“Good but some very bad points”

Holiday Inn Walsall M6, Jct.10
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Walsall
Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

We stayed as a family on Christmas Day and Boxing Day, the manager on boxing night was brilliant sorted us with food for kids at 930 pm and was very welcoming as was the rest of the staff. The major downside was the sofa bed, it had completely collapsed and when we looked at the mattress it was soaking wet meaning the housekeeping had just flipped the mattress when someone wet themselves before our stay, this has ruined my experience but I will return again but just check the room first

• Stayed: December 2013
Scott R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Walsall M6, Jct.10, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2013

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments following your recent stay with us.

I am glad you were looked after so well by the team and pleased your family were happy with their stay.

I will speak to the housekeeping team regarding the sofa bed as theses should be checked each time they are used, so no excuses there. You will certainly not have to check them yourselves when you next stay.

Thank you once again for your comments.

Reviewed December 21, 2013

wow it was not an express... a number of us booked and stayed overnight on Saturday 14th December. it was a great hotel with easy access of the motorway and it is not the express but the full brand hotel. My room was very clean and large, it was extremely comfortable and we throughly enjoyed our stay... Hotel also had ample free parking. The breakfast was fantastic and staff very helpful and attentive.

would recommend it.

Room Tip: we had the Exec rom which wer very nice.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Scott R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Walsall M6, Jct.10, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2013

Hi Hitesh,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your recent stay with us.

I was delighted to read how comfortable your stay was and how clean you found your room. The breakfast team were also very pleased to read how helpful and attentive you found them.

Over Christmas the team really do work especially hard to please all of the guests we have in the hotel and I really appreciate your comments they will give them a great boost.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Reviewed December 21, 2013

This was a memorable experience, but for the wrong reasons. We stayed on the weekend of 13-15 Dec 13 in order to visit close family and the Birmingham Christmas market. What we weren't prepared for was staying in a hotel was more akin to a nightclub than a Holiday Inn. There were large organised parties on both nights of Friday and Saturday. The parties were hosted in the hotels public rooms, which meant that the dining facility was closed to hotel guests (no notice given) and that the bar was full of loud, merry and singing party goers – intent on having a good time, regardless of anyone else around them. No provision was made for regular hotel guests; no quiet area to enjoy a drink and conversation and there was nowhere to dine on the premises (contrary to the hotels advertised facilities); on return back to the hotel you had to push your way into the hotel entrance passed the many smokers. We had to retire to our room to evade the noise. The music eventually stopped at thirty minutes passed midnight; then after a further hour of drunken party goers in the corridors we were able to get some sleep. This was the routine for both the Friday and Saturday nights.
We complained to the desk and all we received were verbal apologies (nothing practical); the duty manager took our complaint and details, but we are still waiting a response? I can only assume that this particular Holiday Inn doesn't take customer complaints too seriously.
My advice is to give this hotel a wide berth, at least until after the holiday season – definitely not a venue for children from my personal experience.
Generally very disappointed that Holiday Inn put these parties on in public rooms to the detriment of other hotel guests.
On check out I was one of many complaining about their experiences as a consequence of the poor service received at this hotel.
Perhaps this is a hotel struggling with its identity - Party Venue or Hotel? You can't have it both ways Holiday Inn...

Room Tip: Choose a room as far away from the public rooms as possible to avoid to noise!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank gjones610

Hi,

It was disappointing to read your comments regarding your stay, as the team always strive to deliver if not exceed the expectations of all of our guests irrespective of the purpose.

I am also sorry you were not communicated to about the alternative arrangements whilst we hosted our Christmas Parties. We did indeed have a very detailed menu available in the lounge of the hotel and also the full room service menu.

Thank you once again for your points.

Reviewed December 19, 2013

Wow, how confusing, Holiday inn express on one side of roundabout and Holiday Inn on the other, I booked the Holiday Inn, booked over three days in advance and got a great value deal.
My room was large, clean, tidy and cozy although quite a trek from the reception. The staff were very attentive, especially at dinner in the evening, I had the duck, which was really nice.
I spend at least one night per month in Walsall and I think this will be my choice of accomodation as unlike Premier Inn in the town centre this one had ample free parking.
Breakfast was good and again staff were very helpful and attentive,
I will be back

Room Tip: some rooms are a long walk from the restaurant and reception
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Hi,

We were all pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and the team looked after you. It really is a great advantage having such a large free car park.

I am glad you been converted in that we would love to have you visit again the next time you are in the Walsall area.

Thank you once again for your time, kind regards

Reviewed December 17, 2013 via mobile

Thankfully we use trip advisor sensibly and don't take too much notice of certain reviews where people obviously have unrealistic expectations in relation to their spend!!
This hotel was very good, comfortable, modern and with a decent level of service.
We have family in the area and have found somewhere we feel we could visit again.

Stayed: November 2013
Scott R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Walsall M6, Jct.10, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2013

Hi,

It was refreshing to read your points and reassuring not all the comments are taken at face value on websites. I am pleased in this case that you chose to make your own mind up on your stay and had a great one!

I hope you enjoyed your time with your family and we would love to welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed December 16, 2013

This is a bar with a hotel attached. If you like being awakened at 1am and 3 am by drunks wandering the halls and making merry, this is the place for you! Tacky drunk people smoking outside the front door welcome you.

Heat in the room did not work. Got extra blankets. By the morning it was a sauna.

"Spa not working" sign looked permanent. Breakfast is disgusting.

Hard bed was like sleeping on a billiards table. NO SYMPATHY from the management at checkout - he ducked into the back as soon as I started to complain. Two nights of no sleep and a breakfast I wish I had skipped. Avoid at all costs.

Room Tip: DO NOT book here unless you want to pick up a tramp in the lobby bar and do not plan on sleeping or...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Sleepycranky

Hi,

I am sorry your stay did not turn out to be the most comfortable it could have been. Unfortunately despite our best interests of advising all party goers to respect all the guests in the hotel over the festive season there is still an element that do forget.

It was disappointing to read your comments on breakfast as we have always been proud of the experience our guests have at this important time of the day. The team were also upset about reading the comments and are working hard to ensure the standards are maintained.

I do believe that your experience was an isolated one and would love to welcome you back to the hotel to prove that this was the case.

Reviewed December 16, 2013

My husband and I stayed at hotel a Friday 13th a December and a Saturday 14th as we were visiting family. We arrived around 1 pm and I went to a Reception to check in - we were not expecting the room to be ready. First impression was not great - there was nobody on Reception but eventually a receptionist did appear. I said I wanted to check in but was not expecting the room to be ready . She made no comment, save to ask me to sign the Priority Club arrivals list. She then handed me the key without a word, nor with any instructions such as where to find the room , times of bar and restaurant opening etc.

We returned to the hotel around 7pm and found our room . The room was spotless (no 148) but the easy hair was missing. As we wanted to order room service we needed this chair. The air Von/ heater was stuck on 26degrees and was VERY noisy so we reported this to Reception. A very pleasant young woman came to our room and said she would have to ask Maintenance about the heater and also agreed the easy chair should have been in the room so would arrange for one to be delivered to us. At this point I tried to ring Room Service but there was no reply. We knew the bar was very busy so I kept trying for up to half an hour. A young man arrived with two soiled Banqueting chairs, but he was so pleasant we did not say anything. He said he would get the duty manager to look at heater. Then we got a call from the duty manager asking if we would like to change rooms. We were surprised at this as the hotel seemed to be full but thought it a lovely gesture so we agreed ( she also managed to place our room service order for us!)

We stay at lots of different hotels and use Holiday Inns as a preferred choice, but this was the best service we have experienced and want to say 'Thank a You' to all concerned. We will definitely return!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Hi Sue,

I am sorry you encountered a few challenges whilst with us, but I am delighted to see the team related well and really looked after you.

I hope you enjoyed your time with the family and we would love to welcome you back again next time you are paying a visit.

Scott Randall

Also consider these accommodations in or near Walsall
Holiday Inn Express Walsall
Village Hotel Birmingham Walsall
Park Inn by Radisson Birmingham Walsall
Fairlawns Hotel And Spa
Holiday Inn Birmingham M6, Jct. 7
Best Western Birmingham Walsall Barons Court Hotel

Been to Holiday Inn Walsall M6, Jct.10? Share your experiences!