“Super Value”

and 1 more site!
The County Hotel
Ranked #13 of 13 Hotels in Walsall
Reviewed December 6, 2013

I enjoyed a two night stay at this hotel which a thought was excellent value for money. I paid £30 per night for a single room and was given a free up-grade to a double.
The staff are friendly, room was clean and well equipped with flat screen tv, hair drier (not that I need it), trouser press and good bathroom.
Will be using again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for The County Hotel

Reviewed September 24, 2013

I am writing this somewhat sleep deprived as I ended up sleeping in my car!

On arrival staff were pleasant enough, the public areas seemed fine but when I got to my room I was more than a little disappointed.

Room 50 is so small you can touch both walls if you stretch your arms out but has a double bed in it so you can barely open the bathroom door without climbing over the bed! The bed itself was covered in a nylon duvet cover that had patches of oil stains like someone had just eaten a fish supper on the bed. The valance didn't fit and I found a dirty old sock under the bed! Nice

There are no windows per se so the room was hot and stuffy. Carpets could do with a good clean too but this was just the start of the nightmare.

My night was disturbed by a constant deep thrumming drone which made it impossible to sleep interspersed with an intermittent rumbling that sounded like an industrial tumble dryer. Not able to sleep by 2am I went to report it to the Night Reception so possibly get a room change.

Hotel was apparently full so he couldn't do anything, by 4am I had had enough and left the room to sleep in the car. With less than an hours sleep I am not looking forward to my training course and have been booked in here for 3 nights!

Oh, there's petty grumbles too. No spoons on the Tea/Coffee tray. No remote control for the TV which meant you had to fiddle round the back of the TV to switch on or change channels. Just pleased I didn't find a dirty sock lurking behind there too!!

Very poor first impressions and will be speaking to my employers to get me out of here ASAP!

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Andy S
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We recently attended a wedding at this hotel. My wife stayed as the venue was fully booked and only a single room was available. I attended on the day of the wedding. The hotel is located on the main Birmingham road and so access to and from the motorway is fairly easy. The hotel has two car parks, one directly in front of the hotel and an overflow car park on the other side of the road and between a row of residential houses. The hotel itself from the outside is of a moderate size and a bit tired looking but it does have some fairly nice gardens which we used to take photos after the wedding. In the centre of this lawn garden was a fountain that was desperately in need of a clean. On enering the hotel you find a very small reception area with the smallest reception desk in the world. The ground floor appeared to consist of a bar and venue room/s. the overall decor was dated and shabby in parts. The furniture in the small bar was tired and worn and the wallpaper was peeling in several spots, including the room used for the ceremony which also doubled up as the breakfast room.the room my wife had was a single but having seen it you could perhaps argue that fact. The room was tiny with a small double bed which almost took up the entire room. The en suite was the smallest I have ever seen but was clean and functional. The tv didn't work and the window catch was broken. If you took your cat with you then I think you would have great difficulty swinging it! If all you want is somewhere to lay your head for the night then I suppose its adequate but that's about all. The positives? Well the staff appeared to be polite and friendly although one lady appeared to be doing everything from reception,bar, cleaning, general enquiries and anything else. A bit like a female MR BEN if you recall the tv series from yesteryear.
In summary the hotel is ok but very dated and probably would have been rather nice in the eighties but hasn't moved on much and could do with updating. If you want basic rooms and sparse comfort but nice staff then this is for you. if you expect a higher standard then perhaps look elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Staff are fabulous. Heating only works in one side of the hotel. Mould in every bathroom. Electrics dont work well. Badly lit bedrooms. Food is ok. Checkout out time is ridiculous on a Sunday. I run my own cleaning company. The place is filthy. Found someones pay slip under my bed from last August.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 6, 2013

This is quite possibly the worst hotel room ive ever stayed in. My 16gb memory card would run out of space if I took photographs of everything that was wrong with the room. Dirty, and tiny. TV didnt work. Nowhere to hang clothes. No towel rail. Shower was dirty. The best thing about the stay was checking out.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank Commesdesgarcons
Reviewed February 7, 2013

I had read some bad reviews so was a little worried about staying here, but on arrival all seemed to be well. The room was small, but was adequate, and the hotel seems clean and pleasant. Sadly, that is the end of the positives. We were unable to get any hot water out of the shower so after a long days travelling we couldn't have the nice hot showers we were craving. We slept dreadfully-the beds were very uncomfortable and what sounded like a demolition party began at around 1am just down the corridor from our room. The noise was horrendous and it really did sound like the building was building ripped down around us. Not what we needed as my daughter had a day of dance auditions ahead of her. Reception staff seemed uninterested when I spoke to them, and I didn't get so much as a mumbled apology. The full English breakfast was utterly tasteless and did nothing to lift our spirits. I'll stick to good old travelodge/premier inn in future.

Room Tip: Simple-stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Jeanette M
Reviewed December 14, 2012

i booked this hotel based on price and was worried when I read the reviews on here but the room I stayed in was very clean, warm and comfortable. The staff were lovely and nothing was too much trouble for them. I have booked in again for this week as I will be working in the area for a couple of months. Please ignore the negative comments on here as this hotel does not deserve them.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business