“Just not quite right....”

Holiday Inn Walsall M6, Jct.10
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Walsall
North East England, United Kingdom
“Just not quite right....”
Reviewed December 4, 2012

A sprawling two floor hotel right beside the M6 at Junction 10 may not sound like too good an intro! But the site has a lot to commend it - it's shielded from some motorway noise by a thick row of trees and shrubs; many of the rooms face away from the road, backing onto lawns and houses; only two floors high so no-one looks down onto heavy interurban traffic; plenty of car parking; frequent buses pass the entrance going to Walsall and Wolverhampton.
The rooms are modern and up-to-date, clean and well presented as always at a Holiday inn. It's just that all was not well. Our room (250) backed onto what looked like the plant for the swimming pool - noisy even with the windows shut and hopeless with them open. No trouble getting moved but that solved my problem not the main issue! No towels in the second room but a call had them brought within a few minutes. Reception staff attitude was a problem - no feeling that we were welcome or that they actually gave a damn!
Giving Priority Club customers a voucher for one drink looks handy - but asking the bar server to serve the pint of beer on offer as two halves was not a good move! At 5.30 pm the bar tables were still stained with dried-on remnants of earlier drink service.
After a very busy breakfast session the buffet was depleted and choice limited by 9.15 am. By then the staff members were clearly tired and getting tea and coffee meant waylaying a waiter because all eye-contact with any customer was actively avoided.
So, in summary, nice place spoilt by poor management and lack of attention to detail.

Room Tip: Keep away from room numbers around 250 and those on the front elevation because that faces the motor...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Claire P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Walsall M6, Jct.10, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear shipyardtales,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent visit to the hotel. I must say I am pleased and sorry for the experience as it seems to have been a mixed one.
I am glad you enjoyed your bedroom, as you say we have only opened in the last 12 months and the bedrooms are of a great new standard. I am also pleased you were recognised as a Priority Club member there are some great benefits from the programme.
Having recently joined the business there are a number of enhancements we are currently making to the business to improve the custoemr journey and would very much hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future to discuss how these changes have impacted the business.
Thank you once again for your time, regards
Scott Randall

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Oxford
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Since my first review of this hotel I have stayed on a further two occasions. First was a couple of months ago. I booked a standard room with the hope of an upgrade as a platinum member. The receptionist couldn't have been more miserable she made it very plain that she was not going to upgrade me with the usual lie that there are no executive rooms available. I informed her that they were available to book online and therefore must be available. She just shrugged and said there were none. The night manager was equally unhelpful and unfriendly giving me some rubbish about the online booking system not being up to date. Just couldn't be bothered would have been far more likely. After my stay I sent an email to the general manager regarding his receptionists and night managers bad attitude but he didn't bother to reply. I guess the rest of the management team and staff take their lead from his couldn't care less attitude. The second stay last night had a much cheerier guy on reception and I was immediately offered an upgrade and checked in to a really nice clean and comfortable executive room. A great start! At around 7pm I decided to go down for dinner. When I got to the bar it was packed with various Christmas parties complete with full restaurant and noisy disco. After a 25 minute wait to get served at the bar I asked if I could get some food. I was told they were not doing any food as they were full of Christmas party bookings. The barman suggested room service. This was fine as it was so busy and noisy. I phoned down to place my order and got told that on top of the £13.95 I was being asked to pay for a burger I would then have to pay £4.50 tray charge and then 10% service charge. I said I didn't think a £4.50 tray charge was appropriate as I was quite happy to eat in the restaurant they just wouldn't let me. The lady on the phone said she would fetch the restaurant manager. Her attitude was as good as the night manager on my previous visit. She would not budge on the tray charge. Just repeating over and over how busy they were and if I wanted to eat I would have to pay the £4.50. She might as well have said we are busy enough and couldn't give a damn if you eat here or not. On closer inspection of the menu there is no mention of a tray charge just very small print telling you that the 10% service charge goes to pay the staff bonus! Is it just me that thinks that is disgusting? If holiday inn value their staff and want to pay them a bonus that's great but why the hell should I pay it for them? In the end I decided the £20 total charge for a burger and chips was too much to swallow and went elsewhere. Checkout next day was terrible. A queue of 4 people waiting to pay and an unmanned reception. We all waited 10 minutes, still nobody, so we just left. It is such a shame as this is a recently refurbished hotel in a great location. All it needs is a new management team without the couldn't care less attitude.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Andy C
Claire P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Walsall M6, Jct.10, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear Andy,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent experience, I am sorry to read it was no-where near the standards you should expect when visiting us.
I have recently joined the hotel as the General Manager and value our guests feedback, as it gives us an immediate direction to focus our development on.
Following your previous visit I was pleased to see the attitude of reception has improved, but equally embarassed of your experience within the restaurant. Regardless of the levels of business, the least I would expect is clear communication to all of our guests whilst staying with us and to accommodate each and every one of their requests individually, which apparently did not happen in this case.
Andy, perhaps the next time you are visiting the area, you would do me the courtesy to contact me directly at the hotel and I can take care of all your arrangements for you. It would also be good to meet with you and catch up regarding your previous experiences and I could let you know of the changes we are making.
Thank you once again for your feedback, it is invaluable to continually develop our business.
Scott Randall

Travelers are raving about these Walsall hotels

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Arrived to a lovly welcome drink, with a chance to relax in the lounge, we were showed through to the resturant which was decorated and looked amazing the table stocked with wine which was a very nice touch, we cant thank the staff enough, rob and avi and the team did very well and are a privlage to the hotel. And WOW what a dinner what can i say tasted fab and very good portion sizes,and with out a doubt better than the village hotel where we spent last xmas, it was an great deal and would recomend to any one..
Was good to see the chef out talking to the guest's and getting feedback at the end of the night was a nice little touch, great music,attmosphere and overall night

Dear Shez 25,
Thank you for commenting on your recent party night with us. I am delighted to hear all the hard work we put in to our customer service is actually received.
As you mentioned the evening was a great success and we have received a number of positive comments, including repeat bookings already for next year which is great.
I was also pleased to receive your comments mentioning Rob and Avi, whom I will take time to congratulate. It was also nice to get feedback on the chef, who takes a lot of pride in his work and Michael has requested to come 'out front' and solicit for feedback, to continually develop the experience we offfer. These guys work so hard to deliver great customer service, it is nice to have the feedabck to give to them.
Thank you once agian for the comments, I wish you a very Merry Christmas and New Year for the rest of the festive season and look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Cornwall, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 1, 2012

We stayed for just one night utilising a double and a single room on the ground floor. Both were clean and well set out. We were at the back of the hotel so it was quiet. The room heating system worked well.

We arrived late and were told we would not be able to order in the restaurant for a further 30 mins as there was a wedding reception. We ordered lasagne and chilli from the bar menu, . Both were adequate although perhaps pricey for what they were. It is always difficult when arriving late to find good food. We would have tried to find somewhere else but were too tired.

The beds were comfortable and we had a good night’s sleep. The reception staff were helpful providing a print out of directions to our next destination.

I would use this hotel again if in the area.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Walsall, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 1, 2012

I had a brill nite ,staff were very friendly and good service,the food was fantastic no complaints from me.I would go there again but sleep there.roll on next yr xx.I would recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed November 2012
Walsall, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 30, 2012

I had a brill nite at the holiday inn,the food was fantastic and the service was really good.I would recommend this holiday inn to anyone with the food and drink.Thanks for a brill nite its made my xmas.It was very clean and staff were polite.

Dear Debbie,
Thank you Debbie for taking the time to comment on your recent party night at the hotel. I was delighted to read you had a great evening and that the food and service received was great.
It was also nice of you to mention the team, I will certainly pass these comments on, as they work very hard over this period, it will give them a great lift.
I hope the rest of your festive season goes as well and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.
Kindest regards
northern england
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Stayed here with a group going to Birmingham Tattoo with National Holidays. Room fine, clean and comfortable as was bathroom. No face cloth provided, maybe they get stolen regularly, and bath towels could be larger. I was given more coffee sachets when I spoke to the receptionist. Evening meal (included in price) was not very good, two choices available although I think a vegetarian managed to get some fish. Breakfast basic but OK but more staff needed as queue built up quickly and it was only served for one hour. Coffee at breakfast was good

Dear Walnutwonder,
I would like to thank you for commenting on your recent visit with us at the Holiday Inn M6 Jct 10. It was nice to hear that you enjoyed the bedrooms and they were clean and comfortable, I am sure with a busy weekend it helped you to relax, when with us.
It was also nice to see reception accommodated your requests for extra coffee and the coffee at breakfast was enjoyed.
The timings at breakfast were disappointing to read as the breakfast room is open from 6.30am until 9.30am Monday to Friday then, 7am until 10.30am on Saturday and Sunday, so I am not sure if your schedule only allocated the 1 hour you mention. Perhaps next time you could take advantage of our room service delivery and enjoy that much needed extra 10 minutes.
Thank you once again for your comments, having recently joined the hotel it is great feedback to focus our efforts on.
Scott Randall
Also consider these accommodations in or near Walsall
Holiday Inn Express Walsall
Village Hotel Birmingham Walsall
Park Inn by Radisson Birmingham Walsall
Holiday Inn Birmingham M6, Jct. 7
Fairlawns Hotel And Spa
Best Western Birmingham Walsall Barons Court Hotel

Been to Holiday Inn Walsall M6, Jct.10? Share your experiences!