and friendly, they made sure we were very well looked after. Would certainly recommend it.

2  Thank lyn r
Reviewed February 6, 2013

We've been going here for years and it had seemed to go into the doldrums a bit on the food side. However, on our last visit at the beginning of February, we ate very well in the evening. They were so busy that they could only fit us in at 18:30.

Cheerful, efficient service from a couple of charming and attentive waitresses. The "tapas" starters were clearly shop-bought but were good value and the more you have the cheaper they get. The food was good, I had a very good steak and ale pie with proper short-crust pastry and a very tasty filling. My only (small) criticism is that I found the gravy a bit thin and could have done with a spoon. My wife had pheasant, which was well-cooked, although not quite as well-hung as she would have liked. However, I appreciate that not everybody likes it very 'gamey'.

The wine list is short and the still wines favour the New World. Mark ups are modest, with 16 wines under £20:00, including the non-champagne fizz.

They do take-away too. In addition to the standard burger/sausage/scampi/haddock and chips they do most of the menu to take-away at 20% off and they also do off-sales of beer and wine. Handy if you're self-catering in the Village (we were staying in the lovely Cider Mill Cottage)

They keep a (changing) range of well-kept real ales and have beer festivals in the large garden from time to time.

Dog-friendly, child-friendly. There is much to like.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

We decided to give The Gardeners Arms a try when we realised it was a dog friendly pub. We received a friendly, warm welcome from the staff & the resident dog! The level of attention & service we received was excellent. The interior of the pub has been very nicely decorated & furnished giving it a warm, homely feel. We thoroughly enjoyed our meals & will definitely be returning. Even our dog gave it the paws up!

1  Thank Minchew1981
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Whilst well signed from the main road this is a well hidden gem of a pub. We were staying at the local Camping and Caravan Club site - so very local for us. The choice of beers was excellent - doesn't quite equate to all of those beer mats on display though! Food of an excellent quality and served by very friendly staff. certainly look to visit again next time we are in the area

1  Thank Tim B