“Not Sure About Upper Deck” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Village Hotel Birmingham Walsall

Village Hotel Birmingham Walsall
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Walsall
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
“Not Sure About Upper Deck”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

We stayed here as we were attending a function and decided to go for an Upper Deck room, although the bed was really comfortable the room was on the small side and overlooked the air conditioning units. There are no children allowed in this part of the accommodation so we had a lovely lie in. You get 'Take Home Toiletries' and a 'Starbucks' refreshment package although we only had decaf coffee so had to ask for regular and this wasn't Starbucks!! I don't know if its worth the extra £20 that we paid for an Upper Deck room as haven't tried a standard one but it didn't really seem to be.
The staff in all areas were brilliant, really friendly and helpful and the service was more like that you'd expect in a smaller hotel.
Location is easy to get to as its seconds off the motorway.
Our lie in meant we missed breakfast (!) and we didn't use the pool or gym but did see the pool which looked big for a hotel pool.
i would definitely stay again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

We were welcomed warmly at the hotel. My husband and I had upgraded to their Upperdeck offering - what a disappointment. Might as well have stayed in the standard room for the extra that we received - shampoo and soap and one sachet of ordinary coffee and six decaff sachets between the two of us and when we did make a cup we had to sit on the bed to drink it because there was no where else in the room where you could put your cup down. Oh I forgot we also had a biscuit to share between the two of us and two tea bags. As we were there for a family reunion the focus was very much on the get together over the evening meal so there was little point dwelling on the poor value represented in the Upperdeck room - but oh dear the evening meal just compounded the earlier disappointment another massive massive disappointment - poorly cooked and representing very poor quality for money. Still we were together as a family and we enjoyed ourselves. So why am I complaining now - well the following morning I mentioned the lack of coffee and team making facilities to the reception staff when I was booking out - they were very apologetic and professional and even offered to buy me a cup of coffee. I thought no more of it . However so why am I doing this review - I received an e mail this morning from another member of their staff defending all aspects of the concerns I had - what do they say - the customer is always right - it appears not - at the Village Hotel they are always right.

Room Tip: Do not book the Upperdeck - you get very little extra for the additional cost
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Walsall hotels

UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

I only spent a single night here a few days ago but would use Village Hotels again. The location is not great for the views but it is just off the motorway so very easy to find.

The room ("Upper Deck") was small and clean as was the bathroom and furnished like all business type hotels tend to be these days. Muted with a splash of colour. The bed was very comfy and warm and the bed linen crisp.

The food was Ok, nothing to write home about, but nothing terrible either.

The staff were the best point about the hotel. They were very friendly and accommodating and always seemed to be smiling.

I am not sure i would pay for "Upper Deck" at this hotel again as the room I was in overlooked the air conditioning units outside and the noise was quite loud. If you are a light sleeper it would keep you awake.

Overall, not a bad place for an overnight stay.

Room Tip: 3rd floor "Upper Deck" rooms...make sure you don't overlook the air con. units outside...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
stratford-upon-avon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

Knew Village hotels were a leisure hotel service offering by Devere having booked them many times in past for work.

However all staff members we came across from the Reception, gym and bar/restaurant staff were engaged happy helpful and a pleasure to deal with

Comfortable modern room

For money excellent value.

A must do

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

My husband and I have stayed at the Village several times a year and every New years eve. The last couple of times we were disturbed by young kids running up and down corridors and lots of banging on floors. The usual kind of things young kids do. Now I am not complaining too much about it on those trips because we stayed in the cheaper rooms.
This year reading about the UPPER DECK rooms and seeing that it said NO CHILDREN ALLOWED I was really excited and sold my husband on it. After all after a night out celebrating and drinking and not getting to sleep till around 2am you really do need a lie it.. Booked the rooms and couldn't wait to have a good nights sleep there for the first time.
How wrong was I. Yes, what was stated no children allowed was true however it only meant that children were not allowed to stay in the rooms allocated to the upper decks. It didn't say that children wont be on the 3rd floor because they are. Lots of them. There are only so many rooms allocated to upper deck but the rest of the rooms are still normal ones. With kids in :/ . I don't think it would have been any different if we had stayed in one of the normal room. I was very disappointment in this. You would think that they would keep all the rd floor for adults only.
Anyway, Upper deck rooms. The bed is very comfortable the room itself is ok. Too much paraphernalia all over the room about different things that the hotel has. Starbucks in the room and a couple of cups and toiletries in little bottles 2 of everything which was nice.Tv with Sky movies would be great if staying a few nights, docking station if you are fortunate to own a iPod and the WiFi was rather slow. Now to the bad bit .. The room we had room 307, the sink in the bathroom is cracked which I think spoils it. It is very hot in the room and that was without the heating on. Luckily there is a fan provided in the room. I opened the windows but had to shut them again after half hour as I couldn't stand the noise. I dread to think what it must be like on the second floor and in the summer. Picture enclosed with the view from our room.
As always a lovely breakfast and a great selection too.. I did noticed that the coffee pots were already made up when we got there and our tea and coffee was not really hot. I think they should be made fresh but I know sometime that isn't possible. But we were in the breakfast area and the pots of coffee were on the side and were then given to guest as we were leaving there. I would imagine theirs would have been very cold by then..
The staff are all lovely and always willing to help you if you need something too..
All in all I would have to say that I was disappointed and I think The De Vere Village should inform people that although the room are described as not allowing children in them, they could still be roomed on the same floor as you..

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
stratford upon avon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2013

What a refreshing change to visit a hotel where every single member of staff could not have done more to ensure we had a pleasant stay. We stayed during a very busy time as the hotel was hosting a number of Christmas parties and it would have been easy to have let standards drop, but they didn't.
We only stayed one night but from the service at reception, the leisure club, Victory bar, breakfast and Starbucks was all brilliant.
The room had everything you would expect,the pool is huge, the food was freshly cooked and the car park is huge and free.
If you need to be in the area then I am certain you won’t do better.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Stephen C, General Manager at Village Hotel Birmingham Walsall, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Dear Crowies,

A quick email to thank you for taking the time to share your veiw of the hotel with trip advisor. We were delighted to read that you were impressed with the service and facilities on offer in all of the outlets despite the busy time of year.
We hope to see you again when nxt visiting the area

In the meantime

Yours sincerely
Exeter, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2013

Stayed for one night on business. Staff were very efficient and welcoming, pillows changed with no problems and helpful with getting wifi and tv sorted. My room was upper deck as all the others were full and it was good. Very comfortable with everything expected in a modern hotel. Food was better than I expected given the bar environment. Breakfast ok. Pricey for Walsall.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Antras,

Thanks for your recent of the hotel, we were delighted to read that you found the service and faciltiies to be of a good standard.
We look forward to welcoming you back when next in the area, business or pleasure.

Yours sincerely
Also consider these accommodations in or near Walsall
Village Hotel Birmingham Dudley
Holiday Inn Walsall M6, Jct.10
Holiday Inn Express Walsall
Fairlawns Hotel And Spa
Fairlawns Hotel And Spa
#1 of 1 in Aldridge
Premier Inn Walsall Town Centre Hotel
Premier Inn Walsall (M6, J10) Hotel

Been to Village Hotel Birmingham Walsall? Share your experiences!